Flowering Crabapple
Malus 'Branzam'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Malus (MAY-lus) (Info)
Cultivar: Branzam
Additional cultivar information:(aka Brandywine)
Hybridized by Simpson

Traverse City, Michigan

Jefferson, New York

Summerfield, North Carolina

On Feb 4, 2007, ViburnumValley from Scott County, KY (Zone 5b) wrote:

Brandywine crabapple is a highly fragrant double pink flowered crabapple. It was selected by the late Bob Simpson of Vincennes IN (from a cross between Malus x purpurea 'Lemoinei' and M. 'Klehm's Improved') and has been patented by Lake County Nursery under the name 'Branzam'.

The abundant flowers remind one of miniature heirloom damask roses. If there is any deficiency to this tree, it is the larger fruit (to 1") that drops early.

On May 28, 2006, RDT from Crossville, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

I have Malus Scarlet Brandywine. I love it. The flowers are a deeper red. Although it is only 2 years old it is heavy with blooms.

On May 25, 2006, andycdn from Ottawa, ON (Zone 5a) wrote:

A specimen of this tree grows in the Dominion Arboretum, Ottawa, Canada. It blooms slightly later than the other flowering crabs in the collection, mid-May this year, and stands out for its large, luminous shell-pink flowers. It is a small tree (this one was planted in 1994) and a little awkwardly shaped, but a dazzling beauty in bloom. It took my breath away.

No hint of purple.

On Nov 21, 2005, escambiaguy from Atmore, AL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I bought one of these trees and planted it in my yard. I was a pretty tree when in bloom. And then one morning I woke and something had ate EVERY one of the leaves off of it. The fruit (which was not touched) looked like little balls dangling from a stick. I was so embarrassed by it that I went ahead and cut it down and planted something else.

On Oct 13, 2003, shine_n_star333 from Oak Forest, IL wrote:

these are purple! purple is uuuuggggllllyyyy

and they dont even change color in fall this tree is atrocious!