Peperomia, Philodendron-leaved Peperomia

Peperomia scandens

Family: Piperaceae
Genus: Peperomia (pep-er-ROH-mee-uh) (Info)
Species: scandens (SKAN-dens) (Info)
Synonym:Acrocarpidium scandens
Synonym:Piper scandens

Herbs

USDA Zone 10b: to 1.7 °C (35 °F)

USDA Zone 11: above 4.5 °C (40 °F)

Pale Green

Blooms all year

Variegated

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

From leaf cuttings

By simple layering

On May 19, 2004, easybeinggreen from Scottsville, NY wrote:

I love this plant. I bought it at an open air mkt in Rochester NY, in summer '03 in a 12" hanging basket for $3 because the caretakers were sick of looking at it. It has grown so successfully, and is so beautiful, that I wish i had gotten all three of the plants they were selling. But it was already huge!

I believe my plant is completely root bound, But I'm afraid to disturb it because it is doing fine. Because it is so large, I sometimes crush trailing stems and breakk them off when I rotate the plant. It's like a worm! It will quickly grow new foliage from severd stem.

I am going to try propagation this summer via cuttings.I will be taking pictures and sharing them if possible. I will let you all know how it goes as soon as I plant new plants, or toss nasty ... read more

On Aug 10, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro,
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

I got my plant from a pot thrown in the trash can. The plant was healthy and all, but it seems itīs former owner got tired of it... anyway...

Itīs a pendant herb whith fleshy, small, variegated leaves. Likes some sun, but will be alright in half shade. The flowers are insignificant, and will come in spikes that look like a lizardīs tail. Can be easily propagated from leaf cuttings and stem cuttings, or just laying down the stems on the soil (it likes organic soil and regular watering).

Itīs a perfect plant for hanging pots. A good idea for its usage is as a living curtain. Put a row of Peperomias in hanging pots above the window and let it grow. It will go down and soon will block the sun light, giving the room a nice and natural shade.