PlantFiles: Passion Flower, Passionflower, Passion Vine, Passionvine
Passiflora 'Lady Margaret'

Family: Passifloraceae (pas-ih-flor-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Passiflora (pass-iff-FLOR-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Lady Margaret

By Clare_CA
Thumbnail #6 of Passiflora  by Clare_CA

By rylaff
Thumbnail #7 of Passiflora  by rylaff

Neutral greenherbtpa On Oct 21, 2012, greenherbtpa from Greater Northdale, FL wrote:

I am new to this site. I live in Tampa FL (Carrollwood\Northdale area) and have a couple of these I planted this year. I have 2 questions. What does average watering mean? i.e. 2 days, a week ...? Also I got a whole lot of frittilary butterflies from this plant which is good since I have been raising monarchs for a year and now raising frittilarys. The caterpillars just decimates this plant. Will this plant come back like the milkweed does? Thank you

Positive TPA_bloomer On Apr 20, 2012, TPA_bloomer from Cheval, FL wrote:

I planted one of these in a backyard garden last spring, and it twined up a trellis, and into a Live Oak tree (via some hanging Spanish Moss that it grabbed onto). Unfortunately, it didn't get alot of sun, so after an initial blooming period, I saw only sporadic and small blooms. No butterflies or caterpillars were attracted to this plant (that's my only negative). It grew an underground shoot and started a new plant about 5 feet away from "mom." I dug that one up (in mid-December!) and potted it, and when I moved in January, I put it in the ground. It gets morning sun now and has started to grow.

I do have a couple of questions - it's very leggy - long tendrils that just keep on going... can I cut/clip it somewhere to make it more bushy? Also - one flower blooms per day. Is that usual?

Positive stephanmilot On Jul 22, 2011, stephanmilot from Saint Pete Beach, FL wrote:

I am new to growing Passiflora. Bought them mainly as a natural and beautful privacy fence for my unsavory neighbor. I have two Lady Margaret and two P. Caerulea (bluish looking also known as Maypop I think). I have cross pollinated the Lady Margaret with the Caerulea and was successful at making seeds. They are now about 6" tall.

My questions are:
Does it flower?
What do the flowers look like? (As I am very immpatient and need to see.)
what's is the new plant called?

Positive Atash On Apr 1, 2011, Atash from Seattle, WA wrote:

I might be able to solve some mysteries about this plant.

I haven't gotten fruit either but that's not surprising because Passionflowers are usually self-incompatible as regards pollination. You need a plant that is not the same clone, but compatible.

The fruit if you do get it is not guaranteed to be good because one of the parents has fruit that is dry and doesn't have much pulp. But I have not seen it so I don't know. It probably would not take many more crosses to improve the fruit if it's not yet eating quality.

As for fragrance, I neither noticed any nor looked for any, but one of the parents, P. caerulea, is indeed quite fragrant, but only certain times of day. Try late afternoon. If you do catch any fragrance, it probably smells like sweet peas or ripe Feijoa.

As for caterpillars, I'm too far north to have a problem with them, but Passionflowers are notorious hosts for caterpillars. The good news is that those caterpillars tend to be the larvae of particularly pretty butterflies. Lepidotists often grow Passionflowers for precisely this reason. So, enjoy your butterflies.

The flowers are on the small side but quite pretty, with burgundy tepals and smallish pale contrasting rays. I've got pix I could post. It looks impossibly tropical for how hardy it is. The hardiness comes from the P. caerulea which is not only coldhardy but almost weedy, suckering like crazy.

My plant looks tired but did survive a fairly cold winter in Seattle.

Neutral d2436 On Dec 23, 2010, d2436 from Canyon Country, CA wrote:

I bought this plant because descriptions stated that the flowers had some fragrance. This seems to be untrue as there is no fragrance I can detect. It is true that it does not set fruit. The plants leaves get eaten up by caterpillars and if aphid looking pests don't get to the flowers the only thing you may enjoy is their vivid red and white. If you want to feed caterpillars that will become butterflies get this plant.

Neutral victorengel On May 10, 2010, victorengel from Austin, TX wrote:

So which cross is it? Two comments show two different sets of parents.

I have one that I thought was killed last winter, when it got down to 15 degrees here. The plant is potted, so it wasn't as protected as it would have been had it been in the ground.

It's coming up now. Woohoo!.

Positive stephanotis On Mar 12, 2008, stephanotis from Queen Creek, AZ (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant was very easy for me to root in plain water. I haven't tried air layering it. It was in bloom when I bought it last summer, and I potted it up in a 5 gallon container until I can put it in the ground. So far I have managed to keep it green and alive through the winter, and it has put out alot of new growth since the weather has begun warming up. Right now it is in full sun, western exposure, until the weather heats up more and the sun gets more intense, then I will move it back to a less harsh spot. No sign of buds yet, but maybe it is too early yet to expect them? The last passion vine I had I killed by overwatering, so I have been very careful this time to not make that same mistake. If and when it blooms I will post photos.

Neutral zemerson On Nov 22, 2005, zemerson from Calvert County, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

Timothy Skimma's hybrid of Passiflora coccinea and Passiflora incarnata.

Positive Flicker On Nov 14, 2003, Flicker from Covington, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Passiflora Lady Margaret is a hybrid of P. vitifolia and P. caerulea. It will sometimes set fruit but these are not viable. None have ripened for me. This is a lovely vine that will over winter in z8b with a good mulch. It returns from the original root when the temps are in the 80s. LM will send out a few root suckers which make excellant new plants. The best way to root it is layering in the early-mid summer. It takes about 6 wks. It is difficult to root.
The second year it flowers much better than the first, Oct. being the best month.

Queen Creek, Arizona
Fernandina Beach, Florida
Gainesville, Florida
Haverhill, Florida
Indian River Shores, Florida
Jacksonville, Florida (2 reports)
Longwood, Florida
Beaver Springs, Pennsylvania
Irwin, Pennsylvania
Westmoreland, Tennessee
Anderson, Texas
Austin, Texas (3 reports)
Baytown, Texas