Radicalis Palm

Chamaedorea radicalis

Family: Arecaceae (ar-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Chamaedorea (kam-ee-DOR-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: radicalis (rad-ih-KAY-lis) (Info)
Synonym:Chamaedorea pringlei

Ladys Island, South Carolina

Summerville, South Carolina

Canyon Lake, Texas

On Aug 16, 2015, sashaeffer from Omaha, NE wrote:

Palm collector here in a 5b/6a climate so most of my collection is in pots. Have both species of this Chamaedorea. The trunking form indoors by a North facing window so never gets direct light. Very fast growing palm, one of the fastest I have. Just acquired a non trunking form this summer that is seeding, so hope seeds viable. The non trunking form is outside and in full sun and doesn't seem to mind at all. It will over Winter in garage with other colder hardy potted palms I have. Wish I had bought more than one now.

Scott/Omaha, NE

On Apr 4, 2013, saltcedar from Austin, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Though this plant is cold hardy enough for most
Zone 8 Winters what no one mentions it they are
fairly delicate. No heavy snow, No strong wind gust,
No hail and avoid afternoon sun or they look
terrible for the many months it takes to recover.

On Sep 8, 2012, Dave_in_Devon from Torquay
United Kingdom (Zone 9b) wrote:

Probably the most cold tolerant of all Chamaedoreas and certainly hardy enough for even many UK gardens especially in the south. In cooler climates growth is slow, but in time plants develop into handsome specimens and they are inexpensive enough to plant in clumps, which create a bold effect sooner. It would seem that the trunking form is less cold tolerant - probably due to the meristem rising above soil level as the trunk develops and therefore beyond the insulating properties of the soil.. I have several plants all of which flower at slightly different times, but two consistently set viable seed, which suggests that some plants at least are monoecious.

On Mar 29, 2012, longjonsilverz from Centreville, MD wrote:

***UPDATE (Fall 2015)

I have experimented with this palm for a few years here in Eastern Maryland (zone 7). The last 2 winters were some of the coldest on record with temperatures near 0F on many consecutive nights and windchills around -30F. In 2014 I protected with a cardboard cylinder, but in 2015 (which was colder) I only piled up some mulch around each of my small palms with the tops exposed and to my surprise, I have never lost one. Even after losing the spears in back to back years, my palms recovered and still live on. Because they can have multiple trunks, there is usually a few below the mulch line that survive the worst winters. I lost ALL 22 of my windmill palms during the last 2 winters so having a few Radicalis palms out-survive them was a huge surprise.... read more

On Apr 21, 2011, TropicalPatty from Canyon Lake, TX wrote:

The Radicalis Palm is an outstanding little palm that endures the Texas heat, drought, and winter freezes to 15 degrees without any protection. I have mine planted under my Live Oak Trees where they seem very happy. This plant is under utilized in tropical landscapes.

On Nov 12, 2009, stephenp from Wirral, UK, Zone 9a
United Kingdom (Zone 9a) wrote:

In my opinion one of the most undergrown palms around considering it's hardiness and ability to withstand eveything that is thrown at it.

This tropical looking palm is growing perfectly happy in UK, and generally this is the reported case in most low lying parts of the country - reportedly hardy to about -10C, even with snow cover in some colder parts of the country.

They are quite slow growing however, but with a palm as good looking as this one, it's not such a disability.

On Apr 2, 2007, NorCalBrad from Berkeley, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

My radicalis, both trunkless and trunking, sailed through Northern California's '07 winter freeze as if nothing had happened. For such tropical-looking palms, they are admirably cold tolerant. Their only drawback is their excruciatingly slow growth.

On Aug 28, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

I grew the trunkless type in St. Petersburg, Florida, zone 9b, for years. The seeds can take up to a year to germinate. Mine grew considerably taller than the one pictured, perhaps to eight feet tall.

My plant was sheltered by the house and a huge punk tree, now an invasive, banned tree in Florida, but this tree was planted in the 1950's and was really quite attractive, with shredding white bark. The green palm-like leaves of my Chamaedorea were really quite distinctive against the light colored bark of the tree and the white painted cedar shingles of the house. Kind of a slow grower and pricey in the nursery trade, but worth growing for it's tropical feel. Survived 18F degrees, tornados, hail, hurricane winds, and flooding, but being in a protected spot and in a rais... read more

On Aug 17, 2003, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

One of the more common Chamaedoreas, and one of the two most cold hardy (can survive temps down to 20F). This Chamaedorea also does well in full sun, an unusual trait for members of this genus. This palm also has two distinct varieties: a trunkless form in which the flowers shoot straight out of the ground on long stalks, and a tree form in which a bamboo-like stem is formed. This is a non-clumping species with dark, attractive, blue-green leaves with a tough, leathery texture. They are also one of the few monoecious-acting- Chamaedoreas, sometimes producing viable seed on a single plant. Though actually dioecious, this happens sometimes and not sure how if truly dioecious...