PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Mr. Stripey'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Mr. Stripey

Thumbnail #5 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by geedavedee

Thumbnail #6 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by geedavedee

Thumbnail #7 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by geedavedee

Positive LowbridgeNC On Jul 6, 2014, LowbridgeNC from Forest City, NC wrote:

Mister Stripey is a favorite of ours every year here in the NC foothills; we plant them every spring, and even though they're usually one of the last to come around, once they do, they prove to be worth the wait. And once they get going, there are plenty of 'em. Beautiful color, good size, and great flavor.

Neutral nwh On Sep 8, 2012, nwh from Chicago, IL wrote:

I grew 15 different types of tomatoes this year, mostly heirlooms and I have to say Mr. Stripey was not one of the best. The fruit is VERY prone to cracking. To harvest them before they cracked I had to pick them when green. Otherwise the fruit would crack and rot on the vine within a day, or be eaten by bugs going in the cracks. I never saw anything like this with my other heirlooms. So that is a negative factor. On the positive side the fruit I did get was sweet tasted fairly good, and it's different from the average red tomato. And the vine is very vigorous and did produce a lot of fruit. However, the ants ate more than we did. I don't think I will plant this again.

Positive Kalissa On Aug 4, 2012, Kalissa from Halifax, PA wrote:

I'm from central PA. This year is my third attempt at growing a Mr. Stripey, purchased from greenhouses the 1st 2 times and WalMart this time. I have found that this plant prefers healthy, loamy, compost-y soil with daily waterings. I use raised garden boxes and the first 2 attempts were in a box that included some regular soil in the mix. The Stripeys got a nasty blight both years and withered and died even with regular watering. This year's box had an equal mix of one third each of humus, vermiculite and potting soil. Success!! My plant is within 2 weeks of first harvest and has a few curled leaves as is typical with this variety. It is over 7.5 feet tall so far!! know of others here that have grown it successfully- this is one tasty tomato! I look forward to having my own crop to make home canned salsa, sauce and chopped tomatoes for use til next summer. Mr. Stripey is a late, slow grower, taking up to 90 days to harvest. At last count, I had 60+ blossoms on the plant bottom to top, and more have come since last week. I have at least 30 tomatoes on the plant now, in various stages of development. It appears hardy and healthy- I have only dusted once with No Worries (insect powder made from chrysanthemum flowers) when the grasshoppers and japanese beetles arrived in June. There are no signs of aphids, or any sort of pest or disease. We have hot humid summers here and from what I have seen, this plant does well with the type of soil and watering pattern I have described above. I intend on saving a lot of seeds for seasons to come. You can purchase seeds for Mr. Stripey online at several websites, but it is a little hard to find around here unless you happen to luck into finding one. This plant takes patience and is going to be well worth it with the ton of tomatoes it looks like I'm going to get from it! :)

Neutral Cathar On Jun 26, 2012, Cathar from Socorro, NM wrote:

Positive: I liked the flavor. Very subtle and slightly tart. If you're looking for something other than super-sweet, acidic tomatoes this heirloom is a nice change of pace. Also liked the bright yellow interior and texture.

Negative: Low production for such a large plant. Fruit is very delicate as well and cracks easily.

Neutral pwilmarth On Jul 19, 2011, pwilmarth from Denver, CO wrote:

I'm growing about 30 different varieties of Tomatoes this year to discover my favorite. It is Mid-July and so far, this is the only plant in my garden to develop BER, and that includes other heirlooms, like Brandywine and Cherokee Purple - all growing under similar soil conditions, fertilizer and temperature. Just added bone meal to the soil, hope this will correct the problem before our growing season is over. It's been an unusual summer here, with lots of afternoon/evening rain, so I hope this calms down going into August/September.

Positive velvit138 On Mar 23, 2011, velvit138 from Waverly, TN wrote:

I grew this tomato when i lived in green bay. This was by far my favorite. huge fruit with great flavor. on one tomato, when i cut it open it had a what looked like a perfect skull and cross bones, how cool is that. The one down side is it seemed most of the tomatoes ripened just as the first frost started, it was a lot of covering and uncovering those huge plants to keep them safe. I have since moved to TN, and this is the first year i have found the plants here in town I am excited to see how they hold up here.

Positive Kentuckyboy On Mar 23, 2011, Kentuckyboy from Russell, KY wrote:

Ive been growing Mr. Stripeys for bout' 3 years now... Its a dang good mater. I have about 10 growing this year and about 30 others. For me its been a decent skin and a good sandwich making mater. There wont be a year were i don't grow them. However our Kentucky soil unlike all yall others, is much better i think.. we'll see this year if they do just as well.

