PlantFiles: Crocosmia
Crocosmia 'Lucifer'

Family: Iridaceae (eye-rid-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Crocosmia (kroh-KOZ-mee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Lucifer
Additional cultivar information: (C. masoniorum x C. paniculata)
Hybridized by A. Bloom; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1966

Thumbnail #6 of Crocosmia  by DottieJean

By Zanymuse
Thumbnail #7 of Crocosmia  by Zanymuse

Positive coriaceous On Sep 15, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This is the hardiest of the hybrid crocosmias. It is usually rated to Z5, a full zone hardier than any other.

I haven't found this to be invasive or very aggressive here in Boston Z6a.

It does not like the treatment sellers of fall bulbs put it through, and dried corms rarely bloom the first season after planting. I find that after a few years the corms have formed stacks, which shouldn't be broken up into individual corms when dividing---single corms won't bloom the first year.

Positive dawngri On Sep 14, 2014, dawngri from Niantic, CT wrote:

I started with a few bulbs and after 2 years have so many I am moving clumps to many other areas of the flower beds. My question is....is there 2 different species, I can only find the one I have. It is 2 feet high, and very beautiful.....but I have seen the Lucifer at 4 ft tall with much larger blooms.
Does any one know the name of the bigger taller species? I would like to remove and replace with the larger one as my hummers love the Lucifer.
Located in. Niantic, Ct.

Positive ArtsyAgnes On Sep 13, 2014, ArtsyAgnes from Fairport, NY wrote:

Everyone comments on my Crocosmia (I have two varieties). They are a show stopper and never fail of produce a fantastic display of flowers! I have had success transplanting in summer (just remember to do late afternoon/early evening - after hot part of the day); and water a bit every day for at least a week. Don't over water. To sow seeds - zone 6a: In spring, roll seeds on sand paper, layout between wet paper towels for an hour and broadcast seed when temps reach a consistent day high of 50 degrees.
Love - Love - Love Crocosmia!

Neutral clicre1 On Aug 15, 2014, clicre1 from Spruce Pine, NC wrote:

I'm a new gardener. My friend gave me some green seed pods. I read here they seeds should dry on the plant before harvesting. It was nice of her, so I'd like to give them a shot if it's realistic that they might grown. What are your thoughts about their chances? Advice?

Negative irishmist On Jul 25, 2014, irishmist from Rochester, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

I just posted 'Lucifer' questions on Bulbs Forum. Have lost this plant twice and have trouble getting purchased bulbs to grow. I'm a very experienced gardener but seem to can't get this right. Hope someone can help, especially with growing from corms as the plans are pricey for my budget. Should corms be pre-soaked, etc.?

Positive lancer23 On Jun 26, 2014, lancer23 from San Francisco, CA wrote:

Blood red flowers a hummingbirds treat. Invasive plant here and needs to be pull out every yr to keep in check. Gave away to many friends and they all love it! Easy no care in CA.

Neutral ptlove1 On May 24, 2014, ptlove1 from Avon, CT wrote:

I planted several of these plants in the late summer last year. I LOVE them, but none have come up again this spring. I am so upset! I am in Connecticut and we did have a very cold winter and it has not gotten very warm yet (mid 60's) When should I expect to see signs of life?...or have they definitely not made it? I would appreciate any input!

Positive mkrailfan On Jan 25, 2014, mkrailfan from Aurora, CO wrote:

grows in Denver zone 4b-5a, full sun clay loam soil
hot location, but we'll irrigated. After two years it has not
not reseeded.

Positive TSTruax24 On Jun 28, 2013, TSTruax24 from Catonsville, MD wrote:

I bought this plant as a default for not finding Blackberry Lily vendors near my area. I have a 30ft long walkway garden and among the 50plus types of flower I have planted in the bed I have Crocosmia. In hopes of attracting hummingbirds I planted them but the bumble bees seem to enjoy them most, along with the little glistening sweat bees. When the Crocosmia bloom they look very interesting compared to most flowers that grow in my area with their stalks of bright red flowers. Theyre not as invasive as most people complain. They multiply with baby leaf stalks at the bottom of the larger leaf stalks from seeds that dropped from autumn which then the seeds turn to Corms. Mine do best in about 10 hours of sunlight during the day with moist but well drained soil. I have another Crocosmia on the full sun side of my garden but it doesnt do as well and barley blooms. Id suggest planting them in an area that you have plenty of room for and that will complement 4ft tall leaf stalks that grow up rather than out. The only negative that I can think of is that the blooms only last about a months worth in summer from late June through early July in Zone 7 but I wished they bloomed for a longer period of time. Buy Corms not seeds for quicker bloom results.

