American Pokeweed, Inkberry, Pidgeonberry, Pokeberry
Phytolacca americana

Family: Phytolaccaceae
Genus: Phytolacca (fy-toh-LAK-uh) (Info)
Species: americana (a-mer-ih-KAY-na) (Info)
Synonym:Phytolacca decandra

Green

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

Ferment seeds before storing

Wear gloves to protect hands when handling seeds

Birmingham, Alabama

Westchester, Illinois

Gary, Indiana

Macy, Indiana

Valparaiso, Indiana

Cedar Rapids, Iowa (2 reports)

Ely, Iowa

Halifax, Massachusetts

Mashpee, Massachusetts

Belleville, Michigan

Dearborn Heights, Michigan

Detroit, Michigan (2 reports)

Livonia, Michigan

Hulbert, Oklahoma

Jay, Oklahoma

Stigler, Oklahoma

Clackamas, Oregon

Portland, Oregon (2 reports)

Delaware Water Gap, Pennsylvania

Cokercreek, Tennessee

Crossville, Tennessee

Knoxville, Tennessee

Lenoir City, Tennessee

Murfreesboro, Tennessee (2 reports)

Westmoreland, Tennessee

De Leon, Texas

Denton, Texas

Dike, Texas

Garland, Texas

Helotes, Texas

Lake Dallas, Texas

Mont Belvieu, Texas

San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)

Seguin, Texas

Spicewood, Texas

Victoria, Texas

Blacksburg, Virginia (2 reports)

Bluefield, Virginia

Evington, Virginia

Woodbridge, Virginia

Elkins, West Virginia

De Forest, Wisconsin

On Oct 27, 2014, Ted_B from Birmingham, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

With its deep violet stalks and drooping bunches of black fruit, P. americana is one of the more striking native North American perennials. Developing a good relationship with poke is a matter of knowing how to manage the plant.

Unwanted volunteer seedlings in a garden are easily identifiable and plucked. If you want to better control the stature and spread of the plant, simply transplant a seedling into a decent sized pot. A pot keeps the taproot in check, the plant grows to a manageable size, and still happily sets fruit.

Poke tolerates anything from shade to full sun. Plants in a sunnier position and fertile garden soil grow faster, taller, and set more fruit. Poke responds favorably to fertilizers. And while poke is tolerant of drought, a frequently-... read more

On Sep 22, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

A very persistent, aggressive, toxic perennial weed. Very fast growing, it will bloom and seed profusely in its first year. It forms a large, persistent, brittle tap root from which top growth will re-emerge quickly when cut down. The root is deep and thick, and can be difficult to dig out.

All parts of this plant are toxic. Deaths from ingestion were common in the 1800's, when this plant was more commonly consumed. Some people still eat the new spring leaves, but only after repeated long boilings and rinsings, and discarding the water.

The fruits are dangerously tempting to young children.

It is also a carrier for disease viruses which can become a problem for other distantly related garden plants (including tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, lilies... read more

On Sep 21, 2014, DaylilySLP from Dearborn Heights, MI (Zone 6a) wrote:

I used to have this growing in my yard. I would let only 2 or 3 grow to maturity.
The birds would strip the 'berries' off and have a feast until gone.
BUT...a few years ago, my husband was working in the bed where the Pokeweed is and had a bad allergic reaction.
Rash and hives. Had to go to Dr.!
So goodbye, Pokeweed.
Sandy

On Sep 21, 2014, Rickwebb from Downingtown, PA wrote:

I've treated this native plant as a weed for years. I am rethinking this because as the Illinois Native Plant Society pointed out, it is very good for beneficial wildlife. The fruit ripens at different times to be more available to birds. They can eat it, but humans cannot, as all parts are toxic to us. It forms a large taproot. It does make lots of seedlings around.

