PlantFiles: Hoya, Wax Plant, Porcelain Flower
Hoya serpens

Family: Asclepiadaceae (ass-kle-pee-ad-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hoya (HOY-a) (Info)
Species: serpens (SUR-penz) (Info)

Synonym:Hoya nummularia

Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

By Hoyamoyen

Thumbnail #6 of Hoya serpens by atisch

By atisch
Thumbnail #7 of Hoya serpens by atisch

Positive atisch On Oct 4, 2012, atisch from Alameda, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I had been fairly neutral about this plant until I moved it outside all year in a hanging pot. It's now one of my favorite potted plants--very compact and attractive even when out of bloom. The plant has been thriving here in the Bay Area's cool climate. It bloomed off and on from June through September. It's now October and still in bloom. I've been growing it in a wind-protected spot where it gets a bit of late afternoon sun. I only bring it in overnight when lows below freezing are predicted. It needs regular watering; more than other Hoyas.

The whitish flowers are borne in clusters (racemes) and are mildly fragrant in the evening. Each flower, .5 to .6 inches across, is about the same size as it's roundish and hairy leaves. They produce a prodigious amount of clear nectar that attracts hummingbirds.

Positive grdn4fn On Sep 18, 2012, grdn4fn from Miles City, MT wrote:

I live in SE Montana and have 2 hoya plants and keep both of them inside...both in eastern windows. I remember my mom growing one that bloomed all the time (not a real pretty smell though!). Mine have not bloomed yet but are only a couple years old.

Neutral lanternlady On Sep 18, 2012, lanternlady from Buffalo, NY wrote:

I usually keep this plant indoors, also. My neighbor gave me a cutting many years ago and it just keeps on growing...... no matter how much I ignore it! This summer I chose to put it outdoors (on the porch) just to give it some breathing room and it's done very well! I'll bring it in again for the late fall & winter, although I'm not looking forward to the scent of the flowers. WAY too overpowering!

Positive txboy65 On Sep 17, 2012, txboy65 from Austin, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have had this for a few years and it does bloom whenever it feels like it. It gets filtered light under a tree and has very long, trailing vines with dark, glossy green leaves. It blooms a light pink with dark center and every time I check for fragrance but find none. It is very pretty and survives on very little.

Positive golfgranny58 On Sep 17, 2012, golfgranny58 from Verona, MO wrote:

This plant was my mothers and I've had it about 10 years, we've taken cuttings off it that have thrived. She kept it in water in an eastern window, but I have it in soil, but it stays indoors. Hangs in an eastern window with partial sun. Blooms very seldom and although the blooms are fragrant as mentioned, it is not a nice fragrance after the first day or two. It's a lovely plant even if it doesn't bloom much, leaves are very glossy and have a very sharp point. I have never had seed pods as mentioned.

Positive athenssandy On Sep 17, 2012, athenssandy from Athens, TX wrote:

This plant just keeps on growing, needs little care. I water it when its dry. It seems to bloom whenever it feels like it. It doesn't seem to have a season . I keep it on my patio and it receives morning sun

Alameda, California