Negative goldhillal On May 18, 2013, goldhillal from (Crystal) Waverly, AL wrote:

This plant is terribly invasive. It is all but impossible to get rid of and multiplies like crazy. I threw a pile in the grass and left them last year and this year they are happily growing there. BUT, they never bloom. Maybe too much shade. But that has not slowed their multiplication.

Positive woof99 On Sep 17, 2012, woof99 from Montreal

Since I live in a cold area, the 1st year I brought the bulbs in for the winter and planted them the following spring but never got any flowers. So, 2nd winter I decided to leave them out there and this year they came up and are gorgeous! I read all the comments about being invasive, I guess that is one of the benefits of the freezing winters, many plants we love die off but very few plants are invasive up here!

Positive Bazuhi On Sep 5, 2012, Bazuhi from Downers Grove, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have seen these the last couple of years at the Home Depot and finally this year I purchased this plant which is grown by Hampshire Farms and is tagged Montbretia "Lucifer" along with another one tagged "George Davidson" doing any research on the plants. The plant bloomed breifly after planting but has not rebloomed where the "George Davidson" is blooming like crazy and it is September 5th, the problem is I have been finding it listed as a zone 6 plant and occasionally as a zone 5 plant with winter protection. Some treat it as an annual, others treat it as Canna and lift it, and starting it from seed takes 3 years till bloom. I wish I had known that as I would have not have bothered with the plant. As it stands now I will leave it in the ground and come this winter cover it with a dome and see how it fairs next spring. I do love the flowers on the plant so I gave it a positive and at least come spring with Home Depots 1yr guarantee on plants I will always get my money back.

Positive yelsnila On Jul 21, 2012, yelsnila from Wolcott, VT wrote:

I've had a crocosmia Lucifer for several years and it's become one of my favorite plants. I was worried it wouldn't survive for too long with the zone 4a (close to 3b) winters here in north-central Vermont, but it's thriving. My one clump, in un-amended formerly woodland soil, gets mid-day sun, is gradually spreading but not invasive at all, has never needed staking, and always blooms reliably and spectacularly.

Positive Domehomedee On May 23, 2012, Domehomedee from Arroyo Grande, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I've grown Crocosmia for many years and never had it become invasive. I do grow the lucifer in a pot, but I only get seedlings if I harvest the seed and germinate it myself. I guess maybe I don't keep my garden wet enough for it to become a problem. They do spread from underground rhysomes but tend to keep close to home. Worth trying, I guess you either love 'um or hate 'um.

Positive SallieKr On May 8, 2012, SallieKr from Cherry Valley, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

The first year I planted 2 of these, but they didn't make it through the winter. The hummingbirds loved them so much that I bought 4 more the next year anyhow and planned on mulching them... but I didn't. They've been coming back for about 4 years now and most of the time, all have lots of blooms. I do have to stake the flower stalks to keep them up in the air so that the hummers can find them. This year I bought some "grow through" rings to see if they'll work.

Neutral Gabrielle On Feb 27, 2012, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

Not quite as vigorous blooming as I'd like; maybe it's the climate. Blooms July - September in my garden.

Negative degger On Jan 28, 2012, degger from Huntington Beach, CA wrote:

One of the most invasive plants I have ever had and even worse, near impossible to fully remove.

Positive kforce1 On Sep 26, 2011, kforce1 from Englewood, FL wrote:

We live on the central Oregon coast. It grows everywhere! Every 3 years I dig up the corms, give most of them away and then replant 6-8 in the bed I want them to be in. The hummingbirds love them and they bring a beautiful color to my garden in the summer. Plant in full sun. In hotter climates plant in dappled sunlight to shade. They do not require much tending but will spread rapidly in the cooler climates. Because of their height they do need support if the corms are not planted deep enough in the ground. They're perfect for ditches and other spaces you want color and want something to grow prolifically.

Positive oscarkat01 On Jul 17, 2011, oscarkat01 from Rochester, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

This plant does well in the Rochester, NY area, zone 6a. I have quite a few that are in sun to part shade. They do flop a bit in part shade but not too bad for me. I have had a couple that didn't make it over winter depending on the exposure. Hummingbirds cannot get enough of it!

Neutral MaxBeau On Mar 27, 2011, MaxBeau from Dallas, TX wrote:

Planted the bulbs in pots 3 weeks ago...no sign of life. Any suggestions?