On Jul 23, 2013, Urbanvaquero from Detroit, MI wrote:

I'd never seen one before four years ago until I saw it growing in a lot I bought to make a bird and butterfly garden in. The birds really love this plant, and the plant really loves the birds. I can't remember where I read it, but when the seeds pass through a bird's digestive track, the seed loses something that causes the seed to become a plant that grows to crazy heights (I had one grow to ten feet two years ago -- purple mountainous majesty!). The seeds that don't pass through birds just produce short plants, it seems. Pokeweed ink was used to write the Declaration of Independence, I think I read that somewhere, so that's why I tell people I let it do its thing. It's a freedom plant, or something like that, perfect for freedom-lovers everywhere. And its magenta color is just l... read more

On Apr 8, 2013, nomismom from Independence, MO wrote:

I would like to know more about the companion properties of pokeweed. Currant bushes are very susceptible to powdery mildew & similar maladies. I planted black currants several years ago, and the only plants I have left are growing in the shade of pokeweed plants. (They appear quite healthy!) I really want these bushes to grow & produce, and I'm afraid they won't survive unless I allow the pokeweeds to grow with them. Does pokeweed exude some substance like walnut trees do? If so, could the pokeweed affect the taste or toxicity of the currant berries. Can anyone tell me why my remaining currants are doing so well in proximity to pokeweed?

On Mar 15, 2013, ransom3 from Zephyrhills, FL wrote:

This is one of the most delicious tasting vegetables I have ever eaten. Try it, but first learn how to prepare it properly. This plant is a native of North American. It was here long before the Pilgrims, so how people can say it is invasive is beyond me.Seems we are the invaders. lol.

On Aug 18, 2012, tamahaokie from Stigler, OK wrote:

Polk weed grows wild in my area of Oklahoma.We cook the leaves when they are young,very good. My husband liked them scrambled with eggs. Leaves should not be eaten after the plant blooms. But the berries may be used as a medicne when the berries are ripe,just never eat the seed,they are what is toxic.The berries are good for fighting flu and for body aches and rheumatism.I have canned polk and even pickled the young stalks like okra,it is really good.There are all kinds of recipes online for polk.Try them you will be surprised.

On Jul 16, 2012, jennyby from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Many plants are poisonous WHEN PREPARED INCORRECTLY. Pokeweed plant is a native to our beautiful land - that means it naturally occurs without human help. Roundup, however, does not naturally occur without human help. If you are concerned about this plant being poisonous, I suggest you reconsider the chemicals you suggest to kill it. They're far worse than the plant! Plain boiling water will work even quicker than vinegar for killing any unwanted plant or weed. I read it, and tried it, and it's fabulous. The weeds, root and all, will be ready to come out within the hour, without birth defects or carcinogens, AMAZING, isn't it?! I myself enjoy the free bird food, and the show they put on eating it.

On Sep 21, 2011, GardenQuilts from Pocono Mountains, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

This plant grows wild in wooded areas in the Poconos and throughout the Northeastern US. contact with it gives me a rash, so others with sensitive skin should use care. I pull it out of my garden beds every year - be forewarned, it forms a long tap root. There are plenty more pokeweed plants growing in the nearby wooded areas for the wildlife to enjoy.

I recently watched an episode of BBC Gardener's World with a garden tour of the American Ambassador's Residential Garden. One of the plants in the garden was Pokeweed! It looked beautiful in that garden, but those BBC Gardens always look incredible to me.

On Aug 27, 2011, luvprimitive from Evington, VA wrote:

I LOVE this plant(weed). Yes, they do reseed everywhere, but so do a bunch of other weeds and flowers. It's no worse then Sweet Annie or Russian Olive, both of which I tolerate for their fragrance. Pokeweed I love for their beauty. The older they get, the bigger and prettier they get. Those beautiful rasberry colored stems and purple berries, when the sun shines through them, are a sight to behold. I've got a huge one that I put a big pot of pink Mandevilla beside and it grows and twines itself through the Pokeberry all summer. Beautiful. The seedlings that come up in my grass I just keep mowed down. Others I just pull.

On May 30, 2011, plant_it from Valparaiso, IN wrote:

The pokeweed is a native plant from New England States to Minnesota and south to Florida and Texas. Pokeweed berries are an important food source for wild life. American Robin, Northern Mockingbird, Mourning Dove, Gray Catbird, Eastern Bluebird, Northern Cardinal, Great-crested Flycatcher, Eastern Kingbird, Eastern Phoebe, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, European Starling, Brown Thrasher, Cedar Waxwing, Red Fox, Virginia Opossum, Raccoon, and White-footed Mouse all eat the berries. From what I've read, deer don't care for it much.

