Japanese Windflower, Japanese Anemone, Japanese Thimbleflower

Anemone hupehensis var. japonica

Family: Ranunculaceae (ra-nun-kew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Anemone (uh-NEM-oh-nee) (Info)
Species: hupehensis var. japonica

Flowers are good for cutting

Pale Pink

Pale Yellow

Medium Blue

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

Wear gloves to protect hands when handling seeds

Fremont, California

North Plains, Oregon

Springfield, Virginia

Cathan, Washington

On Oct 25, 2010, soldiersong from North Plains, OR (Zone 8a) wrote:

Lovely easy care perennial, however, it does spread. My first weeding of the shade garden each spring involves a lot of pulling of volunteers. Happily many people want these, so I pot them up for our local garden club plant sale. In this area, I am confident that, unchecked this plant would take over a large area. Easy to remove volunteers, though, and worth it for the graceful, lovely flowers from fall into winter.

On May 24, 2009, anelson77 from Seattle, WA wrote:

This plant is valuable because it provides a lot of showy, pretty flowers in late summer, in the shade, even dry shade. Therefore I tolerate its invasive ways. It takes a fair amount of persistence to keep it under control, and I can only grow it with other vigorous plants, but on the plus side it quickly fills in any gaps that develop.

On Dec 29, 2006, marsviolet from Stockholm
Sweden wrote:

If this plant is sheltered sufficiently from strong winds it will maintain its interesting seedheads all winter.

On Apr 4, 2005, sterhill from Atlanta, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Atlanta - lovely plant blooms late summer when everything else is looking tired - I use hoops to support the flowers - some spikes reach over 4' tall!

I find this plant invasive as it spreads by underground runners. I let a couple of colonies bush out and ruthlessly hunt down the new ones. Because this plant is so lovely - has beautiful foliage also - I am willing to do the work of pulling out the babies. But be aware!

Mine are in mostly sun with late afternoon shade.

On Apr 3, 2005, SalmonMe from Springboro, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Wet conditions in winter can rot plant, well-draining soil is key. Spring plant, fall transplanting can kill the plant. Susceptible to damage from both Japanese and Black Blister beetles. An established plant can be very long-lived, but losses often occur in young plantings.

On Aug 22, 2004, Dea from Frederick, MD (Zone 6a) wrote:

Dark purple/black stems and non-stop bloomer from late August through September. Very tidy and non-demanding perennial.

Ours is in full sun, so the pink color may be darker if in the recommended partial shade.

On Jun 29, 2004, Glenheadland from Wokingham
United Kingdom wrote:

A real beaut! Likes free draining soil and lots of organic matter. Mulch generously to preserve moisture and maintain cool root system.