Positive kimberlihiggins On Feb 20, 2011, kimberlihiggins from Little Rock, AR wrote:

There is a large bed of this along a busy road on my journey home each day. This is how I came to love this beautiful specimen. It is the one thing that makes those watering sessions in 110 weather bearable. Maybe that's how it got the name "Lucifer". It blooms when it's HOT! The hummingbirds love it and so do I. Also I see that some have problems with it being invasive, not so here.

Positive youbean On Jul 27, 2010, youbean from Pittsford, NY wrote:

I love this plant. We live in zone 5 and it thrives. However, this summer it did flop which has never happened before. How does one avoid flopping.? Perhaps there are too many in the bed. It looks absolutely terrific in the grasses on our pond.

Positive keithbrown On Jul 12, 2010, keithbrown from Denville, NJ wrote:

I love this plant. I have grown it in northern NJ for about 15 years. I won't call it invasive - it spreads nicely and it is easy to divide if you want to thin it. It does not require division for blooming. It's very easy to dig up the bulbs in sprig or fall and replant them - I've even dug up live plants in June and moved them successfully.
My only complaint is that mine require staking or they flop over other plants. Is it because I've planted the bulbs too shallow? The original plant that I bought stood up sturdily in the pot with no need for staking, but maybe, as they spread, the bulbs are too shallow - I don't know.
If anyone knows why this plant flops, please email me: keith726@gmail.com.
Butterflies, hummingbirds and humans love this plant (unfortunately, the deer like the flowers, not the leaves). It's a spectacular mid-summer bloomer.

Positive mothermole On Feb 20, 2010, mothermole from Deer Park, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

I always amend my soil but I don't tend to baby plants too much otherwise-I just won't grow it if it is too fragile. This plant is in my yard and doing great. I decided to move and divide the plant to a different location and dug the plant up. I ended up getting distracted and placed it in the shade. I didn't replant that plant for a month but watered it daily. Eventually I planted it but in this case didn't amend the soil because it was so cold (winter was coming) and shoved way too many bulbs in one space but they re-appeared the following year happily blooming their heads off. This year I will divide them again and spread them out so more . . . BTW: No staking needed here.

Positive stormyla On Nov 25, 2009, stormyla from Norristown, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

This is one bloom that I anxiously await every year. They have a regal splendor. I've grown them here for 5 years in a very dry hot sunny bed. The voles don't seem to bother them.

Positive quebec On Sep 13, 2009, quebec from Montreal

I've had this plant for 2 years. It survived 2 regular winters here with no problems. We cover our gardens with leaves, so I believe that's the reason for its survival here: we are North of Montreal, so it would be a zone 4.
I plan on dividing it next Spring, and I collected some of the seeds for sowing in pots.
Reading some comments about not watering excessively made me laugh. We've had the rainiest Summer in history. I couldn't even take care of my plants until the middle of August. This didn't prevent the crocosmia from blooming gloriously, nor the visiting hummingbird from enjoying the garden. When not in bloom, the spear-like leaves make a nice contrast.

Positive babydoe On Aug 12, 2009, babydoe from Aspen, CO wrote:

OK, boys and girls, I live in Aspen, Colorado (8,000 feet above sea level, usda zone 4)! Love this plant! I've planted it in 4 different gardens (I'm a maintenance gardener by trade) and had it winter over in 3 of them - even had it bloom every year. My clients love it, but I have a hard time getting it on a regular basis. Has anyone tried dividing this plant? If so, is it better to so in fall or spring. Seeding sounds great, but I deal in instant gratification!

Positive Highmtn On Jul 31, 2009, Highmtn from Cliff Dweller, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

For me...this has been a gem of an addition to my yard. It's 4 years old and has performed well. It's not been pushy or invasive. It can get a little top heavy if we get too much rain,but... I do live in the PNW.

I love the stuff!

Positive BikeIntensity On Jul 13, 2009, BikeIntensity from Vancouver, WA wrote:

With red being my favorite color, Lucifer has proven to be one of my favorites. The color is vibrant and you see this plant as soon as you turn down my street. Everyone comments on it's beauty. I've noticed many of the post refer to having to support it but I've never had a problem with mine. Stunning plant!

Neutral CaptMicha On Jul 5, 2009, CaptMicha from Brookeville, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

I had these and they flowered beautifully but one year, they just stopped coming back. Be careful if you're in zone 7a or lower. They may be worth lifting and storing for the winter.

Positive SunnyBorders On Mar 18, 2009, SunnyBorders from Aurora, ON (Zone 5a) wrote:

Have had this plant growing in four perennial beds, longest for about five years. Have upgraded clay soil (alkaline) in zone 5A. Never seen any evidence of seeding and only spreads slowly from year to year. Does well in full sun and in semishade. Usually does not need staking. Eye catching plant.

