PlantFiles: Hoya, Wax Plant, Porcelain Flower
Hoya anulata

Family: Asclepiadaceae (ass-kle-pee-ad-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hoya (HOY-a) (Info)
Species: anulata (an-uh-LAH-ta) (Info)

Synonym:Hoya poolei
Synonym:Hoya pseudolittoralis

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Blue-Green
Shiny/Glossy-Textured

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

By AlohaHoya

Thumbnail #4 of Hoya anulata by SRQHoyas

By vcw1939
Thumbnail #5 of Hoya anulata by vcw1939

Positive vcw1939 On Jul 9, 2013, vcw1939 from Washington, GA wrote:

My wife acquired a small plant from her aunt several years ago. It started blooming after the plant had gotten root bound. My wife is the caretaker of this plant so I do not know the watering/care schedule. It has bloomed for several years now. We keep it in an enclosed hallway over the winter and it hangs on the North side of the house under an overhang from Spring to Fall. This year a seed pod developed and when it opened tiny seeds are seen hanging on threads.

Positive halloween On Oct 29, 2011, halloween from Georgetown, TX wrote:

I got my hoya from a cutting in 1988 and grew it in a hanging basket in an east facing window in Colorado. It had nice, thick, and glossy foliage. At the time, I didn't know what it was. In 1999 I moved to Williamson County, TX, and hung it on my well-shaded porch, and brought it indoors when the night time temps went below 55 in the fall. The next spring I hung it on the porch once again and was stunned when it began producing spectacular, waxy, artificial-looking clusters of flowers - 13 at one time! I then learned it was a hoya and that the long and by now unmanageable stems should not be trimmed off as the blooms are on the ends. I started two other plants from cuttings of that plant and both have bloomed when younger than the parent.

Positive LorraineBflo On Jan 17, 2011, LorraineBflo from Buffalo, NY wrote:

I LOVE this plant. I was given a clipping from a co-worker over 30 years ago and that clipping has never failed to please as it climbs on strings, curtains or whatever it can grab on to. Being from Bflo, N.Y. it is a houseplant and has been located in a South East window almost its entire life. It blooms faithfully every year and because of its size there are many fragrant blooms. Many nights I stand and wait to hear and see the little pocket books snap open. It is very easy to propagate from cuttings but am always careful that a little nob from a previous flower is included otherwise the cutting will in my experience never bloom. It is a plant you do not need to fuss over and has survived over and under waterings which happen once in awhile in our busy lives. I probably should but haven't repotted it in years but I do give it a little houseplant food now and again. It is a fun plant in that you can actually see the vine endings move from one window to another when the sun comes out or wrap itself around an object if held near it.

Neutral peggytheplantlady On Apr 23, 2010, peggytheplantlady from El Prado, NM wrote:

I have had a Hoya Vine now for 3 years, it's growing quite well but hasn't bloomed since I got it - It's about 3 feet from a south facing window and I keep it evenly moist. How do I get it to flower? It's really taken off growing during the last couple months and is putting out a lot of new growth!

Positive MsKitty On Jun 12, 2006, MsKitty from Chowchilla, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Plant info is for those growing in the Pacific Northwest: This plant is in a west/southwest-facing window. The soil is kept moist (not wet) and is misted a couple of times a day.

Lorette,