Plectranthus
Plectranthus 'Mona Lavender'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Plectranthus (plek-TRAN-thus) (Info)
Cultivar: Mona Lavender
Additional cultivar information:(PP13858; aka Plepalila)
Hybridized by Jaques

Lodi, California

Los Angeles, California

Madera, California

Palm Springs, California

San Jose, California (2 reports)

Stockton, California (2 reports)

Tarzana, California

Cocoa Beach, Florida

Daytona Beach, Florida

Deland, Florida

Fernandina Beach, Florida

Fort Lauderdale, Florida (2 reports)

Fort Myers, Florida

Gainesville, Florida

Gulf Breeze, Florida (2 reports)

Inverness, Florida

Jacksonville, Florida (3 reports)

Jacksonville Beach, Florida

Jupiter, Florida

Lake City, Florida

Largo, Florida

Middleburg, Florida

Milton, Florida

Neptune Beach, Florida

Ocala, Florida

Oldsmar, Florida (2 reports)

Oviedo, Florida

Palm Coast, Florida

Pompano Beach, Florida (2 reports)

Port Charlotte, Florida

Ladys Island, South Carolina

North Augusta, South Carolina

Greeneville, Tennessee

Lookout Mountain, Tennessee

Austin, Texas (2 reports)

Blanket, Texas

Boerne, Texas

Carrollton, Texas

Cleburne, Texas

Corpus Christi, Texas (2 reports)

Dayton, Texas

Desoto, Texas

Egypt, Texas

Kyle, Texas

Marquez, Texas

Nederland, Texas

Pleasanton, Texas

Port Lavaca, Texas

San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)

Willis, Texas

Wylie, Texas

Lynchburg, Virginia

Fairmont, West Virginia

negative

On May 2, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

We've used 'Mona Lavender' as annual/bedding plants on several properties here in Z6a, and have been very happy with the results.

We use regular irrigation and plant them where there's some protection from hot afternoon sun---in full sun, the leaves tend to get a little yellow bleaching/discoloration. In shade, the foliage is a beautiful dark purple-green even on top. The flowers increase through the season, becoming very showy from August till October. Blooms well even in fairly heavy shade.

It gets about 18" tall and wide in the course of a season.

This is also good for outdoor containers.

On Mar 15, 2013, margretmh from Greeneville, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

I live in zone 6b-7a (Greeneville, TN). Bought a nice pot, at a discounted price, when it wasn't in bloom. Kept it outdoors until cold weather and then in the greenhouse which is kept just above freezing. It is now (March 2013) blooming again. Leaves are a very dark rich green. Appears to be healthy and happy, although I plan to unpot it long enough to check roots soon and determine whether a larger pot is needed. I've submitted a picture but it's not been posted on this site yet.
As I write this, my contractor is adding a sunroom to our house. Next winter I may be able to keep the Plethranthus there rather than in the greenhouse.

On Nov 3, 2012, Mr_Cracker from Lawrenceville, GA wrote:

Have had good luck with this in a hanging pot on a western patio, I intend to try some stem cuttings this fall; really like this plant.

On Nov 27, 2011, Jandot from Wylie, TX wrote:

I love this plant and have had one or two in patio pots the past two years. The purple flowers are beautiful. But I brought mine inside about a month ago before the weather turned cold and put it in an east-facing window so it gets morning sun. But the flowers have turned almost white even though it is still blooming. Does it need fertilizer? Is it getting too much sun? Any suggestions?

On Oct 18, 2011, iPond from Salt Lake City, UT (Zone 6b) wrote:

I bought this plant about the middle of summer, at a Salt Lake Lowe's when it had a few blooms on it, took it home and have enjoyed it ever since. I kept it in a pot as I figured it would never overwinter in SLC. Started out in full sun, but when it began to shrivel, I moved it to a shadier spot (dappled with some direct PM light) and it was much happier.

Compared to the other plants in the garden, it seemed to be a bit on the thirsty side during the hotter months - Jul-Sep - almost a gallon every 1 or 2 days. Maybe the low RH around here..? Not too many flowers until the temp hit low 80's, then it positively exploded with blooms (even my husband noticed!).