Negative slcochran On Mar 16, 2009, slcochran from Akron, OH wrote:

Grew this plant in a good gardening bed. It bloomed beautifully for the first two years, then became smothered with its own seedlings. It took me two years to dig it out. I've grown other Crocosmia w/ better success. May try it in a pot next time.

Neutral lakeshoredrive On Jan 4, 2009, lakeshoredrive from Chicago, IL wrote:

I've had it in the ground in Chicago now for two years and no blooms yet. I added compost this fall hopefully next summer it will finally bloom.

Positive AnalogDog On Aug 27, 2008, AnalogDog from Mountlake Terrace, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Wow. This is a great plant in my garden. I can understand people saying it may be invasive, it sure is a strong grower. I keep it in check by clipping off the seed pods before they disperse. The first year I did not, and doubled the amount I had.

Neutral bigfootdave On Aug 20, 2008, bigfootdave from Knoxville, TN wrote:

New user here - please forgive me if I have posted this query in the wrong place. I've grown and enjoyed this plant for years in full sun with ample moisture. However, this year my clump (approximately 16" in diameter) failed to produce a single flowerstalk. Is division necessary for continued bloom or is something else missing?

Positive mrickett On May 18, 2008, mrickett from Lawrenceville, GA wrote:

I really love this plant! The leaves add a nice vertical texture to my garden. The flowers are graceful with a tropical flair. I do notice the ones planted in moist soil seem to thrive better. I had some planted in a drier area of my garden and they have not done as well. So far they are multiplying but not invasive. I do have to give them support which isn't a bad thing since it is because they fall over from the weight of all the flowers!

Positive MissFabulous On May 13, 2008, MissFabulous from Dunkirk, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

While this is one of few survivors of my "Darwin Garden" (aka the perennial bed my mother set up decades ago and has been neglected due to health problems for about 5 years or more) it doesn't show up in any beds other than where it was originally planted, and the new plants are very near the old one. Seems to me it's only invasive in very warm climates and perhaps the seeds aren't viable in northern zones. I'm on the cusp of 5-6 (and probably patches of 4) and the plant will perform through neglect, but hasn't left its original territory in presumably 10 years, perhaps more.

Positive dancingbear27 On Apr 23, 2008, dancingbear27 from Elba, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have grown this plant for years and never had to stake it or replant it. It has not become invasive. My hummingbirds love it. It is a gorgeous vibrant shade of red that attracts more than the hummingbirds. I have to say that it is the plant in the garden that almost everyone who sees it in bloom asks me what it is and where I got it from.

Positive joan30157 On Mar 6, 2008, joan30157 from Dallas, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Great plant. They do multiply rapidly but I have never found them to be invasive. We have heavy clay and have been in a drought for awhile, so maybe this keeps them in check. Their blooms last a long time and overall this is a carefree easy plant.

Positive Joy On Aug 16, 2007, Joy from Kalama, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have been growing these for years both in the ground and in containers. In containers, they will quickly outgrow their space so you have to divide them and pot on about every other year and they'll require frequent waterings. And in containers they tend to have a shorter bloom period then the in ground plants do. But the plus to growing them in containers is they don't flop over the way they will in the ground.
I've had some self seeding but not to the point of being a nuisance.
They are very showy and attract hummingbirds so I wouldn't want to be without them.

Positive JeanneTX On Jul 19, 2007, JeanneTX from Willis, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I planted these in '2006 and didn't see a bloom..was shocked and had forgotten where I planted them..they bloomed 07/19/2007...what a shock..I love them

Neutral bluespiral On Jan 6, 2007, bluespiral from (Zone 7a) wrote:

A little more detail on propagation by seed. Baggy, 70*F, 40%Germination in 11-20 days

Further south, where this plant is known to self-sow over the winter, seed of this plant would probably be a good candidate for wintersowing (See Winter Sowing Forum on DG).

Positive Mr_Crocosmia On Sep 7, 2006, Mr_Crocosmia from Caistor
United Kingdom (Zone 8b) wrote:

Masoniorum x Paniculata
1969, Bloom. Rich Red, robust hybrid, flowers at more than 1.2m. It comes true from seed and can self-seed. Bressingham Hybrid by Alan Bloom, first bred in 1966. RHS Certificate of Preliminary Commendation, 1977. Award of Garden Merit, 1993.
Also there is Late Lucifer......... this plant flowers much later than Lucifer!!