I also read that a possible cure for childhood leukemia may be found in the common pokeweed. Not too bad for a weed.

citations:
http://www.altna... read more

On Sep 22, 2010, Stalker from Woodbridge, VA wrote:

I use pokeberry to stain wood. It makes a very bright (light)red stain on most woods. I grow it in a large bed next to my driveway, at the moment but it does have a mind of its own and a strong will to spread. I rip out most of the young plants in spring so it doesn't take over the entire yard. Birds love it. Having it in my yard attracts lots of different birds.
The key to getting along with poke berry is you have to diligently weed in spring. Select a spot (or two) for two or three plants and let them stay. IT is a perennial so you can keep it in one spot and the plant will get a little bigger and healthier each year.

Bottom line is; It's very hardy and very invasive. Oh and it's poisonous.

On Aug 9, 2010, dianengus from Totz, KY wrote:

Here in my neck of the woods, Harlan County, Ky, we actually have a festival in June of every year honoring this lowly (?) weed. It is called the POKE SALLET FESTIVAL complete with a small carnival, photography, arts & crafts displays, and believe it or not, a poke sallet cooking contest!!! You would be amazed at the creativity of the cooks around here as we have had everything from the traditional cooking of the greens to poke sallet lasagna!!

On Jun 11, 2010, MTVineman from Helena, MT (Zone 5a) wrote:

In my part of the US, this is an exotic introduction. It it not a pest here and doesn't make a nuisance of itself at all. In fact, I find it quite beautiful, but then I always find the good in almost all plants. Or I at least try. Actually, maybe I ought to take that back. Knapweed and Spurge and Dalmatian Toadflax are 3 plants that just make me insane. They are horrible weeds here and almost impossible to get rid of. But back to the Pokeberry. I do grow it here because it won't spread, the birds like the berries and so do I. For their beauty of course, not to eat! They sure do stain you if you get the juice on you. I see why Native Americans and early settlers used it as a dye plant. I first saw it on a trip to southern Missouri. It was growing all over in the creek bottoms and ditches of... read more

On May 24, 2010, jenbrink from Cincinnati, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

VERY INVASIVE, looks pretty the first time you see it. But it will get out of control.

First sign of it coming out of the ground either dig up, spray with vinegar or roundup.

On May 14, 2010, lehua_mc from Portland, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

I posted a picture of a bird planted pokeweed, in an early non-fruiting, small flowering stage primarily to assist in weed identification. I pulled it out of the garden on a recommendation from this website through the plant ID forum. I live in Portland, OR where it is on an Early Detection and Rapid Response (EDRR) list of invasive species of special concern to the Multnomah and Sandy River Basin area. The fact that birds can eat the berries is one of the more damaging aspects of the plants, since they can then spread the plant anywhere, including deep, relatively native, forest sites. If you have this for sale or trade, be aware of the nuisance and invasive lists of the area you want to trade in. If you are reading for advice on the plant, please be aware that this is a national site, an... read more

On Sep 1, 2009, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

All I can say is that I did not plant this, must have been a birdie gift. I pulled the one and only plant I had, remains to be seen if I'll see it again. Berries are pretty and I can see why birds would like this plant. In my garden, berries seem to mature in late summer.

On Apr 29, 2009, redpondranch from Seguin, TX wrote:

This plant appeared on our south central Texas property after we had the septic tank hole dug...I had never seen it before then. I really like it! It grows big and lush in just a few weeks in the spring, and the berries are spectacular. Poisonous? So what? So are a lot of other plants! Just don't let the kiddos eat the berries, and you're OK.

The young plants are easy to transplant, but forget about moving the big guys.

What I like most about this plant is that it's one of the few things in my garden that the deer don't appear to be at all interested in, and that makes it terrific in my book!

On Mar 31, 2009, raeingarden from Baltimore, MD wrote:

I used to play in this plant as a child and about 15 years ago I was clearing a garden and got covered with the sap. Next I was covered with a rash which my doctor diagnosed as poison sumac. He told me to avoid the plant as with allergies they only get worse. About three years later I gingerly removed the plant full grown from the side of the house and then through caution to the winds tearing out some invasive mint not realizing their were babypokeweed plants co mingled. Several hours later I was covered with the same rash and this time given serious medication pregnisone which my family said made me impossible to live with. Now if I spy a pokeweed in any stage my husband removes it asap. I hope I have some bizarre reaction as I agree it is not unpleasent to look at.