Positive geedavedee On Aug 19, 2010, geedavedee from Batavia, NY wrote:

I bought this mr stripey from home depot on 5/30/10. I am going to harvest 4 Large tomatoes on 8/21/10. I will add pictures and a flavor review. This is the first time I have grown this and so far my lemon boys are doing great. I do have splits in my tomatoes from my watering pattern. I can post green pictures now.

Negative tsarina1 On Aug 9, 2010, tsarina1 from Hazel Green, WI wrote:

what a huge plant...... over 6 feet tall in july. lots of fruit but very tender skin....... hate the flavor ( none), very seedy and mushy...... yucky ! pulled out 4 plants today 8 feet tall and goodbye forever !

Positive maxanderma On May 14, 2010, maxanderma from Farmington, MI wrote:

Tried last year for 1st time, and it was one of, if not my top favorite. Big, meaty, beautiful, great for slicing.
Despite being a cool summer overall last year, and not great for tomatoes, Mr. Stripey performed well in SE Michigan. And I had 50 plants, and many many varieties to compare it to.
Hope to be able to find it again. Going on the hunt!

Neutral dlbailey On Feb 20, 2010, dlbailey from Central Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Mr. Stripey was a fairly good producer in my garden last year. Did slow down somewhat during the summer heat. Its taste was decent, but not fanastic. The plant was very large and sprawling with medium to small fruit.

Neutral jimh6278 On Nov 24, 2009, jimh6278 from Salt Lake City, UT wrote:

I grew the Bonnie variety for the past few years. I have always found the vine vigorous and a heavy producer of large bi-color tomatoes. They are really pretty but not very tasty. I found the Armenian to be as prolific, large but much better tasting. Mr. Stripey is OK but I will not grow again.

Positive Melissande On Oct 12, 2009, Melissande from Chillicothe, OH wrote:

I was disappointed only because it was not the kind of tomato I wanted. It was the only one I planted in my small space, and I wanted to make sauce, and the color was kinda creepy for that. However, you couldn't fault it for production of fruit. It was tasty, & struck me as low acid, mildish. There was something about the taste, different enough to classic tomato that I didn't replant, but it had huge, prolific fruit, the bush was rangy & gigantic, and I couldn't keep up with it. Tender skinned, easily split if you weren't a steady waterer, but a lovely slicing sandwich tomato.

Positive CoronaDoc On Sep 12, 2009, CoronaDoc from Cleveland, GA wrote:

Have grown this tomato for 3 years. Although it is a late variety the product is worth the wait. I always have positive comments when I share the tomatoes with others. I shared some plants from my saved seeds this year and those people reported great success. One person told me yesterday that it was their favorite of five heirloom varieties I have shared with them. It takes the Southern heat and humidity in stride. My tomatoes from this variety are 3-4+ inches across. Sorry that others haven't had the same success.

Negative lssfishhunter On Jan 21, 2009, lssfishhunter from Jonesville, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

The production of this variety is low. It bears interesting tomatoes and the taste is decent but not worth planting in my area.

Positive sgriffith On May 28, 2008, sgriffith from Beaver, WV (Zone 5b) wrote:

I am surprised with all the negative. I have had only positive experiences with this tomato. I love the flavor and have had success in fruit production from a couple plants each year. I raise my tomatoes in raised beds (not so successful) and 5 gal pots using Promix.

This tomato is generally not pretty, in that it is spotted with some rust and cracking - even in self-watering pots. But the flavor is awesome. It is in the running for my favorite - though I'd have a very hard time choosing just one as a favorite.

Negative jessums On Mar 19, 2008, jessums from Pittsburgh, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Attempted two years in a row, tomatoes are too fragile. The skin seems to get broken by almost anything resulting in mushy tomatoes. Taste was not up to par with other varieties. Will not plant again.

Negative davedigsdirt On Aug 14, 2007, davedigsdirt from Yellville, AR wrote:

Enjoyed Tigerella so thought I would try this larger cousin but after 2 seasons I will scratch this one off my list as "not worth the space". Late and low quality production, blight prone, and while pretty, the taste isn't worth waiting for. There are much better bi-colors available.

Positive KAZVorpal On Aug 7, 2007, KAZVorpal from Brighton, IL wrote:

Last year, this was among the best-tasting of the cultivars I grew. It produced large (over one pound) beefsteak-style tomatoes, on a very typical-looking vine.

The real Mister Stripey is yellow with vague red stripes. The Bonnie Plants version is sold with a ridiculously computer-altered picture of the fruit with obvious red lightning bolts going down the side...don't be disappointed that the real thing is more subtle.

Also note, as has been said already, that the Tigerella cultivar, a small (4 oz) globe tomato that's red with yellow stripes, is sometimes errantly called Mister Stripey. Tigerella produces a decent amount of fruit, of perhaps average flavor.

