PlantFiles: Geranium, Cranesbill
Geranium 'Rozanne'

Family: Geraniaceae (jer-ay-nee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Geranium (jer-AY-nee-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Rozanne
Additional cultivar information: (PP12175)
Hybridized by Waterer; Year of Registration or Introduction: 2001

Thumbnail #6 of Geranium  by growin

By saya
Thumbnail #7 of Geranium  by saya

Positive coriaceous On Feb 26, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This is an extraordinary performer. Blooms nonstop here from June to frost. Flowers are blue-violet in cool weather and approach magenta in the hottest summer weather.

The habit is loose and open, with stems that weave/trail gracefully. It doesn't produce multiple crowns, and can't be successfully divided. Stems do not self-layer. Propagation is only by layering or by cuttings taken in spring before flowering, with permission of the patent holder, of course.

These have a higher mortality than I usually like to see in a perennial, especially after a hard winter, but I think the extraordinary length of bloom makes this plant well worth replacing. (Boston Z6a)

I'm hoping the similar new Geranium x 'Havana Blues' is hardier.

Neutral avolloc On Jul 5, 2013, avolloc from Albertville, MN wrote:

I have Rozanne growing here in MN and it has survived our harsh winters and alkaline clay. However, they get hot afternoon sun and are growing quite leggy and some of the leaves are burning. They have beautiful blooms, and compliment the bright orangey fuchsia Benjamin Britten Roses quite nicely...

Positive SEalaska On May 25, 2012, SEalaska from Sitka, AK wrote:

Absolutely love this perennial. Does well in Sitka, Ak. and blooms nonstop in front of my bonica rose. The rozanne's leaf color adds some very nice contrast as well.

Negative clairesn On Aug 6, 2011, clairesn from Germantown, TN wrote:

Here in Memphis (zone 7b), I've planted a half dozen Rozannas at the front of my foundation bed, which faces east. Some of the plants are two years old, with others in their first season replacing a few that died. They get afternoon shade from the house, which is recommended for our hot summer temps, but do get a good dose of morning sun and enough water in the early morning to get them through the day. We've had temps up to 106 so far this year, with 90-degree days starting 3 months ago.

Rozannas (maybe all hardy geraniums?) do not like the hot weather here. I have stella d'oro daylillies right next to them that are still sending up blooms with similar care. I do not recommend planting them from the Mid-South through Oklahoma/Arkansas/Texas--anyplace that gets our truly miserable summers. Georgia gets the typical hot southern summer; but we're even worse here with the weather coming up from Texas.

My Rozannas are still alive, and even sporadically blooming, but are ratty looking. Many of the nicely-wandering stems have dried up and died (it's NOT likely an overwatering problem), with other stems trying to grow back from the center. They'll likely spring back in the fall--and they DO bloom a long time!-- but I'll probably pull them up and replace with lantana or purslane for summer color next year--something that can actually stand up to heat. Too bad...I was hoping to avoid the alternating winter pansies & summer annuals merry-go-round typically planted here. Rozannas are probably safer up to zone 6b/7a. We're 7b, just a few miles from zone 8, and that's too hot.

Positive KayMN On Jul 4, 2011, KayMN from Robbinsdale, MN wrote:

My Rozanne is on it's 2nd summer. I planted it last fall. It came up nicely but it got leggy. This spring the plant suffered 2 injuries (kids!) so I gave it a sharp prunning (only 3" left). It had new growth coming again in the middle so I'm hoping this will help it be more mounded. I read that it get's leggy from too much shade. I have it in part sun. I will let you know how it comes back. I'm guessing next summer I will move it to a spot that is full sun. I just need to make room for her somewhere. It sounds like it looks best where it can creep around the base of other plants. Rozanne does have beautiful blooms. No deadheading is also nice and it has beautiful leaves in the fall.

Neutral ms_greenjeans On Jun 27, 2011, ms_greenjeans from Hopkins, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I planted several of these geraniums because I love hardy geraniums and I have several varieties. Of about 6 that I planted, only one survived, which I found very surprising. The other types planted in the same area were fine. The one that survived, however, is growing vigorously and blooming beautifully. On that basis of that one plant, I'd give this a positive rating, but because I lost so many, it is neutral.

Neutral rmlandarch On May 22, 2011, rmlandarch from Oakland, CA wrote:

This is a great, fast growing, long flowering perennial that I've used in most gardens I've designed in the San Francisco Bay Area. It thrives in very hot areas. I cut it back 1/2 way in July if it gets too large and it comes back nicely. The problem is that about 50% of them die during the winter. And these are in mild Bay Area winters. Almost all plants disappear in the winter and 1/2 grow back starting in May. Not sure why they are dying back. Any thoughts?