... read more

On Mar 21, 2009, eatmyplants from Comanche county, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

As far as being poisonous, there are many common garden vegetables and most common flowers are on the USDA poisonous plants list. The tomato is considered a poisonous plant, also the potato. Heck, I even saw catfish on a poisonous fish list in the science building at Howard Payne University. Ok, regarding pokeweed, it's very common here but I've never seen it become invasive. I've found it on old abandoned farm properties along with pomegranates, onions and other plants that the old timers kept around because they ate them. The fresh, new tender leaves are excellent boiled greens if you boil and change the water twice. I've eaten them for years and have never become sick. I'll be gathering a batch soon. Yum.

On Dec 13, 2008, BLOSSOMBUDDY from (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have nothing good to say about this plant.

To kill it... use Roundup.

It is invasive, poisious, spread by bird and is a menace.
Pretty is as pretty does. But this plant can get huge.
My neighbor has it in their pasture with livestock....when they have no other vegitation to eat, the animals will ingest it. Then she wonders why she got sick animals...some people just have no clue. Some vets have no clue either.

If you grow it, be prepared to control it. And that is hard to do with a plant the birds love and they have immunity to. Perhaps pot it, but it has a tape root so that makes doing that difficult when the plant gets huge.

On Sep 10, 2008, tergail from Belleville, MI wrote:

I think this plant is beautiful. We moved into this house late last fall so we are now discovering all the plant life on our property. We have so many plants that seem to produce one kind of berry or another. But I fell in love with this one in the spring. The colors are fantastic. Where it is growing hides some unsightly views so thats a good thing. However...I do have small children so I do worry about it now. But we've done a good job of teaching them not to eat anything growing wild unless we tell them it's ok. And I always search out what it is before I let them. But again. I think this plant is beautiful.

On Aug 20, 2008, mizar5 from Merritt Island, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have 2 of these that are "volunteers" but I like the look of the berries and they're in a "wildlife" area we have in the yard so they're OK with me.

They've been knocked down and stomped on and looked dead but came back every time. Oops.

As for invasive tendencies, ours DO NOT seem to be starting up elsewhere on the property and we've been here for years and years.

I know I've touched this plant before (dragging the dead parts to the trash, etc.) but I experienced no physical reaction. Maybe it's just me.

On Jul 27, 2008, GreenLaPortian from La Porte, IN wrote:

Due to its invasive and poisonous qualities, I can see why this plant isn't terribly loved, but I can't help but be impressed with the amount of growth this plant "puts out" every year. It dies back to its roots every winter and comes back bigger the following season. I often wonder whether this plant might be a good candidate for ethanol production?!

On Jun 22, 2008, kryistina from Springfield, MO wrote:

One berry a day has been said to ease arthritis pain, and the juice makes a great dye or ink.

On Dec 1, 2007, maccionoadha from Halifax, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

You can eat the young shoots in Spring, but only before they get 10 to 12 inches tall and leaf out. You must boil the young shoots in several changes of water. DO NOT EAT RAW! The mature parts of the plant are toxic if eaten and can cause severe vomiting. Eating the berries can cause nausea and if eaten by children, can cause severe reactions. DO NOT EAT THE ROOTS! The root has a dangerous narcotic effect.

On Nov 28, 2007, creekwalker from Benton County, MO (Zone 5a) wrote:

Poke can become quite invasive. It suddenly appeared in my yard in town and I was never able to get rid of it.

The boiled leaves are excellent, but if you aren't used to it, start with a very small amount as it will clean you out!

Only use very young leaves and never use any if the stems have already turned purple.

On Jul 26, 2007, PlantGirl1982 from Cedar Rapids, IA (Zone 5a) wrote:

Why would anyone want this plant? Are you all crazy who want to buy it. If you are crazy enough I will send you an armfull, it has come up in every bed I have created. Oh and by the way it is on the USDA Poisonous Plants list!

The berries, ripening in autumn and poisonous to humans, are very popular with migrating songbirds, especially robins, towhees, mockingbirds, mourning doves, catbirds, and bluebirds. The birds are very effective at converting the purple berries into purple splotches on the sidewalk. Sometimes the birds get drunk on overly ripe berries and don't seem to care where they leave their purple splotches.

