Euphorbia 'Zig Zag'

Euphorbia pseudocactus

Family: Euphorbiaceae (yoo-for-bee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Euphorbia (yoo-FOR-bee-uh) (Info)
Species: pseudocactus (soo-doh-KAK-tus) (Info)
Cultivar: Zig Zag

Cactus and Succulents

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

Clayton, California

Fontana, California

Spring Valley, California

Thousand Oaks, California

Venice, Florida

Culloden, Georgia

Forsyth, Georgia

Spring Branch, Texas

On Apr 4, 2010, Fltwd from Herrin Il.
United States wrote:

I live in southern illinois and have 2 of these plants. When I purchased them they were in the same pot growing stait up like most pictures I've seen, I split them into 2 seperate pots and they went crazy with horizontal branches, so I cut 2 off and tryd 2 start them but they turnd brown and died with no roots starting at all. These plants are the favorite of my cactus collection and would like many more. What did I do or not do to cause my clippings not to start?????

On Dec 31, 2006, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is actually a hybrid between E pseudocactus and another hybrid of pseudocactus and grandicornis. It is an accurate mix of the two species E pseudocactus and E grandicornis- smaller than E grandicornis, but with a lot of the angularity and similar spines to E grandicornis... only with red flowers, not yellow. Also has the striping/variegation of E pseudocactus. Makes a great landscape plant in southern California taking up less room than E grandicornis, and less problems falling over onto itself than E pseudocactus (which sometimes grows more like a vine than a self-supporting plant).

It is a very commonly sold succulent at garden outlet centers throughout southern California... probably more common than either parent plant.

On Jul 2, 2004, Xenomorf from Valley of the Sun, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

Also known as "Zig-Zag"

On Apr 22, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is a very commonly sold species in cactus and succulent nurseries as it has some interesting variegation of the columns accentuated by giving it some shade. However, plant does great in full sun, even in Phoenix, Arizona and still retains some of its variegation. Spines are doubled and sharp. I have not had any problem handling this species as it is pretty tough and doesn't release its sap unless you cut it or break it on purpose, or snag one of the thorns and yank. However, I still use gloves to handle it because of the thorns. Easy to grow plant. Sometimes confused with Euphorbia grandicornis, which is like a giant version of this only without the variegation (zig-zags).

On Aug 28, 2003, Happenstance from Northern California, CA wrote:

Like all Euphorbia HANDLE WITH CARE, the latex/sap is dangerous and can cause skin rash, itching and general discomfort.