PlantFiles: Cape Ivy, German Ivy, Parlor Ivy
Delairea odorata

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Delairea (del-LAIR-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: odorata (oh-dor-AY-tuh) (Info)

Synonym:Senecio mikanioides

By Kelli
Thumbnail #7 of Delairea odorata by Kelli

No positives

Negative cabngirl On Jul 28, 2011, cabngirl from Sonoma, CA wrote:

I just now learned what this kudzu-esque vine is when I saw it for sale from Hirt's Gardens on Ebay. I felt like screaming when I saw it. I've wondered what this plant is for years. I accidentally brought some with me from a place I lived where it had grown on the side of an old wood shed. It was seemingly innocuous there, and in fact I liked it, liked the fresh herbal-green scent and the way it casually spilled over the awning.
BIG MISTAKE allowing it to live at my new residence. It's now twining into my plantings and requires constant tearing out. Any little piece of it can take. (I am in Sonoma, zone 9a/b). It has not been significantly fazed by our cold snaps which have dipped well into the 30s and even 20's a few times each winter, nor does it mind temps up into the triple digits; and is content with little water, full sun or part shade, being neglected and being crowded seems to only provide it with shelter in which to spread. Nothing eats it that I can tell. I have been considering turning to dreaded chemical means to eradicate it but as I say it's entwined with other shrubs, and near a big oak I would not want to harm. The only other thing I can think of is extreme action of cutting back and or digging up everything along that section of fence (which thank God is isolated) and then probably I'd still have to use chemical means since any little piece left will start. Any suggestions as to the best way to deal with it would be appreciated!

Negative insipidtoast On Dec 4, 2010, insipidtoast from Santa Barbara, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

I'm not sure how to notify the folks in charge of maintaining these datasheets, but this datasheet needs some major revision.

First, I can testify, firsthand, that this plant is hardy in zone 10. And, as other comments suggest, it is hardy through Zone 9, 8, and maybe even further?

Second: Since this plant is invasive in mediterranean California it clearly does not have average water needs. In our region we average about 15 inches rain/yr with a 9 month dry season.

Also, the invasive disclaimer should be applied to this one. It climbs via twining it's stems around other plants, and I have observed NO tendrils. As invasive as it is, I have not ever observed one smothering the canopy of any mature, Coast Live Oak (Quercus agrifolia). It will, however, smother everything else.

Neutral giftgas On May 7, 2009, giftgas from Everson, WA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I've been wanting this plant for a LONG time, and I've finally tracked some down. I was extremely surprised to find out that this plant was a member of the SUNFLOWER family - no wonder it grows so rapidly. :)

I am not sure how it will perform, but I am going to use it as living wallpaper inside of my house.

Negative Dave_in_Devon On Apr 10, 2006, Dave_in_Devon from Torquay
United Kingdom (Zone 9b) wrote:

Here in South West England it seems to be gaining a foothold and is an absolute menace. Its rank growth is exceptionally rapid and everything is smothered in no time at all. I first noticed it growing through scrub in coastal woodland about 15 years ago. Now it is moving inland and has even taken hold amongst native shrubs and trees in a lane behind my garden. I spent several days last year ripping it out to prevent an invasion, but this spring masses of new shoots have appeared from below soil level. It seems to run at and below soil level as well as climbing high into trees. It may have been a popular pot plant in cold, north European countries, but in mild winter regions, it is a serious menace.

Negative Kachinagirl On Jun 26, 2004, Kachinagirl from Modesto, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

California gardners are being asked by the California Invasive Plant Council to be on the lookout for this plant. It was sold by Bay Area nurseries recently and has been added to the California Noxious Weed List. In this climate it grows over other plants to form a solid mat, blocking the sun. It has been known to pull down trees by the sheer weight of it's rampant growth. California gardners have been asked not to use this plant and the California Department of Food and Agriculture added it to it's noxious weed list in 2003. The CDFA defines a noxious weed as one liable to be, "troublesome, aggressive, intrusive, detrimental or destructive" to agriculture, forests or native species. (See the San Jose Mercury News / Friday June 25, 2004 / http://www.mercurynews.com / for the article) I recommend caution with this plant in areas with similiar mediterranean climates.

Santa Barbara, California