Mango
Mangifera indica 'Julie'

Family: Anacardiaceae (an-a-kard-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Mangifera (man-GEF-er-uh) (Info)
Species: indica (IN-dih-kuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Julie

8.6 to 9.0 (strongly alkaline)

Merritt Island, Florida

West Palm Beach, Florida

Mililani, Hawaii

Village Park, Hawaii

Elmwood Park, Illinois

positive

On Sep 12, 2005, alohabc from Mililani, HI wrote:

I am growing "Julie" in central Oahu, Hawaii. The nursery tag said it was a dwarf variety, but it does have a wide spread. Our landscaper laughed when a single mango showed up within the first year of planting a 3' tree. Eight years later, my 12' high x 15' wide tree is covered with fruit. They are starting to ripen now in September (ripening is staggered over a three month period) and don't seem to be ripe until they've just fallen to the ground. So my dog and I go mango hunting in the grass every morning before the birds spot them. Yes, the fruit is fiberous, but sweet and creamier than any other variety I've had. Best eaten fresh.

On Aug 17, 2003, Thaumaturgist from Rockledge, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

The darling of the Caribbean, originally known as the St. Julie Mango, now is known simply as Julie.
It is by far the most popular Mango in Jamaica and a very popular one in the Caribbean countries.

Julie is characterized by its relatively small size, somewhat flattened shape and some purple like color in the skin when ripe. Julie’s drawback of a short shelf life and good amount of fiber content is compensated for by its, very sweet and juicy flesh, and its wonderful flavor.