Scotch Broom
Cytisus scoparius 'Moonlight'

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cytisus (SIT-is-us) (Info)
Species: scoparius (sko-PAIR-ee-us) (Info)
Cultivar: Moonlight

Urbanna, Virginia

Davenport, Washington

negative

On Sep 25, 2014, bchris113 from Bend, OR wrote:

I have a question. In King County, WA http://www.kingcounty.gov/environment/animalsAndPlants/noxio...
this plant is listed as an invasive species, a noxious weed. I live in a very different climate and I see it used as an ornamental shrub. Is there a black and white answer to this dilemma?

On Apr 28, 2012, redhighlander from Braintree, MA wrote:

Gentle, pale yellow flowers and a delicate fragrance. Heavenly!

On Feb 18, 2006, sterhill from Atlanta, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Atlanta GA area: I have three if them, now about 4' tall and NEVER have any seedlings pop up. They are beautiful in bloom and add a nice architectural quality to the garden the rest of the year. Planted in full sun - this is boiling Atlanta sun - and only watered when I think about it. A nice plant for this area and not invasive at all.

On May 9, 2005, caroliz from Smithtown, NY (Zone 7a) wrote:

I just purchased the cytisus scoparius in Long Island, NY. I have another scotch broom I am not sure exaclty which type, probably the same. Other people I know have grown them quite large, but they don't seem to be a problem for the natural vegetation. The first one I have doesn't even seem to be doing that well in a partially shady location.

On Apr 14, 2004, vickiross wrote:

"Cytisus praecox is not to be confused with cytisus scoparius which is a problem in the Pacific Northwest because of it's rampant growth."
I too, along with most of Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Northern California feel it is insane if not criminal to sell Scotch Broom in a nursery.
I have seen colored versions along our roadways and do find it pretty but wondered why anyone would cultivate the stuff as it is also highly allergenic.

On Mar 6, 2004, wnstarr from Puyallup, WA (Zone 5a) wrote:

Edgewood, Washington
I don't care what color it comes in or what you think is a fragrance. Never, never plant any Scotch Broom. The state of Washington list it as a noxious weed. Is a fire danger even here in wet Washington state. Shame on any nursery that would sell it to some unknowing customer.

On Mar 6, 2004, Todd_Boland from St. John's, NL (Zone 5b) wrote:

A lovely flowering shrub that is literally covered in fragrant flowers in during June (at least June in my area).

On Aug 2, 2003, starshine from Bend, OR (Zone 6a) wrote:

This bush has the most wonderful scent to it. It's a soft sweet scent that permeates the air when it is in bloom. The soft colour of cream and light yellow flowers is indicitive of the scent it provides. Overall, a wonderful plant and a welcome addition to our garden.