Positive farmerbrown55 On Jun 20, 2007, farmerbrown55 from Paramount, CA wrote:

At first i thought my stripey was going to let me down. All my other tomatoes were doing great but the flowers were just drying up and falling off of mr stripey. Don't give up on your plant too early. Mister stripey finally started produceing and hasn't quit yet. Great tomato.

Neutral ecoberryfarm On Aug 21, 2006, ecoberryfarm from Happy Bottom, VA (Zone 7b) wrote:

hey now,

We got a late start on the garden this year so we were forced to go the Lowe's route.We picked up a pair of these plants among a few others. Planted in early May these plants are just now(mid- August) starting to decently produce. Needless to say that are very slow to fruit. Not sure if this is a growing enviroment issue or just the plants.Most of the early fruit never developed "stripes" but maintained a bright orange color. This may be the issue with some folks looking for stripes and waiting too long to pick, thus leading to rotting and/or unusable fruit. . Skins are on the softside but I've experienced no real cracking concern. Flavor of the fruit is very very fruity. Almost citrus or orange tasting.Plants are also starting to show a bit of blight. Not a real impressive grower but the unique tasting fruit will make me give this one another shot.

Positive Ozark On Aug 10, 2006, Ozark from Ozark, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

I'm growing a Mr. Stripey plant for the first time this year, and all season (until now) I've thought that I WOULDN'T plant that variety again. Now I've changed my mind.

The plant is very ungainly, with small curled up leaves that looks as if it has aphids or needs water. It's real indeterminate, rangy, and needs a lot of tying up (I have it on a wire fence). It's the tallest tomato plant in my garden, about 7' high.

It's a very late variety, I've had only 3 ripe tomatoes 90 days after transplanting - one of them weighed 3 lbs. The tomatoes are huge and misshapen, thin-skinned, and tend to crack. BUT the plant is now, finally, loaded with green tomatoes in late summer.

And the flavor of the ripe ones is incredible. These are really, really good, and for that reason alone I'll plant a Mr. Stripey in my garden again next year.

Positive Tplant On May 21, 2005, Tplant from Pembroke Pines, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

I bought my Mr. Stripey from Lowes and it was raised by Bonnie Plants. A very prolific plant with delicious beefsteaks. Loved the color and the stripes. The taste was sweet and juicy with very thin skin. A winner in my garden.

Positive kerry_in_ky On Mar 29, 2005, kerry_in_ky from Dry Ridge, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

I was very surprised to see the negative comments on this one. Mr. Stripey is one of my favorites for flavor. Normally I do not like a sweet tomato but this one is great. I did have one year where there were few fruit but I always attributed it to the weather that year. The only negative things I can say about them are they bruise easily due to their thin skin and they are prone to the blight that we get here in Kentucky.

Negative frogsrus On Sep 4, 2004, frogsrus from San Diego, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

This plant was a poor producer for me. It was mushy did not have a great flavor.

Negative Farmerdill On Oct 23, 2003, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have grown the large open pollinated bi-color beefsteak widely disributed by Bonnie Plant Farm in the southeast. The vine is relatively rigorous. It will grow and set fruit in this climate although the yeilds are minimal. The fruit has very thin skin and cracks excessively. It also tends to misshapen fruit which combined with thin skin allows it to be attacked by numerous pests. The flesh is very soft, so that if one succeeds in getting a usable ripe tomato and waits until the next day to eat it, it will be mush. Friends tell that it does better in a cooler climate.

Negative DaylilySLP On Sep 14, 2003, DaylilySLP from Dearborn Heights, MI (Zone 6a) wrote:

I picked up the hybrid, I think. I have one plant that has huge, beefsteaks on it. The other has medium sized fruit...but I have gotten 5 tomatoes off this one. They are not fit to eat. They are soft, but not over ripe. They are yellow and pink. I cut them in half to see why and they are 90% seeds and gel!
Must be the plant, not the growing conditions. The plant with the meaty befsteaks is right next to it.
Going to try the beefsteak type today. They seem firm, but very mottled, not really striped.

Neutral FCivish On Aug 16, 2003, FCivish from South Jordan, UT wrote:

This is 'Mr. Stripey', the large, bi-color (yellow/red), lobed, beefsteak tomato. It is sometimes confused with a smaller tomato that is generally called 'Tigerella', but sometimes also called 'Mr. Stripey'. The other (Tigerella) tomato is round, quite small in size, and has a tangy flavor ( http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/54808 )

This tomato is generally very large with prominent lobes and has a much milder flavor than 'Tigerella'.

If you purchased your 'Mr. Stripey' from a nursery or from seed, this beefsteak tomato is probably what you have.

Wetumpka, Alabama
Vinton, Ohio
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Tygh Valley, Oregon
Halifax, Pennsylvania
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (2 reports)
Sioux Falls, South Dakota