Hoya, Wax Plant, Porcelain Flower

Hoya australis subsp. tenuipes

Family: Asclepiadaceae (ass-kle-pee-ad-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hoya (HOY-a) (Info)
Species: australis subsp. tenuipes

Late Fall/Early Winter

Mid Winter

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Quincy, Florida

On Nov 15, 2010, Gennienut from North Rustico

My Hoya plant is an indoor plant. I have had it for over 5 years and it has bloomed twice. I love the smell of the flowers!!!

The leaves on my plant are much smaller than those pictured.

On Oct 25, 2010, atisch from Alameda, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This has been one of my best performing Hoyas over the last year. In that time it has grown from little more than a rooted cutting into a fairly large plant that is now beginning to bloom quite well. The plant is in growth almost constantly rather than some Hoyas that tend to grow in spurts. The new growth is rather easy to train on a support with leaves that mature over several months. The leaves are attractive and are almost as wide as long. Younger leaves (and stems) are bright green and lightly covered with very fine hairs. As they mature leaves tend toward deeper green and the hairs less noticeable. The larger mature leaves are about 4.5" wide and 5.5' long and to my mind resemble the leaves of the common rubber plant (Ficus elastica) though not quite as large or as dark.

... read more

On Apr 29, 2010, plantladylin from (Zone 1) wrote:

This is one of my favorite Hoya's because of the fact that it seems to be an easy grower for me. The potting medium I use is the same thing I use for almost every other plant I grow, a combination of potting soil and orchid bark mix. I used to throw in some perlite but haven't added that in a couple of years.

I let this plant get almost totally dry, then water thoroughly with the garden hose, making sure I saturate the potting medium until the water is pouring out the drain holes of the pot. I live in an area with year-round humidity which helps with moisture. The location I keep this one is my screened pool enclosure, where it receives filtered sun most of the day. The white blooms are pretty and extremely fragrant in the evening.