PlantFiles: African Milk Bush, Purple Leaf Brown Jug Plant, Tanzanian Red Milk Bush
Euphorbia bicompacta var. rubra

Family: Euphorbiaceae (yoo-for-bee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Euphorbia (yoo-FOR-bee-uh) (Info)
Species: bicompacta var. rubra

Synonym:Synadenium compactum var. rubrum

Cactus and Succulents

Pale Green
Inconspicuous/none

Burgundy
Bronze-Green
Succulent

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting
By air layering

By Xenomorf
Thumbnail #7 of Euphorbia bicompacta var. rubra by Xenomorf

Neutral That_Guy On Jun 12, 2012, That_Guy from Bear, DE
United States wrote:

I have had the Synadenium grantii Rubra for about a year now growing indoors in Delaware & it has grown almost 14" since! It is now 5 stalks almost 6' tall w foliage top to bottom..very healthy! However, I would like to transplant this into a bigger pot to encourage the growth, does anyone have any suggestions on the best media? It is currently in a sandy gravel-ish type mix as it was when it was given to me, I have read conflicting info regarding transplanting on other sites- please help.

Positive Metrosideros On Aug 14, 2010, Metrosideros from Keaau, HI wrote:

An easy to see difference in Synadenium compactum from S. grantii is that S. compactum has minute teeth on the margins of the leaves, and S. grantii leaf margins are smooth.

Positive grik On Aug 19, 2009, grik from Saint Paul, MN wrote:

I have grown this plant for about 10 years. I purchased it from Glass House Works knowing nothing about it because they said it was indistructable. Well I can tell you I have abused it, given it little to no light and generally neglected it at different times and it has always come back looking good. It roots well from cuttings. The pictures don't really do the foliage justice. The leaves are sort of a dark maroon splashed with green. If it gets a lot of light it stays more compact but mine is sort of viney and it looks sort of like a bunch of snakes hanging down with leaves on the ends. It's kind of cool.

Positive butterfly1963 On Jun 9, 2009, butterfly1963 from Picayune, MS wrote:

This is an amazing plant. Cuttings root readily. And it grows very fast.
I made cuttings of 6' pieces we had to cut off of it. There were about 10 of these 6' pieces. The sap irritated me and got everywhere. I was trying to rinse and wash it off with all sorts of stuff. A fellow DGer looked it up for me online, I was in the tub for the umpteenth time, (we were texting) it is oil soluable. I was ready to go to the ER. All I had to do was wash it off with the veggie oil in the cabinet. So, heads up, if you have one or share it, please pass this info on. So many plants get an undeserving bad rap. There are many plants that children should stay away from, this is just one of the many we all have and grow that the little guys should stay away from.

Positive Rustydog75 On May 20, 2008, Rustydog75 from Jackson, MS wrote:

Root as you would any Euphorbia, allowing the stem cutting to dry thoroughly before planting in gritty, well-drained soil. I received my cutting from a lady down the street who has two 4-foot plants in pots she grows in full sun. Interesting foliage addition to a hot Southern patio.

Positive BayAreaTropics On Oct 8, 2007, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

I hesitated for years to say this plant is hardy in the bay area. All my potted plants would decline in a pot outdoors. Finally, I planted my last stem outdoors in my succulent garden. To my surprise it has thrived-even living through the big freeze of 07 unprotected. And it's showing more color than it ever did in a pot. This winter will tell if its long term outdoors.
Fall 2008: It's done great. Looking forward to it now being a long term outdoor succulent that should be very easy to manage.

Negative WalterT On Jul 3, 2004, WalterT from San Diego, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

I wonder if the taller version is S. grantii. My two plants are 15 feet tall and still growing here in a frost-free area of San Diego, CA. Leaf color varies from all green to mostly burgundy. See my image. Coloration is different on both sides. The copious sap from these plants is extremely toxic and must never be allowed to reach your eyes as it causes extreme pain for hours and can cause permanent damage. I am in the process of cutting down and removing my two "trees" for these reasons. I am very, very cautious about handling any part of these plants and wash thoroughly after doing so. Even though they are easily propagated from cuttings and rather attractive, I do not advise growing them, especially where children might come in contact with them, indoors or out.

Positive Orchiddoc On Mar 30, 2004, Orchiddoc from Orlando, FL wrote:

Am presently growing this plant in a 20 gal container and have several 3 gallon pots going from Tip Cuttings of about 6-8 nodes in length. am using Hormodine #1 as a rooting hormone. This plant is currently thriving!!!!! in the Orlando Fl area!!!! I have it potted in Faffard#3B gropwing media.You need no other ammendments other than14-14-14 procote fertilizer of a 6 month release

Positive palmbob On Jan 4, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant does tolerate outdoors in zone 9b, but it will be damaged a bit by frosts (so far, not killed) and lose a bit of succulent stem. Mine has survived 9 years with temps down to 24F so far and only one year (the one it got down to 24) did it show damage. It is a deciduous plant in colder parts of So Cal, but holds its leaves 9 out of 12 months. In warmer areas it can grow up to about 15-20' and branch quite profusely. It has incredibly attractive variegated foliage of red and green. Excellent landscaping plant for warm, xeriscape gardens.

One of the easiest plants in the yard to make cuttings from... just snap off a branch and put it in the ground.. only time I get a failed rooting is if the soil is really boggy or cold.

Positive Happenstance On Sep 5, 2003, Happenstance from Northern California, CA wrote:

Greenhouse grown in 9b, native to Eastern Africa, can be grown from cuttings. There is also a green form.

The latex(sap)from this plant is extremely caustic, use caution when handling and keep away from children.

La Torre De Esteban Hambrán,
Huntington Beach, California
Los Angeles, California
Newport Beach, California
Reseda, California
San Diego, California (2 reports)
Thousand Oaks, California