Positive whitesam9 On Feb 26, 2011, whitesam9 from Dayton, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I put a couple Rozanne geraniums in a really shady spot, but they thrived in the shade. They have an incredibly long blooming season. Mine bloomed from when I planted them in April through mid-November without stopping. The blue-purple color of these geraniums looked great mixed with my yellow Corydalis.

Neutral groggyfrog On Aug 4, 2010, groggyfrog from Calgary
Canada (Zone 3b) wrote:

This plant is definitely hardy in our zone but its very slow to emerge in the spring. Its in a full sun location yet is still quite small right now (early August) and has buds only. The flowers are lovely when they finally arrive and once it gets going they do last well into the fall.

Positive Colo5b On Jul 28, 2010, Colo5b from Boulder, CO wrote:

I've found a way to get some little starts from my enormous "Rozanne". It's in a too-shady spot, but I hate to risk the whole plant by moving it. It's 18 months old, planted from a 4" nursery pot, and it sprawls (beautifully) about 4' across.

In late May I dug a small trench, an inch or so deep, and buried a leaf node about a foot away from the mother plant, leaving it connected. I mulched with a couple inches of pine straw. It is now late July, and I have new growth and roots. Success!

Now I can try it in a sunnier spot. Perhaps the blooms will be more blue (less purple) in more sun. I'd like that.

Positive allcarrots On Jul 11, 2010, allcarrots from Fairfield, PA wrote:

I love Rozanne. Such a cheerful blue and such profuse blooming. And what a grower! My two plants have spread about 4 square feet each and draped themselves over the asters and sedums. Unfortunately both of their centers are looking leggy. Does anyone have experience in cutting them back sharply in mid-summer for more compact bloom?

Positive 6aseeder On Jun 11, 2010, 6aseeder from Arlington, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

love this plant! it starts just after my other perennial geraniums, but continues well into late summer. i deadhead and i even had a few blossoms into late september last year. it does not expand much for me, unfortunately (i have pretty poor soil right now) so i bought more rozanne to replace my other perennial geraniums. my next batch of compost will go to improve the soil for my rozannes.

Positive rabbitsdiner On May 9, 2010, rabbitsdiner from Carmel, IN wrote:

Have to rate this as positive, even though I've had mixed results. I've planted several. Some were done in by the bunnies. One took years, but finally has acheived some size. Another was wonderful from the second year. It has such a long season of bloom, with such pretty blue blooms. It's worth continuing to plant (while protecting it from Thumper while it's young).

Positive lemon_tree On May 6, 2010, lemon_tree from Santa Rosa, CA wrote:

I wanted to add that I bought this plant last spring and it didn't seem to do much growing and never flowered. It all but disappeared come winter and eventually I assumed I had killed it. A few weeks ago I was pulling weeds and found those familiar geranium leaves. Now here come flowers! Be patient with this one if it doesn't grow much the first year. It may come back better than ever!

Negative schifferle On Jan 17, 2010, schifferle from Lansing, KS wrote:

It grows well the spring I plant it and over the summer, but insists on dying over the winter in zone 5b. I'm trying a hardier variety this summer.

Positive BlackDogKurt On Sep 6, 2008, BlackDogKurt from Seymour, CT wrote:

I decided to try some Rozanne this year after reading so many good things about this 2008 Perennial of the Year. I have to say that I have been very impressed. All of my plants started blooming within weeks of being planted (unusual for most perennial flowers) and have bloomed non-stop all summer into fall. Doesn't need any deadheading either. Seems to spread rapidly but is not at all thuggish - grows and creeps low to the ground around other plants. The best part is the beutiful shade of lavender blooms. Very stunning!

Neutral lottadata On Jul 14, 2008, lottadata from Turners Falls, MA wrote:

I planted two of these a year ago from tiny seedlings bought at a nursery. They are each 5 feet wide this year. They have a nice color and long blooms, but they have completely taken over the beds they were planted in.

Positive jackiescompost On May 7, 2008, jackiescompost from Mission Viejo, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

I have grown this geranium for a year with success in southern California. It is a hybrid of two older geraniums - G. himalayense and G. wallichianum, both of which are rated for USDA zones 4-10 and up to 24 in Sunset zones.

The filing date for the patent is 1999 PP12175 It was originally spotted in 1990 by Donald & Rozanne Waterer in their personal retirement garden in Somerset. They nurtured the find, then offered it to Adrian Bloom of Blooms of Bressingham in 1992 for commercial development. It was released to the public for the 2000/2001 gardening seasons.

