PlantFiles: Hot Pepper, Grove Pepper
Capsicum frutescens 'Grove'

Genus: Capsicum (KAP-sih-kum) (Info)
Species: frutescens (froo-TESS-enz) (Info)
Cultivar: Grove
Additional cultivar information: (aka Grove Pepper, Wild Grove Pepper)

» View all varieties of Peppers

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Heat (Pungency):
Moderate (1,000 to 5,000 Scoville Units)

Fruit Shape:
Tapered

Fruit Size:
Small (under 2" in length)
Medium (4" to 6" in length)

Fruit Color:
Yellow changing to red

Open-pollinated

Usage:
Fresh (salsa, salads)
Drying
Pickling

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

Mid (69-80 days)
Late (more than 80 days)

By IslandJim
Thumbnail #1 of Capsicum frutescens by IslandJim

By onalee
Thumbnail #2 of Capsicum frutescens by onalee

Positive n4jmx On Jun 25, 2007, n4jmx from Wauchula, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I discovered this plant growing as a volunteer next to my dog pen. The cafeteria ladies at the school I work at use these peppers as a salad dressing. They place them in a glass container with vinegar and we sprinkle it onto our salads. Nice flavor and not too hot.
So when I discovered this plant growing in my yard I was very pleased. I plan on saving some of the peppers for seed and will keep you posted on my success with growing them.

Positive cujo1432 On Dec 13, 2003, cujo1432 wrote:

My grove pepper plant seems to do well in full light in the morning and inderict sun light in the afternoon the best.. With lots of water.. The wetter the soil the more, umm I guess you could say" happier" the plant seems..Its grown approx. 2 inchs in the last month and a half, while its been around low 50's to the 40's out side at night and around 65-70 out side durring the day.. I found a great cheap fert. for it.. All you need is childrens vitamins.. I use flintstone chewable.. Take it push one down right next to the plant every 7 to 10 day and keep it well water'd.. you'll see your plant liven up alot..
I absolutly love the plant.. it grows well, and is hard to kill.. even if you forget it for a fews day..

Positive IslandJim On Aug 23, 2003, IslandJim from Keizer, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

The "grove" pepper may or may not be the same as the "Fips" pepper [see "Peppers," Jean Andrews, University of Texas]. It gets its "grove" name from the fact that it was brought to south florida by the first Mexicans who came to work in the orange groves. So the "grove" moniker says more about Anglo presumptiousness than it does about varietal identification.

Otherwise, it's quite like the Thai Devil--in heat, growing habit [pointing up], shape, and color--but differs in size. Grove is two or three times larger than Thai Devil.

Brooksville, Florida