Parrot's Beak 'Lady Di'

Heliconia psittacorum

Family: Heliconiaceae
Genus: Heliconia (hel-ih-KOH-nee-uh) (Info)
Species: psittacorum (sit-a-KOR-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Lady Di

Pale Yellow

Boca Raton, Florida (2 reports)

Maitland, Florida

Canyon Lake, Texas

Friendswood, Texas

Santa Fe, Texas

On Jul 17, 2012, KleeKlee from Fort Lauderdale, FL wrote:

It's only my second year with a garden, but I love how my Lady Di psittacorum are blooming year round in South Florida.
However, the leaves on some have turned completely yellow. Is it too much sun? The grouping that has turned yellow receives 90% sun despite my attempt to shade them under a banana stand. And I do cut them sometimes. The ones under an awning look much healthier.

And a question regarding heliconia rostrata: Where on the plant do you cut them after they bloom in order to encourage more blooms... all the way to the ground or just under the bract? A photo or instructional video would help if you know of any. Thanks!

On Nov 30, 2009, fairbt from Palm Beach Gardens, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

In our development the original developer planted Lady Di's in two places. One in areas surrounded by pavers and the other in the open as part of hedges, etc. Our landscape committee has deemed this plant as a very invasive plant for the same reason that some of the posters have stated, they pop where you did not plant them, including other people's property. We have had to remove stray plants from numerous locations where they did not belong. We do not have an issue with plants surrounded by pavers or in pots. And, we did not outlaw all Heliconia, just H. psittacorum.

On May 24, 2008, bobd441 from Boca Raton, FL wrote:

Since moving to Boca Raton in 2003, and buying a house where there were about 10 of these plants in a small planter on the patio, I transplanted them successfully to other locations around the property.

They seem to be a very hardy plant, needing no attention, other than pulling out the old stalks, once the flower is dead.

However, they do grow out on their own, showing up in the lawn, and even growing under cement dividers of planters. Just mowing them down doesn't stop them from spreading.

They are a bright source of color for the landscape, and the flowers last a long time.

I am what I think of as a 'relaxed grower', meaning that I let things grow as they might, until I feel the need to move things around or get rid of things.... read more

On Jul 2, 2006, skaz421 from Wesley Chapel, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I bought this plant at one of the USF Botanical Gardens plant sales. It flowered before any of my other Heliconias. It's easy enough to grow - I haven't had the chance to fertilize it yet.

On Jul 22, 2005, LaLambchop from Chapin, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Gorgeous color and easy to grow. Tolerates Florida summer heat well if partly shaded and kept moist.

On Dec 18, 2004, corky59 from Lakeland, FL wrote:

I am in lakeland fla. this plant does well here but i was disappointed in the colors. i may need to enrich soil? let me know what to do. the plants were sorta dull? could it have been all the rain from the hurricanes? awaiting a reply. thanks, marilynne

On Dec 17, 2004, SOCALBOY122162 from Venice, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I encourage all Florida residents in zone 9b/10a to try this as well as all other psittacora in protected locations. This is a stunning cultivar, a living tribute to Princess Diana.

On Jul 19, 2004, punaheledp from Kailua, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

This is the same as or very similar to cultivar "Lizzette". While I don't care for many of the larger heliconia, I do think the many psitticorum very nice. Just split my potted 1 into 3 pots (easy to do, as least while still relatively small), so they have more room to grow while I prepare an area to plant. Description of Lizzette: bract dark red shading down to pink, with cream yellow septals banded with green/black at the tips. semi-dwarf 2-1/2'-5'