PlantFiles: Crocosmia
Crocosmia x crocosmiiflora 'George Davison'

Family: Iridaceae (eye-rid-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Crocosmia (kroh-KOZ-mee-uh) (Info)
Species: x crocosmiiflora (kroh-koz-mee-eye-FLOR-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: George Davison
Additional cultivar information: (aka Rowden Chrome)
Hybridized by Davison; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1900

Thumbnail #6 of Crocosmia x crocosmiiflora by growin

By Calif_Sue
Thumbnail #7 of Crocosmia x crocosmiiflora by Calif_Sue

Positive Bazuhi On Sep 5, 2012, Bazuhi from Downers Grove, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have seen these the last couple of years at the Home Depot and finally this year I purchased this plant which is grown by Hampshire Farms and is tagged "George Davidson" along with the Montbretia "Lucifer" without doing any research on the plants. The plant is blooming like crazy and it is September 5th, the problem is I have been finding it listed as a zone 6 plant and occasionally as a zone 5 plant with winter protection. Some treat it as an annual, others treat it as Canna and lift it, and starting it from seed takes 3 years till bloom. I wish I had known that as I would have not have bothered with the plant. As it stands now I will leave it in the ground and come this winter cover it with a dome and see how it fairs next spring. I do love the flowers on the plant so I gave it a positive and at least come spring with Home Depots 1yr guarantee on plants I will always get my money back.

Neutral Sandwichkatexan On May 21, 2012, Sandwichkatexan from Copperas Cove, TX wrote:

I really want to grow these , But I am afraid that they may become an invasive monster . I am sure they are beautiful in large groupings . Does anyone have advice on this plant ? I am already dealing with lantana camara that I thought would be beautiful and ended up being a chore . I hear from many that in the south crocosmia become monsters that are nearly impossible to thin or get rid of . Please help with any suggestions.

Neutral vickyg52 On Aug 14, 2010, vickyg52 from Merrick, NY wrote:

just purchased "crocosmia davidson". Said to be dwarf variety 16". I love the color yellow-orange flowers! Awesome! I'll keep you posted to see how it does on Long Island, NY.

Positive Mr_Crocosmia On Jul 10, 2006, Mr_Crocosmia from Caistor
United Kingdom (Zone 8b) wrote:

Large Orange-Yellow flowers, 8 to 10 branched, tinted deeper Orange externally. It is amongst the first to flower. Strongly recommended. Vigorous grower. RHS Award of Merit, 1902. Also sometimes known as Golden Sheaf.
Grows to around 1m high.

Davesgarden has the spelling of the plant wrong......... as Berrygirl said it should be George Davison not Davidson.

Neutral smiln32 On Nov 30, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Plant corms in spring after last frost date approximately 3-4 deep and 6 apart. In colder zones, mulching is necessary to ensure they are protected from winter's harsh weather. In warmer climates, keep in a somewhat shady area for hot afternoon temps.

Flowers are large and the color is a rich deep yellow to medium apricot. They are also more upright than other Crocosmias.

Trinity, Alabama