WARNING
The roots, berries, seeds, and mature stems and leaves of pokeweed are dangerously poisonous. Only the young shoots and deve... read more

On Jul 26, 2007, Cambium from Lamar, AR (Zone 7b) wrote:

While it may be considered true that the plant is poisonous, I've never heard of anyone dying from it. If a large amount is consumed, it could cause diarrhea & the fresh sap may be injurous to the eyes. I'm sure that the more mature the plant, the higher the toxins would be.

As previously said, the berries are highly favored by birds. It is by this fact alone, I'd keep the plants around. It seems that they tend to be an open canopy type plant so they could shade smaller plants under it.

It is known as a spring green from those who eat wildfoods. By my family's experience its young leaves & tips are very edible. We ate these delicious parts until it started blooming. By then we'd have other greens in the garden to enjoy. In the early spring, I used to s... read more

On Jul 22, 2007, Blubird333 from Shawnee Mission, KS wrote:

This plant started growing in my backyard in Merriam, KS a few years ago. I let it go because of the beautiful berries that the birds love. It comes back faithfully every year. It spreads so well because I believe the birds deposit the seeds across the garden. If you weed it while it's very small and young, it's no problem to contain...once the plant is 5-6 feet high...its roots are huge. But once anyone sees the huge amount of beautiful cascading berries and watches the birds eat them...you will never want to be without this awesome plant in your garden.

On Apr 29, 2007, jamlabor from Pittsburgh, PA wrote:

I live in Pittsburgh and I have a double city lot in back. I've been building walls, steps, perennial beds, etc. to dolly up the yard as it was an abandoned jungle when I moved in. Anyhow, this pokeweed is making my life miserable...it's growing everywhere and as many have noted, it's impossible to eradicate. Has anyone had success removing this plant?

On Mar 13, 2007, WUVIE from Hulbert, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Living in the country, we see Poke in mass. We
allow it to grow, and even move it closer to the house
to enjoy the birds that come to dine on the many
berries (seeds) the plants put off each year.

While I'm not into eating the greens, I do welcome
Poke (Polk Salet) in my garden. Digging some up?
Better get a long shovel. :-)

Karen Marie

On Jan 7, 2007, Deannagraham from Plant City, FL wrote:

From personal experience, the toxicity of this plant varies greatly depending on time of year and part of plant. Roots are highly toxic. Skip this entirely if you have kids or horses!

On Sep 2, 2006, Magpye from NW Qtr, AR (Zone 6a) wrote:

Pokeweed, Poke Salad (Phytolacca americana)

The small white flowers are in a tapering raceme. Purple to black berries with a staining juice are used as a food coloring and in dyes. The berries and seeds are eaten by song and game birds, while the plants are eaten by deer.

The stems are branching and purplish near the ends. The leaves of young plants (poke salad), are eaten by some people in the spring months. Grows well on disturbed ground, roadsides, ditch banks, lots, cut-over or burned woodlands.

On Jul 18, 2006, hotlanta from Lilburn, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This plant does grow wild in this area. It is very invasive, but it could be called interesting. The berries are intoxicating to birds. I have seen birds act strange shortly after eating them, but it does not take them long to recuperate. I have heard and read tales about the young (spring) shoots being cooked and eaten (poke salad), but I don't recommend it. I do have a small patch of these plants in my "natural area" just for the birds, because there is so much building going on here, there is less and less for them to eat.

On Apr 27, 2006, Maria2354 from Fernandina Beach, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I got this Pokeweed as a "freebee" in a wildflower seed mix packet from an online seed company. It was not listed on their website, but online research showed me that it is the American Pokeweed. I am glad to have in a flower pot, so hopefully it is contained. It has produced nice looking berries in winter, though.

On Jan 19, 2006, ravntorthe from Elkins, WV wrote:

The plant really does have a beautiful coloration and its root has been used for the production of soap (I'm not certain how this was done, I'll eventually know). Just for those of you who might want to plant it, use some sort of underground containment!

As has already been stated, they get BIG tap roots and wherever you cut (like comfrey) the little buggers will grow another stalk. If you do have some you are digging, note all the nice little nodes they have just waiting to produce more of themselves. I don't mean to sound bitter, I like the plant but I spent all last season trying to get two seperate plants in two very different areas of my yard to GO AWAY. I thought I had finally triumphed after I dug down about 2 1/2 feet and dug out the major portion of tap roots. Inst... read more

On Sep 20, 2005, Breezymeadow from Culpeper, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have to admit that even though it is a difficult-to-eradicate noxious weed, I too allow it to flourish on my property where appropriate due to its attributes as wild bird food. In fact, I currently have several plants right up against my deck that are around 12-foot tall & covered with berries. I've let them grow there because they are covered with birds as well.

