Cranesbill, Hardy Geranium
Geranium x oxonianum 'Claridge Druce'

Family: Geraniaceae (jer-ay-nee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Geranium (jer-AY-nee-um) (Info)
Species: x oxonianum (oks-oh-nee-AH-num) (Info)
Cultivar: Claridge Druce

Albion, Pennsylvania

West Chester, Pennsylvania

Mechanicsville, Virginia

On Apr 2, 2013, otter47 from Livermore, CA wrote:

This is one tough hardy geranium, requiring only moderate amounts of water through the long California dry summer. The plant stays green all year and increase by outward growth of the clump and by self-sown seeds. After a few years, you'll have divisions or new plants to give to friends and neighbors. It responds very well to cutting back severely after its first bloom cycle, and we sometimes get 3 cycles of bloom in a year. All in all a highly recommended plant for easy care gardening..

On Nov 25, 2011, suguy from Simi Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I use this plant all the time as an accent and filler in my landscape designs.
Claridge Druce is long-lived, tolerant of many types of soils and sites and requires little care to grow and flourish.

On Jun 3, 2011, Leehallfae from Seattle, WA wrote:

This is a zero care perennial. Kick some soil onto it, and leave it.
Claridge Druce can survive freezing temperatures and temps over 108F.

It has very attractive foliage, and grows to about 2 1/2 feet.

On Jun 13, 2009, straea from Somerville, MA (Zone 6b) wrote:

If I had read the previous comment before planting this, I don't think I even would have tried, and I would have missed out! The only care I've ever given this plant is that I watered it regularly for several weeks after planting it because it kept drooping in my hot, windy, sloped garden. This was almost exactly two years ago, and if I had it to do over, I'd have planted it in spring instead of summer, so it could have adjusted before the onset of summer.

Since then, I've just left it alone. I've never deadheaded it, fertilized it, nor sheared it back, and it's done just fine. (I have never had a single seedling.) It is the toughest full-sized cranesbill I've ever grown, prospering in my (as I mentioned) hot, windy, sloped garden. It just put out its first flower of ... read more

On May 14, 2006, ladygardener1 from Near Lake Erie, NW, PA (Zone 5a) wrote:

Plant goes through stages, comes up as a very uniform mounding plant needs support as it flowers and becomes "wild" or heavy. Can be mannaged if cut back to ground and it will revive nicely to its mounded form.

I find it will reseed so either keep the plant cut down after flowering or have lots to give away or relocate.

I like the plant, but it needs attention to keep it looking nice.