PlantFiles: Hybrid Tea Rose
Rosa 'Henry Fonda'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Henry Fonda
Additional cultivar information: (aka JACyes)
Hybridized by Christensen; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1995

Flower Fragrance:
Slightly Fragrant

Habit:
Shrub
Can be trained as a standard or tree form

Patented

Other Details:

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

Thumbnail #1 of Rosa  by Happenstance

By ConfusedCactus
Thumbnail #6 of Rosa  by ConfusedCactus

By eggers
Thumbnail #7 of Rosa  by eggers

Positive Deb4Him1959 On May 7, 2013, Deb4Him1959 from Lawton, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have a Henry Fonda Tea Rose and I love it. it is in partial shade and leans to the sun, on the South side of my home. I get beautiful huge roses, every year (for 3 years). It blooms all spring and summer. I water it generously every 3 days, as we are in a drought here in SW Oklahoma. We also have red clay soil. I planted the rootball in a twice the size hole, with a bag of potting soil around it. I've feed it rose food with herbicide and insecticide included, every spring.

Neutral lauriepowers On Feb 16, 2012, lauriepowers from Santa Clarita, CA wrote:

When I bought this rose last year (trained as a tree) it had the most spectacular blooms. However it has become more stingy with blooms and the stems have become spindly. I'm hoping this year will be better. I have it in a planter box. In the summer it gets plenty of sun, at least 8 hours, but not starting until about 9 - 10 am. If anyone has experience with what might make this rose happier, I'd love to hear it.

Neutral figaro52 On Jun 2, 2006, figaro52 from Oak Lawn, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This rose was beautiful last summer during its first year with me. It bloomed heavily. I love the rich yellow color. However, Henry Fonda came back this season disguised as a miniature -- apparently growing from the root stock. Plant is situated in a sunny location along south side of house and was well-protected during the winter.

Positive eggers On Dec 10, 2005, eggers from Covina, CA wrote:

The Henry Fonda hybrid tea rose has unique, vivid yellow blooms that open from pointed yellow buds to display their brightly yellow splendor (I think its the most yellow of all yellow roses, and absolutely a prized addition to any garden). These beautiful strikingly golden blooms are further set off by the spotless, deep green foliage that covers this remarkably vigorous plant. Fragrance is light and sweet. Plant height to 4 feet tall displaying flowers on 10 to 15 inch stems. Moderately priced (usually $15 $25 depending on form), they can be found in either bare root, container bush or 36" tree form at only nurseries that carry them.

Neutral ConfusedCactus On Oct 4, 2005, ConfusedCactus from Topeka, IL wrote:

Slow growing, stingy with blooms plant. When there is a bloom, tho, it's beautiful and smells great. Hoping 2nd year will be better.

Positive Happenstance On Aug 24, 2003, Happenstance from Northern California, CA wrote:

My favorite true yellow rose.
Hybrid Tea, Large-flowered.
Deep yellow [ARS dy] blooms. Mild fragrance. 20 to 25 petals. Repeats its bloom again later in the season.

Anniston, Alabama