Siberian Tea, Winter-Blooming Bergenia
Bergenia crassifolia

Family: Saxifragaceae (saks-ih-frag-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Bergenia (ber-GEN-ee-a) (Info)
Species: crassifolia (krass-ih-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Saxifraga crassifolia
Synonym:Bergenia bifolia

Bronze-Green

Flowers are good for drying and preserving

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

Dallas, Oregon

Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania

negative

On Apr 7, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Grown at least as much for its large evergreen leaves as for its pink spring flowers. The foliage turns bronze/purple in the winter. I see it fairly often in gardens in eastern N. America, but I rarely see it living up to its potential.

I rarely see Bergenia in eastern N. America without lots of disfiguring notches in the edges of the leaves. I don't know if this damage is due to slugs or snails or black vine weevil, but it spoils the appearance of the planting.

This is grown for its evergreen foliage, but winter damage to the leaves is considerable in most winters, spoiling the appearance even as far south as Z7.

It is painfully slow growing here (Boston Z6a). I suspect it just does not like our climate.

On Oct 3, 2011, treehug from San Jose, CA wrote:

I love this plant. My mother in So. California gave me a few starts several years ago and I have it along my sunny driveway where it gets little water. I also have it in the shade of a red maple in the back garden, and along the lawn with morning sun. The snails hide in there but don't eat it. It is very versitile and I have given away numerous pieces. it is named for Mr. Bergen so is pronounced Ber-Gen-ia.

On Aug 31, 2010, suewylan from North Fork, CA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Here at 3000 feet, Bergenia does very well and has filled out from 5-6 plants, given to me by a neighbor, to a 5 by 15 ft area partly sunny area. They bloom in January, even in the snow! The rest of the time the foiliage looks well, especially with a fair amount of water. Winter lows are 20 dgrees and summers are hot, 100 for a few weeks.

On Aug 31, 2009, valleylynn from Dallas, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

This has been a very hardy perenial here in zone 8. Drought tolerant but does not seem to mind our wet NW winters. Leaves get bigger as the plant matures. Mine blooms Spring & Fall. Does not seem to be bothered by pests, including slugs.