Ice Plant, Crystalline Ice Plant
Mesembryanthemum crystallinum

Family: Aizoaceae (ay-zoh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Mesembryanthemum (mes-em-bry-ANTH-ee-mum) (Info)
Species: crystallinum (kris-TAL-in-um) (Info)
Synonym:Gasoul crystallinum

Groundcovers

Shiny/Glossy-Textured

Los Angeles, California

negative

On Aug 19, 2011, gnahcd from Santa Barbara, CA wrote:

This plant is invasive and not native to California. The pictures I took are from Anacapa Island in the Channel Islands, where the crystalline ice plant is displacing the endemic Coreopsis and Dudleya.

On Aug 17, 2009, DracoVolans from Crestline, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

{EDIT} Thanks to the poster above me! I had suspected they weren't native, but really had no idea. I won't be growing them, in any case, as they wouldn't survive where I am, now. Too bad it's an invasive--it's a lovely plant. I'm keeping away from invasives as much as I can, or keeping them in pots!{/EDIT}

I spotted these weird-looking and gorgeous plants growing wild in a San Diego beach Nature Conservancy area. I have no idea if they're native, but they cover the beach just above the sand line and glitter wonderfully in the sun.

If I ever go back, I'm planning on taking a few cuttings! :)

On Feb 3, 2005, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

A succulent plant with branched reclining stems covered with tiny glistening heads of white or reddish flowers in the uppeer leaf axils.

The name actually means "blooming at midday"

There are tiny beads along the stems that are swolen with water, and when crushed give the plant a moist feel. The species name refers to the crystalline look of these water cells.