Positive 4paws On Mar 22, 2008, 4paws from Citra, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Written while living in Hoopa, CA zone 8a
This is one of my favorite plants - it has blooms even in December. Very happy blue, blooms repeatedly all summer and trails for 2-3 feet. Easy care.

Positive cloverlymd On Mar 14, 2008, cloverlymd from Silver Spring, MD wrote:

In last year's miserable drought, this bloomed endlessly. A definite winner.

Neutral Fledgeling On Jan 4, 2008, Fledgeling from Huron, SD wrote:

This plant was named 2008 Perennial plant of they year by the Perennial Plant Association

Positive VickaLyn On Jul 27, 2007, VickaLyn from Gary, IN wrote:

I've had two of these plants for about 6 years now. They are faithful returns in the spring and do bloom beautifully. Mine are getting really too big for the space they are in and I'm wondering how to go about splitting them? Do I just dig them up in the spring and chop the root ball in half or what?

Positive ladychroe On Jun 29, 2007, ladychroe from Bridgewater, NJ wrote:

It does get larger than its tag states, but since it has this great weaving habit, I placed it in a spot where its neighbors (hosta, lupine) were accidentally planted too far apart. Rozanne fills in the gaps between the plants perfectly. It's not dense, but not untidy or rangy either. It just creeps along the ground wherever there is room, blooming its fool head off.

If you wanted a mound, you could probably plant a few together and let each build the others up.

The flower color changes depending on the weather. Sometimes, when it's cool, it's as blue as any other "blue" flower. When the weather gets warmer, it's more purple. It adds another point of interest to an already beautiful plant.

Mine is growing in a mostly shady area, in slightly amended NJ clay.

Neutral berrygirl On Mar 19, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Medium 20" - Plant 24" apart. zone 5-8. Extremely long blooming - even through the heat of August. Mounded, slightly marbled foliage turns attractively red in fall. Very heat tolerant. Flowers are deeper blue. Will spread to fill in with moist organic soil.

Positive MaggieKaye On Sep 2, 2006, MaggieKaye from Rochester, MN wrote:

This is the second summer for mine, and it has been unbelievable! Last fall it was still blooming strong when I was putting my Halloween pumpkins out on the porch, I was actually ready for it to stop! This year it has bloomed non-stop. The only thing is, it gets A LOT bigger than the stated size, mine right now about 36 inches across, plant it in a spot where it will have lots of room!

Positive rcn48 On Jan 30, 2006, rcn48 from Lexington, VA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Blooms of Bressingham selection. Vigorous grower with deep green foliage which performs well even in the heat of southern summers and blooms right through until frost.

Positive Sally_Denver On Sep 1, 2005, Sally_Denver from Denver, CO (Zone 5b) wrote:

Yes, what a grower! Mine (2) get just a few hours of Denver sun, but interweave with other plants and drape gently over some groundcovers without smothering. Perhaps they are lankier than usual, but they bloom like crazy. Lovely with orange columbine, Aquilegia desertorum, in my ornage and purple section. Also really nice covering over a bulb bed, and the fall-bloooming Crocus speciosus or colchicums will look great popping through!

Positive chantboy On Jul 26, 2005, chantboy from Hartford, NY wrote:

I agree with the others' comments and would only add that it's a good thing it's so beautiful and long-blooming, because it spreads like crazy! It has pretty much monopolized a wildflower garden I created in my front yard. And "yes", it makes a delightful combination with coreopsis.

Positive jamie68 On Jul 17, 2005, jamie68 from Vancouver, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is one of the best Geraniums to come along in years!!! Very crisp, clean apple green foliage which has amazing fall color. The flowers are an almost unreal blue, and are so very plentiful. Long bloom period, and nice overall habit makes this a definite must have!!!

Positive evanpowens On Sep 25, 2004, evanpowens from Princeton Junction, NJ (Zone 6b) wrote:

I planted geranium 'rozanne' from White Flower Farm this spring. It has bloomed well all summer and is still going strong in late September. I put it around groups of Coreopsis 'creme brulee' for a fantastic purple and yellow combination. Highly recommended.
11/21/04: still blooming but leaves have turned fantastic colors . I'll be ordering more for next season to go in my rose beds.

Neutral poppysue On Aug 4, 2003, poppysue from Westbrook, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is a hybrid of G. himalayense x G. wallichianum 'Buxton's Variety'

Montgomery, Alabama
Richmond, California
Riverside, California
Santa Rosa, California
Aurora, Colorado
Denver, Colorado (2 reports)
Kiowa, Colorado