Manambe Palm
Dypsis decipiens

Family: Arecaceae (ar-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Dypsis (DIP-sis) (Info)
Species: decipiens (de-SIP-ee-enz) (Info)
Synonym:Chrysalidocarpus decipiens

Palms

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium

Tucson, Arizona

Chowchilla, California

Costa Mesa, California

Encinitas, California

Huntington Beach, California

Mission Viejo, California

Oceanside, California (2 reports)

Reseda, California

Ainaloa, Hawaii

Youngsville, Louisiana

North, South Carolina

On Nov 2, 2012, Mendopalmfarm from Willits, CA wrote:

So far so good I have three dypsis decipiens I planted from 24" box. One has multitrunk other two are singles the do appear to grow faster. Their planted in really rocky soil in full blazing sun. I hope they take the winter we will no doubtably get some frosts and even snows. But temps will stay around 25+. I will probably offer some protection such as plastic sheeting to keep them little happier. I'll post again after winter

On Oct 2, 2012, Code3 from Huntington Beach, CA wrote:

I have a few of these Dypsis Decipiens in my garden. I have a few small one and five gallons. A variety I have are nick named " Super Decipiens" cause they grow more straight up, faster and have a redish spear before it turns into a frond. Looks like the Super Decipiens are faster growers than the regular ones. I have a "Sullivan" Decipiens and a Super Decipiens for comparison. The super variety grows twice as fast compared to the Sullivan variety. Both takes full sun at an early age and loves good drainage soil along with regular feeding.

On Jul 28, 2011, rgarden_cmca from Costa Mesa, CA wrote:

Decipiens is growing well in our yard. Starting slow, but now well-established in deep sandy soil, moderate watering, south facing exposure with all-day sun. Two trunks with no additional suckers appearing. First inflorescence appeared last year, but broke off (gasp!). About 6 feet of clean trunk and another 3 feet of crownshaft on the taller stem. If I had to give up everything but one palm in the front yard landscape, this would be the one I'd keep.

On Dec 16, 2009, krishnaraoji88 from Ocala, FL wrote:

A difficult plant no doubt in Florida but if you can find a spot the seedlings are happy in then it will grow (albeit slow). I have mine planted in a hole I filled with rocks (river and granite) next to my pond (liner)so the ground stays cooler and it has access to water, just not right around the base. The planting in rocks seems to be the trick as the ones I didn't do this with all rotted. Has not been bothered by 9a freezes although it is near the water so that may help.

On Nov 4, 2009, timrann from Other
Mauritius wrote:

Indeed it's a magnificent palm, like H.lagenicaulis but more stronger. The bottle form is not so obvious when more than 2 trunks together. Once could be found all over , but now it is rather found in southern parts of Madagascar.Only a few could be seen in Antananarivo in private gardens.Otherwise you can see some more impressive specimen in private gardens also from Ansirabe rather south after more than 4 hours of taxi -brousse (Bush-taxi). The seeds are as the same size of H.lagenicaulis and ressemble also greyish colour when cleaned.

On Jul 26, 2003, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This tree, though too slow growing for most, is one of the most spectacular palms you can grow in Southern California. It is touchy as a seedling, but once established, grows steadily and forms a trunk within about 10 years. It has nice long slightly recurved leaves with smooth, deep green leaflets arranged either in paralell or in clumps at various angles (later these varieties may be end up being different species, but that will be a longs way off). The new spike (turns into a leaf) has a very attractive red coloratioin. The trunk is massive and tends to swell in the middle once quite large. It is usually a suckering palm, having 2-3 trunks. However, if trimmed to one trunk, it grows significantly faster. This is a prized palm for So Cal growers. IT has a good degree of cold hard... read more