Naranjilla, Quito Orange, Golden Fruit of the Andes, Bed of Nails
Solanum quitoense

Genus: Solanum (so-LAN-num) (Info)
Species: quitoense (kee-toh-EN-see) (Info)
Synonym:Solanum angulatum

Edible Fruits and Nuts

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Burgundy

Cottage Grove, Oregon

Blythewood, South Carolina

Murrells Inlet, South Carolina

On Oct 8, 2014, Curtiss0928 from Summerfield, FL wrote:

I am growing Naranjilla about 15 miles south of Ocala, fl. The plant was a bit rough when i purchased it, but has flourished with little care. We have has a wet summer and i water it when it is dry. It has blooms now, and fruit about the size of a golf ball, green and fuzzy. i am hoping it will produce fruit in the next few weeks. I have planted it next to a concrete building and will cover it in the cold so it may make it through the winter and really take off in the spring

On May 16, 2012, poppaj from Sydney
Australia wrote:

I am successfully growing this strange fruit in Sydney, Australia. I was advised to hand pollinate for fruit in the first year and this has worked well with the plant flourishing and probably a dozen fruit formed. Plants are available from the Diggers Club (just Google) in Australia. The only problem I have is when to pick the fruit. Does anyone know how to tell the fruit has matured?

On Nov 21, 2010, davecito from Carrboro, NC wrote:

One of the greatest - but weirdest - things I think I've ever tried to grow.

I have 4 of them - 2 with spines, 2 without - and I haven't gotten them to fruit yet - they are a short day plant, so this far north (North Carolina) fruit might not happen. However, they also make extraordinary foliage plants.

Some notes on culture:

Once established, they can handle a light frost with no problem. 30F would be a good cutoff for keeping them outdoors, though mine have handled a degree or two below that. In the summer, mine needed to be kept in shade - direct strong sunlight or temps over 95F even in shade caused leaf wilt. These are the thirstiest plants I've ever seen - they need PERFECT drainage, but they also love love love lots of water. Fairl... read more

On Sep 1, 2005, lourspolaire from Delray Beach, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

I purchased this plant at the Montreal Botanical Garden in May 2005.

The plant is covered in prickly spines. They are found on both sides of the leaves, the stems and the stalk . That appealed to me. The leaves are also quite unusual in colour, sporting a mauve/purple hue. This plant is largely unknown here. It is quite the conversation piece, even among gardeners. It also makes a statement to the squirrels: leave me alone! They learn quickly.

I planted one in a large container on the deck. The other was planted in the ground. Both are in full sun. With regular watering and fertilizing, they grew quickly. The one in the planter is in bloom whereas the other one gives no indication it may bloom soon.

This is very tropical plant. I i... read more