Walking Iris

Neomarica candida

Family: Iridaceae (eye-rid-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Neomarica (nee-oh-mar-EE-kuh) (Info)
Species: candida (KAN-did-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Marica candida

Pale Yellow

By stooling or mound layering

Lompoc, California

Apopka, Florida

Ocala, Florida (2 reports)

Tampa, Florida

Hockley, Texas

Rosenberg, Texas

On Apr 8, 2004, Mouldyfingers from Doncaster
United Kingdom wrote:

Did you know, that as the plant ages, (Candida) if left alone, you start to get , 2 flowers or 3 flowers opening on the same brackish, at the same time. I have one 10yr old plant , that had 4 flowers all open at the same time, all on 1 stem, ( i missed that photo,, doh). Spray feed,, tomato feed ,, for better flowers. Does not like mains tap water.. any help i can give?,,,or do you know more about this plant, tell me. ok

On Nov 10, 2003, City_Sylvia from Dallas, TX wrote:

I had a very good expierence with this wonderful plant. I bought it at a garden show, having never seen it before. The plant grew huge outside. The strappy leaves were long and awsome and it grew these shoots of Orchid-looking flowers. When the flowers died, it left so many shoots with what appeared to be roots. I started cutting them off and rooting them. I had so many plants I started giving them as gifts.

On Nov 9, 2003, dogbane from New Orleans, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

An excellent plant for shady gardens. Mine have overwintered in the ground when temperatures dippied just below freezing and suffered little more than tip burns. They don't mind a bit of neglect either, and withstand drought for at least a couple of weeks (in full shade) with no obvious ill effects. They do become yellowed in the hot sun.

On Aug 20, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

I got this plant originally confined in a vase. It started blooming, and some time later, new plants were formed on the tip of the inflorescence. That was the beggining. Now, every year I have so many new plants that I don't know what to do with them! And if I miss an inflorescence, I'm at risk of having it invading other vases. Nothing that can't be controlled, though.

It has bright green, shiny, soft leaves. A leaf-like inflorescence comes from the base in early spring (although it's still winter, and I've seen some flowering walking irises). The flowers come one by one, and last one day. There's glandulous hairs on the sepals that produce nectar, and the color (white sepals, and a scramble of blue, white, yellow and brow spots and stripes in the middle) atracts bees. The ... read more