PlantFiles: White-Edged Swedish Ivy, Tropical Mint, Candlestick Vine, Ornamental Coleus
Plectranthus coleoides 'Marginatus'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Plectranthus (plek-TRAN-thus) (Info)
Species: coleoides (ko-lee-OY-deez) (Info)
Cultivar: Marginatus

Violet/Lavender
Inconspicuous/none

Variegated
Aromatic
Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

Provides winter interest

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

Thumbnail #1 of Plectranthus coleoides by Happenstance

Thumbnail #6 of Plectranthus coleoides by Clare_CA

By plantladylin
Thumbnail #7 of Plectranthus coleoides by plantladylin

Positive Popsskull On Sep 13, 2013, Popsskull from Morristown, TN wrote:

OK I bought this plant for my wife for mother's day this year. I had to re-pot it shortly after buying it due to root bound in pot. I separated it in to cocoa fiber pots that hang and used regular potting soil. For 3 weeks I watered them with miracle grow once a week to help them adjust to new pots. I water these plants daily as I have found they thrive this way. I have read some of the blogs on this plant and seems there is a problem getting them to bloom. I however do not have that problem. These plant grow at an exceptional rate and have blooms of 3 to 5 inch long shoots all over them. These little white flowers have made these ivy a show piece in my patio garden. They receive 2 hours of direct sunlight each day with the rest being filtered light. I have left them outside the entire time since May and plan to bring them in the first week of October. I hope others enjoy this plant as well for they grow to be large and beautiful and are easy to care for.

Positive BUFFY690 On Jul 14, 2013, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Love this plant, the green herby smell keeps critters off, I plan to trial it as a border plant to repel deer, cats and rabbits in 2014.
Super easy care, mine got knocked back to the ground in our unusual late spring freeze, but it came back like a champ.
Easy to propagate, easy to grow, seems to do well anywhere but super soggy spaces where it turns black and dies.
I am actually growing it in a difficult abusive situation just to see what it will take.
It will be my entry into the state fair competition this year because it has just been so beautiful.

Positive SmurfetteBettyC On Aug 23, 2010, SmurfetteBettyC from Lakeside, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I planted this plant in a pot (very bright light/covered west exposure) in East foothills area of San Diego. It doesn't mind the summer heat (temperatures can get up to 107 F. here). Don't care for the smell (similar to common geraniums) but the hardy & pretty trailing leaves make it worth keeping. It would be an added plus if it blooms! Pinching back does keep it fuller. Hope it does well this winter (temps briefly freeze occasionally).

Positive liebenswert On Jul 25, 2010, liebenswert from O Fallon, IL wrote:

I love this plant every since I was given one by the plant store in Europe. I could never find the name of this plant but I have finally found it. I have only found it for sale here in Southern Illinois. I grow this plant in a large pot with standing Geraniums. It grows mostly length wise but roots anywhere it touches soil. I am in zone 6 and have not tried to over winter it. I will bring a few cuttings inside to see how it turns out. If you brush your hand over the leaves, it releases a very nice scent. It makes nice hanging basket plants and loves Full to partial Sun. I will continue to use this plant yearly in my flower pots.

Neutral BrendaLeigh On Jun 8, 2010, BrendaLeigh from Seguin, TX wrote:

I just purchased a plant like this at my gardent store and asked what it is called and they told me "Stinkweed".
I have looked online to verify this, but had no luck, so I came
to Dave's Garden, because I always find useful information.
I have had this plant in years past, and I thought it was a
Swedish Ivy when I bought it. I feel it will be a good plant.

Positive plantladylin On Sep 14, 2009, plantladylin from South Daytona, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I received a small cutting of this plant in a trade a year ago and it rooted quickly and has grown and spread to make a nice full hanging basket. A very easy plant with interesting foliage.

Positive green_dragon On Sep 3, 2008, green_dragon from Trumbull, CT wrote:

I obtained this plant as a tiny cutting about 2 years ago. It grows like crazy and it is easy to over winter in a bright window.
I noted that if the plant is allowed to become pot bound and pruned from time to time it will be more upright and the leaves will be smaller. Has a less vulgar look when allowed to do so and maintains all it's other characteristics forming a tight mound of eye catching patterned foliage.
For a neat party decoration put it under a black light for a real cool look!
It can get mite infestation and it is hard to deal with if that happens. The leaves will start dropping. If so it's best to take a clean cutting and start over.
Easy for the black thumbed to grow.

Positive carpiano On Aug 23, 2004, carpiano from Roselle, IL wrote:

i purchases a small accent plant in the spring of 2003 in my zone 5. it filled the pot and cascaded so beautifully that i brought the whole pot in and left it in an east window all winter. Put it back outside in the spring and it's more beautiful than ever. I have taken some cutting and am rooting them in water to start another. There is no white on my leaves, only a heavily veined green top with a beautiful purple underleaf.

Positive Happenstance On Aug 23, 2003, Happenstance from Northern California, CA wrote:

This is a variegated White-Edged Swedish Ivy commonly seen in hanging baskets. It has a small 1-2" leaf, has a trailing habit. This is NOT the same as Plectranthus forsteri 'Marginatus' which is an upright small shrub with 6-8" leaves having similar leaf variegation.

Glendale, Arizona