If this plant doesn't make it through the winter (in my living room) I will look for it again ne... read more

On Aug 30, 2011, cps from Hamden, CT wrote:

Bought last fall at HomeDepot and kept in solarium all winter, south facing. It stopped blooming mid winter when snow outside was heavy and temp in solarium got to 32 at night. Some died and cut it way back.
. In spring planted in total shade and it took a long time for any new leaves to show. Transplanted late July to some shade but morning sun and it has started blooming well. Will try cuttings soon and depending how they do will plant them in solarium this winter; may dig up original and bring it in as well.

On May 28, 2011, Bazuhi from Downers Grove, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I had gotten this plant from the local Home Depot in 2009, they were real popular and selling from 2008 to 2010 but so far this year 2011 I have not seen any. I did keep this plant in a pot as it is treated as in annual in my area, the first year I had it in the shade with some dappled sun but not much. The leaves were more towards the green side and the blooming was on the thin side. I brought the plant inside over the winter and come spring it went back out in a larger pot for 2010. This time it was placed in full sun in a huge pot and I tell ya this thing took off!! It was 3ft tall, the leaves were a dark purple and looked like a bush with blooms all over and it did bloom pretty much the whole summer. Since I have broken branches off here and there I rooted them which was really easy..d... read more

On Feb 17, 2011, jardinophile from Mount Dora, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I planted a swath of these in dappled shade. At first they seemed to be doing well. Now, after about a month, the blooms are dropping off. I deadheaded today and discovered my fingers became black and sticky. One of the plants had small balls of a white fluff on it that reminded me of a spider's silk. What's happening! Any help??

On Aug 30, 2010, nannygardener from Corpus Christi, TX wrote:

I planted 3 in October (Corpus Christi, Tx). Partial shade with more sun on plant in late afternoon. One by one they have died. Sections of the top of the stems begins to wilt and die, then it dies to the bottom of the stem. Leaves become sparse on other stems. Found white mealy bug on it. Sprayed with organic product, continued to die. Sprayed with systemic product, continued to die. Treated with a hormone product, slight help on one last plant. Advised by one man to test soil and add soil activator, as the soil may be sterile. Help. What am I doing wrong? The plant is so beautiful! I want to grow it successfully. I'm a new gardner and am frustrated at the number of plants I've lost.

On May 16, 2009, mjsponies from DeLand/Deleon Springs, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

Lovely plant, charming flowers, SUPER easy from cuttings.

On Mar 29, 2009, JuneyBug from Dover AFB, DE (Zone 7a) wrote:

Grows well and blooms beautifully. Does not self seed so I take cuttings in the fall and they bloom all winter long. Seems to quit blooming in the hottest parts of the year, but the plant itself with the purple and green looks great anyway.

On Sep 25, 2008, kdaustin from Austin, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I would agree with Stuber that daylength may have an effect on bloom as mine too slow their roll in the summer, no matter where I move them or how I fertilize them. Nonetheless they rate a big positive from me because they are so lovely, I've been buying them every spring for the past five years. Trim them heavily when planting for the thickest possible plants and loads of blooms down the road.

On Jun 6, 2008, renatelynne from Boerne new zone 30, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Love the plant and the color. Only problem is that it dies back in cold winters and doesn't come back. Otherwise it was great. In my area has to have shade for most of the day.

On Apr 28, 2007, jnn from Chapel Hill, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

While we have to grow this plant as an annual in North Carolina, it is such a great asset to the garden. The plant gives out luscious purple blooms all season long and has purply-green foliage. It is a great plant!

On Jan 21, 2007, loveshercowdog from Arlington, TX wrote:

I bought 2 in August. I left them in 6 inch plastic pots in part sun. They would burn when left in too much sun so they are tender. I brought them in the house before the first frost.

I neglected them and some foliage dried up, but quickly made a come back.

The surprise....there are black round poppy-like seeds everywhere. I know the brugs and the pink plume plant they share the room with didn't drop them.