Neutral dldbrou On Aug 9, 2006, dldbrou from Scott, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant has both good and bad points. The good is it is strikely beautiful, the bees and hummingbirds love it, the flowers last for weeks planted in bed. It reproduces without any trouble. You do not need to divide it to keep it producing. It reseeds itself. The bulbs are easy to pull out the ground to transplant if you enjoy giving them away. We went through a drought this year and the flowers did not suffer. They were one of the few plants that survived. The bad is it falls over easily and needs support.

Negative Shadyfolks On Jul 22, 2006, Shadyfolks from Chesterland, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

We have grown this plant for 3 years now. On the positive side it flowers profusely. On the negative side the plant will not stand on it's own and needs to held up. I will post a picture in PF and you will see what I mean. It looses it's gracefulness.

Negative fickledave On Jul 16, 2006, fickledave from Arcata, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

We live in No. California within 2 miles of the ocean. This plant has been introduced here and spreads very rapidly by both corm repro and by flying seed. It is extremely invasive and almost impossible to control.

Positive cal_lincoln On Oct 20, 2005, cal_lincoln from Lincoln, MA wrote:

I am always looking for plants that attract hummingbirds, and this plant was so labeled. This was not false advertising! I got a lot of hummingbirds and also beautiful flowers for people to enjoy, too. Because each stems has so many blossoms on it and because of the way they are arranged, the hummingbirds are wonderfully easy to watch. I couldn't decide whether to leave them in the ground over the winter or dig them up (I live in eastern Massachusetts, but not on the coast). Too late for this year, I read the comment from the gardener in West Kill, New York, who has left them in the ground successfully in a colder clime than mine.

Positive CatskillKarma On Jan 15, 2005, CatskillKarma from West Kill, NY wrote:

I wasn't sure these would overwinter in my garden on the cusp between zones 4 and 5. I have soggy clay soil. I started with half a dozen bulbs about five years ago, and they have thrived and multiplied everywhere. My husband says they look like fireworks. They bloom for weeks in my late-summer garden. The only drawback is that they are floppy and need to be roped in to look their best.

Negative Kelli On Oct 12, 2004, Kelli from L.A. (Canoga Park), CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

I don't know what the problem is, but I can't get these to live from year to year.

Positive jaxpatart On Apr 4, 2004, jaxpatart from Jacksonville, FL wrote:

This "dashing" plant has reseeded since last season and will add a dozen or more new bright spots to a shady area of my garden.

Positive PurplePansies On Nov 1, 2003, PurplePansies from Deal, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

I love this plant. The leaves are pretty and iris-like. The whole plant's flower spike hangs over gracefully, bouncing over other flowers. The flowers of 'Lucifer' are a brilliant red.

Seems tolerant of a range of conditions and easy to grow; not prone to any diseases or pests that I can see. I grow mine in sun/part sun in good, acidic soil (and it does well.) A very tropical-looking plant for hardy areas, and one of my favorite plants!

Neutral IndigoGardens On Aug 1, 2003, IndigoGardens wrote:

We grow them as a cutflower, only they will last for three or four days. Its better to wait for the berries, they will last for 10 days.

Anniston, Alabama
Huntington Beach, California
Long Beach, California
Los Gatos, California
Sacramento, California
San Francisco, California (2 reports)
Denver, Colorado
Winterville, Georgia
Kaunakakai, Hawaii
Barrington, Illinois
Cherry Valley, Illinois
Chicago, Illinois (2 reports)
Divernon, Illinois
Norfolk, Massachusetts
Roslindale, Massachusetts
Charlevoix, Michigan
Dearborn Heights, Michigan
Grand Rapids, Michigan (3 reports)
Hersey, Michigan
Lumberton, New Jersey
Roswell, New Mexico
Croton On Hudson, New York
Elba, New York
Fairport, New York (2 reports)
Ithaca, New York
Bend, Oregon (2 reports)
Dallas, Oregon
Hood River, Oregon
Irrigon, Oregon
Portland, Oregon (2 reports)
Salem, Oregon (2 reports)
Springfield, Oregon
Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania
Norristown, Pennsylvania
Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania
Tiverton, Rhode Island
Columbia, South Carolina
Summerville, South Carolina (2 reports)
Sumter, South Carolina
Clarksville, Tennessee
Hixson, Tennessee
Knoxville, Tennessee (2 reports)
Nashville, Tennessee
Woodbridge, Virginia
Ahtanum, Washington
Ames Lake, Washington
Battle Ground, Washington
Bremerton, Washington (2 reports)
Eastsound, Washington
North Sultan, Washington
Orchards, Washington
Port Angeles, Washington
Puyallup, Washington
Seattle, Washington (3 reports)
Spokane, Washington
Stanwood, Washington
Tacoma, Washington
Vancouver, Washington (2 reports)
White Center, Washington