Eve's Needle Cactus, Eve's Pin Cactus

Austrocylindropuntia subulata

Family: Cactaceae (kak-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Austrocylindropuntia (oss-troh-sil-in-droh-PUN-tee-uh) (Info)
Species: subulata (sub-yoo-LAH-tuh) (Info)
Synonym:Opuntia subulata
Synonym:Cylindropuntia subulata
Synonym:Opuntia exaltata
Synonym:Cylindropuntia exaltata
Synonym:Austrocylindropuntia exaltata

Cactus and Succulents

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

Chandler, Arizona

Chandler Heights, Arizona

Golden Valley, Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Phoenix, Arizona (3 reports)

Queen Creek, Arizona

Scottsdale, Arizona

Surprise, Arizona

Tucson, Arizona (2 reports)

Bostonia, California

Kenner, Louisiana

Henderson, Nevada

Albany, Oregon

On Apr 5, 2014, Cathiesabq from Albuquerque, NM wrote:

I just brought home my Eve's Pin and have it in a large container at this point. We are in Abq. NM and our weather is increasingly warmer these days so hopefully the cacti will do well. I have a greenhouse for winter but will most likely bring this one in for the harsher months. I must say I love this plant and hope that it will help me through the hard times when I miss my old home in Tucson.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know, this is the first cacti of this kind for me and I don't want to harm it.

Positive thinking and a little care will hopefully bring a future positive post :)

On Apr 21, 2013, tagreece from Athens
Greece (Zone 9b) wrote:

This succulent became a problem for my garden (Athens, Greece, zone 9, near the sea). It was more than 2 m high (6,5 feet) and the bush was more than 3 m. (9,5-10 feet) large. It was difficult to keep its growth under control. Finally we decide to eradicate it. This task was much more difficult. Now we have a small one in a pot and a free space in our garden.
But today, 4 years after the eradication, no plant can grow there. I am searching if "Aco subulata" has an allelopathy factor that impede other plants to grow. In the same place we have planted a Jasminum nudiflorum, then a Buddleja davidi and finally a Bougainvillea spectabilis. None of them succeed.

On Dec 1, 2009, rionmaiden from 2233
Australia wrote:

This is the fastest growing cactus I own and living in Australia, it gets plenty of sun and I have covered the soil surface with sugarcane mulch, and it keeps the plant cooler than normal, it seems to be the key to the growth rate.
Does anyone else use mulch instead of the small rocks or grit? And have you had any luck?

On Jul 30, 2004, TucsonJen from Tucson, AZ (Zone 9a) wrote:

Mine is less than a foot tall so I'll have to be patient to see how big it will grow!

According to George Hull (Glendale Public Library) the asparagas cactus is:
Hardy in USDA zones 9-10. Should be planted in full sun. Native at higher elevations up to 12000' in Ecuador and Peru. This is one of the tree-like cacti growing up to 13' tall and 10' in diameter. Leaves are narrow and up to 5" long.

Update 8-28-04: The local critters (rabbits and round-tailed ground squirrels) just couldn't resist it. Such a shame, I really like this plant. *sigh*

On Jun 18, 2004, Xenomorf from Valley of the Sun, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

Also known as: Asparagus Cactus.
Other valid synonyms are:
Opuntia segethii
Maihueniopsis exaltata
Maihueniopsis subulata
Pereskia subulata

On Jan 29, 2004, cosmophonic12 wrote:

This is a great cactus!! Once established it grows very rapidly. I was told this specimen could reach a height of six foot tall four feet wide. I have had no problems with it and it take full sun where I live.