PlantFiles: Water Primrose, Floating Primrose Willow, Yellow Water-weed, Clove-Strip
Ludwigia peploides

Family: Onagraceae (on-uh-GRAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ludwigia (lud-WIG-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: peploides (pep-LOY-deez) (Info)

Synonym:Jussiaea peploides
Synonym:Ludwigia peploides subsp. peploides

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Ponds and Aquatics

Bronze-Green

Very high moisture needs; suitable for bogs and water gardens

By dirtyhands2

Thumbnail #5 of Ludwigia peploides by Jeff_Beck

Thumbnail #6 of Ludwigia peploides by Jeff_Beck

Thumbnail #7 of Ludwigia peploides by kennedyh

Positive Leesto On Aug 20, 2013, Leesto from Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

I planted this approximately 12 inches deep in my pond in a one-gallon container. I am in Southern California and the plant gets full sun all day long. Within 30 days it had extended more than 5 feet in all directions and continued to grow. Since then it has spread to about 20 feet in diameter - creeping along the surface and getting nutrients from roots which grow in the water. I now trim it about every 30 days, which forces it to branch and become fuller. If I did not trim it back I believe it would take over the entire pond.

The plant has nice yellow flowers which are self-cleaning. It is never covered with flowers - they are spaced around a foot apart. Overall it has a very healthy and robust look. People who see it always comment how healthy it looks.

I have found it easy to propagate. Since the branches naturally grow roots into the water, I just snip off 6 to 12 inch sections and plant them in garden soil in pots which I place in a tray of water. I give them some shade for a few days then move them into the sun. In a week or two the new plants are already growing rapidly and can be pinched back to encourage branching. I often give them to friends, so I may give the young plants a dose of liquid bloom formula to encourage flowering before I present them.

Barling, Arkansas