PlantFiles: Indian Hawthorn, Yedda Hawthorne, Yeddo Hawthorn
Rhaphiolepis umbellata

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rhaphiolepis (raf-ee-oh-LEP-iss) (Info)
Species: umbellata (um-bell-AY-tuh) (Info)

Pale Pink

By Andrew60
Thumbnail #1 of Rhaphiolepis umbellata by Andrew60

By RonDEZone7a
Thumbnail #2 of Rhaphiolepis umbellata by RonDEZone7a

By RonDEZone7a
Thumbnail #3 of Rhaphiolepis umbellata by RonDEZone7a

Negative Lagoon_guy On Aug 13, 2013, Lagoon_guy from Titusville, FL wrote:

I have bad luck with this plant here in central florida, the deer destroy it , it doesnt seem to like part sun , grew in full sun and then was overwhelmed by the heat of August. Tomorrow I am pulling what is left of it out and will replant it in a spot I dont care about and forget about it.

Positive Southernbell421 On Mar 2, 2012, Southernbell421 from Ocala, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is a very nice shrub. It doesn't like the frosts my area is prone to get so I have to be careful. Mine is grown in sandy acidic soil with light shade and does well with light watering. I don't get alot of flowers but that's okay I still like it. A good shrub to have in any yard.

Neutral mersus On Apr 20, 2010, mersus from Avondale Estates, GA wrote:

Does anyone know where I can see a picture of a full-grown Rhaphiolepis um.'Regal Rose / Montic' Indian Hawthorn?

Positive texasflora_com On Mar 24, 2009, texasflora_com from De Leon, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Actually, the correct name is "India Hawthorne", not "Indian Hawthorne". It has been mispronounced so much in the last 20 years that the incorrect name has stuck. It might also be noted that in the severe Texas freezes of 1983 and 1989, these plants and waxleaf ligustrums were killed over most of the state, as was a lot of St. Augustine lawns and some old palm trees. Not to mention a lot of citrus.

Positive RonDEZone7a On Apr 18, 2008, RonDEZone7a from Wilmington, DE (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have been growing Indian Hawthornes in my northern Delaware garden (Zone 7a). There are not many of these growing this far north on the east coast. My plants burned a little after their first winter in the ground - but they stayed green after their second winter. So my guess is these plants may need a year or so to establish in marginal climates. Aside from the browned leaves after their first winter, my Indian Hawthornes have been otherise trouble-free and have done well along my sunny dryish south-facing foundation, as expected.

Positive PvillePlanter On Nov 8, 2004, PvillePlanter from Pflugerville, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I just love this shrub. Here they bloom quite early in the spring and the fragrance is delightful. I only wish they had a longer blooming period. But the evergreen leaves are quite attractive in themselves and it makes for a nice hedge or windbreak. They will grow quite tall and wide if not pruned (mine have gotten to about 15 feet and probably would have continued growing had I not pruned them back).

Birmingham, Alabama
Frisco City, Alabama
Chino Valley, Arizona
Wilmington, Delaware
Brooksville, Florida
Kissimmee, Florida
Ocala, Florida (2 reports)
Safety Harbor, Florida