Drawbacks? Late in the season the berries can ferment on the plant & actually "intoxicate" the birds, so if you do have these plants about & at the same time see a number of birds behaving strangely, this might be the cause. Another drawback is that birds feeding on the berries produce droppings that will stain wood (decks & outdoor furniture), as well as fabric if you hang your wash outdoors. And - as others... read more

On Sep 20, 2005, CaptMicha from Brookeville, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

Yes, pokeweed does have a tendency to grow where it is unwanted but I find that it's very easy to pull up.

Pokeweed plays an important role in nature as it feeds a great many birds. I've observed mockingbirds and cedar waxwings as the most attracted to pokeweed but also other species of birds as well.

I strongly advise letting pokeweed grow in uninhabited areas of property to provide food for wildlife in a world where their natural food and habitat is fast dissapearing.

On Sep 19, 2005, jansong from South Hadley, MA (Zone 5b) wrote:

Thank you for the information that birds will like the fruit later. I didn't cut mine down (though I may be sorry since it crowds the lilac bush) because I thought the birds would.

On Aug 31, 2005, berryls from Dayton, OH wrote:

When this plant first came up on my property, I thought it was pretty too, and let it set fruit. BEWARE. It is hugely invasive. It has invaded several of my flowerbeds and cannot be removed without digging out the huge fleshy root.

On Jun 14, 2005, LulaLu from Olive Branch, MS (Zone 7b) wrote:

I used to always chop poke weed down until I noticed how the birds loved the berries.

On Jun 13, 2005, chicochi3 from Fayetteville, AR (Zone 6b) wrote:

This stuff is very invasive and a real pain because it keeps coming up in more places.

On Feb 10, 2005, Crimson from Clarksville, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

The red color of the stems and the purple berries make a great color combination. A fast cover or hedge to screen a "bad" view or grown along a chainlink fence.... but once established you better like it since it is VERY hard to remove, you'd have to dig the HUGE tap roots out!

On May 2, 2004, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

Attractive to wildlife, and used sparingly as 'Spring Greens' ,Pokeweed is well known in this area. It overwinters, and new growth is seen on old roots each Spring.

On Dec 22, 2002, lindaruth wrote:

Pokeweed berries are highly attractive to robins, bluebirds and other fruit-eating birds during the winter (although they ignore it during the fall when the berries are ripening). Do not cut down the plant until the birds have removed all the berries, usually by mid-winter.

On Sep 16, 2002, karenk from Hillsdale, MI (Zone 3b) wrote:

They grow wild around here in Michigan zone 5b....They're everywhere here. But they are very, very pretty right now, all bright red and with those dark purple seeds.

On Sep 15, 2002, AUNTIELEE wrote:

Where I live we had plenty of poke greens; for some reason it stopped growing. I used to freeze it for winter.

On Sep 14, 2002, gonedutch from Fairport, NY wrote:

WARNING: While good science is still lacking, anecdotal evidence suggests that skin contact with any part of American Pokeweed can affect the human nervous system. Pretty plant, but beware!

On Sep 2, 2002, woodspirit1 from Lake Toxaway, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

Pokeweed tends to sprout on newly disturbed ground and on burned areas. In the south, a lot of people eat the greens; I certainly do. They are a little strong-flavored so I usually boil them awhile, pour the water off, and then start again with fresh water and seasonings. Cut them off to the ground when they are quite young and tender, before any berries appear, at about a foot tall or less. Several sprouts will come up where you made the cut and you get to recut them and have several intervals when you can get a "mess" for quite awhile. They are delicious. Just call me Poke Salet Annie!
I know you hear about them being poisonous and I supposed if you ate enough of the berries, that could be true. But my mother-in-law used to color her apple jelly with the juice from the berries.<... read more

On Jul 29, 2001, eltel from Macclesfield, CHESHIRE (Zone 8a) wrote:

CAUTION. It is strongly recommended that this plant is not put in any garden where young children (who may be tempted to eat the berries) have access. They are poisonous. In addition, be careful when taking cuttings, as the roots of most varieties are highly toxic.