PlantFiles: Hybrid Tea Rose
Rosa 'Barbra Streisand'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Barbra Streisand
Additional cultivar information: (PP13120, WEKquaneze)
Hybridized by Carruth; Year of Registration or Introduction: 2001

Class:
Hybrid Tea

Mauve and mauve blend (mb)

Bloom Shape:
Double

Flower Fragrance:
Very Fragrant

Habit:
Can be trained as a standard or tree form

Patented

Other Details:
Susceptible to black spot
Susceptible to mildew
Stems are nearly thornless

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Thumbnail #6 of Rosa  by 33libra

By chicochi3
Thumbnail #7 of Rosa  by chicochi3

Negative tgwWhale On Oct 17, 2012, tgwWhale from Casco, WI wrote:

I have had a Barbra Streisand for two years. I got it because I like purple roses but have had trouble finding varieties that could grow in my cold NE Wisconsin (Zone 5) climate. Edmund's Roses recommended it, so I tried it. BAD mistake!

The rose does not get through the winter well, even when boxed and buried in ground. When it finally gets growing, it does not have many blooms. Many of the blooms ball up and do not open, or are deformed. And in my northern climate, the stems tend to be too short for cutflowers.

I think I got one cutflower off of this bush in two whole years. In my garden it is a waste of space. It's time for me to cull. Next year I will try another cultivar in that space.

Neutral rabbitsdiner On May 23, 2010, rabbitsdiner from Carmel, IN wrote:

Babs is a real prima donna for me. She has stayed tiny after five years or so. She offers up about one bloom at a time.However those blooms are so fragrant and have such a lovely and relatively rare lavender color; that she has been spared from "spade pruning". Her flowers are just beautiful in a vase in combination with peach and pink roses .

Positive JeffJonesMD On May 12, 2010, JeffJonesMD from San Francisco, CA wrote:

Rosa 'Barbra Streisand' grows beautifully for me. It's foliage is dark and quite striking on a compact shapely plant. In our area roses are especially prone to powdery mildew and rust but Rosa 'Barbra Streisand' has much less than the others...even those supposedly resistant to these problems. The scent of this rose is the real showstopper. You can smell it throughout an entire quadrant of my garden when in bloom and even when cut and brought indoors it holds its scent for days. The scent is not overly sweet; it is a bit spicy but very intense. I have tried propogating it from softwood cuttings but have not succeeded yet. Has anyone else done so? Very worth obtaining if you are in the Bay Area.

Negative chicochi3 On Jun 12, 2008, chicochi3 from Fayetteville, AR (Zone 6b) wrote:

I have a lot of roses, and this one is by far the worst one to have blackspot. Yes, it blooms a lot, but I'm not sure that's a good enough exchange to make it worth the trouble of trying to deal with the blackspot.

Negative Gindee77 On May 16, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is a pretty rose with a great fragrance, but I took out 3 of them because of the horrible black spot they get in my zone 5 garden.

Negative moyesii On May 7, 2005, moyesii from Long Island, NY (Zone 6b) wrote:

Prone to blackspot.

Positive Martymar2577 On Apr 18, 2005, Martymar2577 from Houston, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

This rose has been wonderful with it's production of flowers. It has lots of buds on it & has been blooming consistently for about 6 weeks now. Wonderful fragrance!

Fayetteville, Arkansas