Peace Lily
Spathiphyllum wallisii

Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Spathiphyllum (spath-ee-FIL-um) (Info)
Species: wallisii (wal-LIS-ee-eye) (Info)

Not Applicable

Partial to Full Shade

Flowers are good for cutting

Daphne, Alabama

Tampa, Florida

Weston, Florida

Winter Haven, Florida

Winter Park, Florida

Zephyrhills, Florida (2 reports)

Loganville, Georgia

Frederic, Wisconsin

Marinette, Wisconsin

Pulaski, Wisconsin

On Mar 28, 2012, eimajk1 from Burlington, IA wrote:

A "friend" of mine said that pulling the pistils off of the peace lily was great for the plant. After she did that, my peace lily that was in perfect health, and had been for 4 years, has almost died. Now she tells me that it wasn't the pulling of the pistils, but that the plant got frostbite. I've had the plant in the same location for the last 4 years and never had a problem. I still have minor growth, but I'm wondering if this plant can be saved? Also, has anyone else ever heard of pulling the pistils off?

On Dec 15, 2008, ronster1266 from Montrose, MI wrote:

My plant is about 2ft tall and is growing like a weed, i got it from my grandmother and it was in a small pot for maney years then it started fadeing and turning yellow so i put it in a larger pot. The faded leaves eventually died but were verry quickelly replaced by new growth. It seems to be dooing much better and I've even started new sprouts in a different pot.I live in michigan so i keep it insid during the winter, this useually makes it stop blooming but the folliage never stops.

On Aug 18, 2008, fudge from Gatlinburg, TN wrote:

I have peace lily and it stays in the full sun and I haven't had any problem like burning.I just keep the plant fulll of water and it was planted in manure,perlite,peat moss and potting soil I fertilize all my plants two times a month and they most of the time have 15 or more blooms at a time.I do bring them in during the winter the blooms slow down just alittle during the winter "but" I do keep the plants moist at all times.To all the plant lovers of this plant that gets burnt plants, try to move the plant into the sun alittle at a time and that might be the way to not burn your plant. This is a easy to grown plant as far as my luck has been. Good luck to all.

On Mar 31, 2008, merrytazgirl from Hastngs
New Zealand wrote:

Ive had my peace lilly for about 3 years now it used to flower until I repotted it. I put itinto a bigger pot now im not getting any flowers on it at all. Its in a filtered light and I water it when its droopy is that right. Please help me I love my peace lillys but what am I doing wrong

Jackie

On Feb 23, 2008, turgidcelery from Batavia, IL wrote:

We had great success with the Peace Lilly with nominal care. We lived in Indianapolis and had the plant inside under a window on the south side of the house. It literally went nuts. There was a proliferation of blossoms and we repotted it a few times. It started out from a little gift. Now, in a new house in Chicago, we're trying to re-create that experience, but this time with out access to a south side window. We have had a plant by a north side window for a couple years, and it's OK, but we haven't had the proliferation of blossoms.

On Nov 3, 2007, jdiaz from Chowchilla, CA wrote:

I bought several spaths at my local home depot for ONE cent each! They werent doing so great indoors so i was adventurous and planted them outdoors (im in zone 9b/10a in central CA). To my surprise, they grew well under an Australian tree fern and flowered during the summer months.Last January (2007) we experienced a severe freeze with temperatures dipping into the low 20s for a little over a week. I thought the spaths were surely dead, but to my surprise, they resprouted during the summer. Speak about a tough "houseplant"

On Oct 28, 2007, cosmiccat from Fullerton, CA wrote:

This plant is impressive in it's resilience.

I had gotten this plant as a gift about 7yrs ago. I didn't really know how to grow it and I thought it wasn't doing very well, so I stuck it outside in direct sunlight and burned the leaves badly. Those eventually died and the plant looked just sad. Then it just grew back. My husband called it the "miracle plant", as it survived one of my black thumb events.

I only just repotted it this past summer after it was sorely overdue. It's still thriving well and I even have a little off-shoot that I ended up planting in a smaller pot. It's doing very well, even after surviving an overwatering episode.

I haven't fertilized it once. After it got a bit healthy again after my unintentional multiple attemp... read more

On Jun 20, 2007, Katze from Minneapolis, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I received this plant as a gift over 4 years ago and it's definitely a tough plant. Mine has been frozen (left it outside when it frosted), chewed on by cats, and neglected, but it always comes back. It loves to be outside in the summer in a shady, protected spot.

About it being poisonous to cats - certain parts of this plant are poisonous, but from what I've been told, not all (I believe it's the flowers that are poisonous). None of our cats have been poisoned from chewing the foliage. (We recently bought a new baker's rack for our kitchen and the plant is on the top shelf, which is too high for our cats to get at.)

On Dec 26, 2006, Rainbowman18 from Weston, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

Woe be the south Florida gardener that tries to plant these in full sun. They will burn up like Dracula in daylight. I have the white Wallisii growing deep in my garden shade all year round. They never cease to amaze me with their constant barrage of white blooms and deep green foliage.

