Giant Bamboo
Dendrocalamus giganteus

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Dendrocalamus (den-droh-KAL-uh-mus) (Info)
Species: giganteus (jy-GAN-tee-us) (Info)
Synonym:Bambusa gigantea

Palm Bay, Florida

Galveston, Texas

Kemah, Texas

On Jul 2, 2007, rplingaltx from Galveston, TX wrote:

I purchased this plant as a very small start last year and planted it rather late in the summer. It did get one new shoot which is about 3 feet long now and I just noticed another small shoot coming up this week. I am very interested to see how this bamboo does here in Galveston. Already, the individual leaves are much larger than my 5 year old 40 foot tall bambusa oldhamii so I am really hoping to get some good size out of it eventually. It overwintered here with no protection whatsoever so I have high hopes. I will keep you posted.
9/2/07 Several 3 foot tall culms over the last couple of months have emerged. Yay! I am hoping for some size starting next year. 11/13/08 The bamboo was just getting a shoot of appreciable size when hurricane Ike hit. It was inundated in 7 fe... read more

On May 24, 2004, dbinnix from Garden Grove, CA wrote:

Take a look at the pictures and you will see just how large this plant can get. The one at Quail is not even full grown!

On Aug 23, 2003, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This may be the world's largest bamboo species. It is a humongous plant, for sure. The Quail Botanical gardens in So Cal has a great variety of bamboo and an exceptional specimen of this plant. The culms grow up to 100' in the wild, and nearly that here in So Cal. The culms are nearly 1' in diameter... it's simple HUGE!! What a beauty, too.