PlantFiles: Corn Cob Euphorbia, Corkscrew
Euphorbia mammillaris

Family: Euphorbiaceae (yoo-for-bee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Euphorbia (yoo-FOR-bee-uh) (Info)
Species: mammillaris (mam-mil-LAIR-iss) (Info)

Cactus and Succulents

Thumbnail #6 of Euphorbia mammillaris by palmbob

Thumbnail #7 of Euphorbia mammillaris by palmbob

Positive Jensilaedi On May 7, 2010, Jensilaedi from Perth
Australia wrote:

slow growing but cheerful plant. shade and sun will not hurt it.

sap may or may not be poisonous. For those persons who definitely have an allergy/skin sensitivity will react to it. If you're not sensitive it'll just make your skin a little bit itchy and nothing more.

I have this plant potted and have been looking for a name for years! thanks..

Positive robcorreia On Oct 23, 2009, robcorreia from San Diego, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

I love this plant and I've never had any of the allergic reactions to the sap.

Neutral DracoVolans On Aug 17, 2009, DracoVolans from Crestline, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This species is happy and healthy living in the Mother-In-Law's cactus garden and I thought it was one of the neatest looking things... She 's been cutting back and seriously pruning many of the greenies that have overgrown and she tossed a "finger" of this in a box for me, along with another possible Euphorbia species (still researching that one). She knows I'm a plant freak and seems to like seeing how I do with species I'm unfamiliar with (so far, my success-rating is pretty good- I've only killed one plant she's given me so far, but it was pretty far gone by the time I got to it). My rating of neutral will likely change, depending on how my "finger" does in it's new environment. :) I'm curious if I have the chartreuse-blooming colour or the pretty red-violet variety. My "finger" is the blue-green version of body colour and either bloom colour would beautiful against it. Can't wait to find out next year!

Oh, and I'm curious to know if it's unusual for a person NOT to react to the sap. I've handled several Euphorbias now, and so far nothing. :) Nearly half my container garden has plants that carry allergy-warnings in your files and I react to NONE of them. Guess I'm lucky.

Positive Happenstance On Aug 28, 2003, Happenstance from Northern California, CA wrote:

Will remain mostly green if grown indoors or in a greenhouse situation. Put outside in late Spring in 9b, full sun will turn it completely red/yellow. Dappled shade will allow some stem to remain green while those on the sunny side will color up. Likes fish emulsion diluted about 1/2 strength.

Like all Euphorbia HANDLE WITH CARE, the latex/sap is dangerous and can cause skin rash, itching and general discomfort.

Brea, California