I also have the heart-shaped pink variety that have small petals and blooms. I forgot the variety or common name,
but I think it's the name of a woman....see specimen. I should buy some more of them and plant them in a shady spot next to my front door under a large stand of heliconia jacquinii where some aglaonemas are also protected and flourishing.

On Jun 15, 2005, jessmerritt from (Zone 7b) wrote:

I hate to give such a beautiful plant a negative, but there's a story behind it. I received one as a gift and thought it was gorgeous. It was low maintenance, can stand low light and still bloomed proficiently. Then one of my cats, despite the fact that i grow cat grass for them, chewed on some of the leaves and got very ill. The vet told me that peace lilies are toxic to cats and since it's a common house plant it wasn't the first time she had a customer come in with the problem that I had. Anyway, they're beautiful, but toxic to small critters. So if you have cats, becareful. By the way, does anyone want a new peace lily? It needs a new home.

On Apr 18, 2005, Breezymeadow from Culpeper, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

Although sometimes accused of being "boring" because of its constant appearance & claimed overuse in malls & offices, this plant surely is a boon to the plantlover who may not have the optimum bright light conditions to maintain other species, or who might want/need something that will survive in a dimmer room.

Also terrific for those who don't consider themselves as having "green thumbs", as it is nearly impossible to kill. While it does enjoy some light feeding, the most important requirement is moisture, as allowing it to dry out will cause it to wilt - although sometimes that's a good barometer for those of us who can sometimes be forgetful about watering. It quickly recovers once the oversight is corrected.

If given fairly bright light, this plant will ... read more

On Apr 17, 2005, charla from Imperial, MO wrote:

I received a peace lily plant from my grandfather's funeral this past January. It is quite large and no one else wanted it because of the space it takes up (approx 3 ft tall). I have two other small peace lilies and really enjoy the lush greenery all year round. When I brought the plants home, they were all blooming, but haven't bloomed since. Are there any hints to get them to bloom?

On Mar 11, 2004, ladyrowan from Garberville, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have two of them at work. One was recently re-potted into something bigger to encourage growth, and the other acts as the top of my Beta Vase. I knew that the lily would like being in a container of water, but I didn't realize just how happy it would be! My plant is growing in leaps and bounds, and the leaves are growing huge. I just hope it doesn't crowd my fish out of the base of the vase.

On Sep 28, 2003, broozersnooze from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

After reading these other entries I guess I should consider myself lucky(?) When I bought mine from the plant nursery they were labeled "perennial, spathiphyllum". Being a novice, I figured they were outside plants, planted them in containers & added them to my garden. They get half sun/half shade, were covered during the freeze, died back, came back & are currently blooming among many shade-loving plants.

Due to back problems, my plants do not get a lot of fuss. They get misted a.m./p.m., watered on days there is no rain, repotted annually, get any needed root divisions & fertilized with Osmocote (coated, granular fertilizer.) I use a mixture of 1/2 all purpose potting mix, 1/2 top soil, plus cow manure, perlite, peat moss, and Ironite (Iron chelate.)

On Sep 27, 2003, nckathy1950 wrote:

I have three of these plants, the first belonged to my grandmother, who gave it to my mother, and - when it got too big for mom - I got it. Grandmother had it over 20 years, mom had it for 10 or more and I have had it for about 18 years. One is huge (and now over 50 years old); the next one is not as big; I inherited it also. The last is in a hanging basket I purchased.

These are great plants to grow - I put all of mine outside in the spring and bring them back inside in fall before frost. They thrive; I feed all of my plants with Miracle-gro (water-soluble fertilizer) every few weeks.

On Sep 27, 2003, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

San Antonio, Tx.
My husband's peace lily (closet plant, white flag) was given to him when he was in the hospital 4 months ago. I had never realized how fast they grow until now. It has almost doubled in size. My mother was given an 8 inch tall one about the same time and it has grown rapdly also. The blooms are in proportion to the plant size. 'Sensation' can grow to six feet high and wide. They can tolerate being outside in filtered shade in warm weather and grow more rapidly under this condition. Requiring little care and little light, they are one of the most frequently used plants in the interiorscapes of office buildings.

Spathiphyllum will prosper in almost any well drained soil. Most producers use a mixture containing sand, peat moss and bark. Water weekly k... read more

On Sep 26, 2003, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I repotted this plant about a month ago and it has more than doubled in size. I can't wait for it to bloom this year. I have kept it on our screened in porch and the filtered sun has done the plant wonders. It gets about a half a day of dappled, filtred sunlight. I feed it with Peter's (water-soluble plant food) about once a month or so.

On Aug 13, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

Typical plant in tropical gardens, Peace Lily has large, shiny, dark green leaves that contrast with the white inflorescences. These are said to be scented, but I never sensed it from this species (others, though, have a rather strong perfume). It requires moist, well drained organic soil. Grows well on partial shade, but tolerates darker places. I have one in half shade, and my grandpa in full shade, and both are doing great. The sun light will burn the leaves. Great house plant if you can avoid air currents.