These little beauties must literally send them out...so many could not have rolled several feet away.

I've swept them up to sow in a morning sun area this spring.
cynthia

On Jul 5, 2006, crowellli from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have had this in the ground in a sunny bed for two years in Houston and it has survived drought, floods and neglect with no problems. It is a prolific bloomer and thrives in our high heat and humidity. I would highly recommend giving this one a try.

On Jun 23, 2006, julialou from Egypt, TX wrote:

I really love this plant. I have great success growing it and get many compliments. I have taken numerous cuttings to transplant and it roots very readily. makes nice gifts. I will take some to the garden club that I belong to ., Ver;y easy to grow.
I am about 80 miles from Houston, Texas (south)

On Aug 3, 2005, Stuber from Fernandina Beach, FL wrote:

I have read (and personally found) this plant to be sensitive to the length of day in regards to blooming. Mine bloom best in the spring/early summer, then slowly stop blooming through the longer summer days, only to add a fresh flush of blooms again in the fall. It makes a terrific potted specimen plant on a patio or near an entrance way and rarely fails to draw comments. Plants maintained in some shadier conditions seem to retain their blooms a bit more through the summer. I can't recommend this plant enough, and even if you can't nurse it through a winter, new specimens each spring are now becomming relatively inexpensive and well worth every penny.

On Mar 16, 2005, Toxicodendron from Piedmont, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

I grew my plants from cuttings received last March and they bloomed from July until heavy frost (November). I took cuttings in September and those are now blooming in an East-facing window, and in my greenhouse. From my limited observations, I think that blooms occur on ripened new growth. Day length does not seem to be a factor.
My plants had so many blooms last fall that I picked some for a bouquet. They rooted in water and bloomed for a long time. I finally potted them up and they have done just as well as the cuttings I rooted in soil under plastic.
I intend to plant some with my hostas and ferns this year.

On Oct 6, 2004, plantaholic2 from N Middlesex County, MA (Zone 5a) wrote:

iI am pretty sure this is the plant I have. It was in bloom when I bought it (early spring) and looks just like the pictures and the habit is the same as described. However, after its first bloom cycle, I could not get it to rebloom again. It was in morning sun, slightly potbound, and well watered and fertilized. It has come in the house now for the winter. I am still hoping I can get it to rebloom. At least the foliage is attractive and the pest free.

On Aug 10, 2004, EMILYRUTH from Pickens, SC wrote:

GROWS WELL IN SOUTH CAROLINA(U.S.) IS EASILY ROOTED BY CUTTING AND STICKING INTO SOIL- VERY EASY!GROWS GREAT IN FULL SUN OR PART SHADE.DON`T KNOW ABOUT WINTER YET.I`M GOING TO TRY HEAVILY MULCHING -LET YOU KNOW NEXT SPRING.

On Nov 12, 2003, dogbane from New Orleans, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

One of the VERY few plants that I have ever grown to bloom well in heavy shade.

On Nov 12, 2003, pippie from Anderson, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I love this plant. I had no idea what it was when I bought it off the clearance rack with no tag. It grows beautifully in Upstate South Carolina.

On Nov 10, 2003, Happenstance from Northern California, CA wrote:

Superb foliage with burgandy underside and stems, lovely very detailed lavendar flowers.

On Aug 18, 2003, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Some sources state that 'Mona Lavender' originated at the National Botanical Institute in South Africa and others note it was bred at the famous Kirstenbosh Botanical Garden in Capetown. This is a relatively new form of Plectranthus that does not spread or become invasive and has more woody mature stems which form a small low shrub (mine are 2 feet tall and wide). It exhibits an upright, erect habit and grows rapidly. Numerous lavendar colored 6-inch long spiked flowers begin to appear from late summer through autumn. They are stunning, orchid-like and last a long time. Deadhead old flower heads as the blooms fade.

The dark, deep green, 2 inches long and 1 inch wide leaves have dark, wine purple veins and undersides and are slightly curled at the edges with short coarse tee... read more