PlantFiles: Fan Flower, Fan Flower
Scaevola aemula 'New Wonder'

Family: Goodeniaceae
Genus: Scaevola (skee-VO-luh) (Info)
Species: aemula (EM-yoo-luh) (Info)
Cultivar: New Wonder
Additional cultivar information: (PP10584, aka Newon, Newton)
Hybridized by Grueber; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1996

By Kell
Thumbnail #7 of Scaevola aemula by Kell

Positive Locket On Oct 8, 2012, Locket from Esbjerg
Denmark wrote:

I first bought this plant at a local supermarket 2 years ago,in Denmark, and it has done so well,that I bought it again this year, so many neighbours and passerbys have commented on my window box display, I will definately grow it again if I see it next year for sale. We are now 8th. Oct,2012 and it is still giving a magnificent display. I have not tried to overwinter it or take any cuttings, as I do not have the space to do so. I just hope I find it again next year!! Does not need any pther plants, as it looks wonderful alone.

Positive birder17 On Feb 23, 2009, birder17 from Jackson, MO (Zone 6b) wrote:

I grow this plant every summer in urns. The urns are about 20" across and I plant three to each urn (2). It's in full sun. It needs to be kept watered for flowers. In August, it gets pretty dismal. It's very showy and an easy container plant. The stems hang down about 18" and has the blue flowers up and down the stem. We have humid, hot summers, 95* or so.

Positive darylmitchell On May 5, 2008, darylmitchell from Saskatoon, SK (Zone 3a) wrote:

I had great success growing this in a container in the summer of 2007. The blue fan-shaped flowers emerged in early summer and continued into the fall. It was easy to take care of, and I will definitely grow it again in the future.

Positive achoogardner On May 11, 2005, achoogardner from Red Oak, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I just recently bought 2 of these beautiful plants. I have them in containers and in the month I have had them they are already growing and flowering abundantly! I love the interest they add to the potting arrangement.

Positive twickre On Jul 21, 2004, twickre from Castle Rock, CO wrote:

We are growing this in Castle Rock, Colorado. It is very lush, but we find it needs more water here in a higher, dryer altitude. I seems to slow down in flower production in late July, but we'll see if it picks up. It gets more morning sun than afternoon, and we turn it from time to time so both sides get sun. We understand that it is a very popular hanging flower in Vail, Colorado (in the mountains) as well.

Positive hanna1 On Jul 7, 2004, hanna1 from Castro Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

i bought them this year, i liked it so much, had one, bought 2 more, high-nitrogen fertilizer, in rich, well drained potting soil. they're in my raised flower garden. hardy to 30degreesF

Positive mom839098 On May 7, 2004, mom839098 from New Smyrna Beach, FL wrote:

This plant is WONDERful! I live on the east coast of Florida and have salt water intrusion in the well water coming through our sprinkler system. In addition to the salt water intrusion, our "soil" is Florida sand. I love flowers, but can't grow the typical annuals. Each year I pick one or two new plants to test in our yard.

This plant has bloomed continuously, (spring, summer, autumn, winter, and is starting its second season in our yard! I'll be planting the whole flower bed this week in Blue Fan Flower (New Wonder). It is drought tolerant, stormy season tolerant, highly salt tolerant, and doesn't seem to fuss about the type of soil its in!

Positive htop On Aug 22, 2003, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

San Antonio, TX
An annual that thrives in full sun, it is heat loving and covers itself with a profusion of fan-shaped lavender flowers. It blooms from spring until frost. I have not planted it in the ground, but have it growing in containers and hanging baskets. It reaches its peak performance when it gets really hot. I water it only when it starts to wilt slightly. DO NOT over water because it starts to decline. It attracts butterfies, bees and hummingbirds. A very successful, beautiful and showy plant - I plant this cultivar every year. It is much more successful in my area than the other varieties that are on the market that have less heat tolerance.

Texas A&M states the following:
"Don't plant in poorly aerated soils, instead grow in large container (filled with well aerated potting mix) as accent for a sunny patio." It has been designated a Texas SuperStar by the Texas A&M CEMAP promotion.

Anniston, Alabama