African Milk Bush - Green
Euphorbia bicompacta

Family: Euphorbiaceae (yoo-for-bee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Euphorbia (yoo-FOR-bee-uh) (Info)
Species: bicompacta
Synonym:Synadenium compactum

Cactus and Succulents

Succulent

Clayton, California

Palm Beach, Florida

Wellborn, Florida

On Feb 19, 2011, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have grown this plant many times over the last 10-15 years and it is a great plant- super easy. However, I live in zone 9b, and though it has not died here, even during an atypical severe freeze, it did die down the the ground... but recovered. It is one of the faster growing Euphorbias there are, growing from a 1' cutting to a tree over 6' tall in just a few years. Cuttings are incredibly easy to grow, often requiring ony removal from the mother plant (snapping one off at the point of attachment (a weak spot in this species) and just putting the oozing end in the ground- I have nearly 100% succuss rate this way). Sap is very noxious and oozes with minimal contact, making it one of the most annoyingly hazardous plants in my garden (and I have a LOT of hazardous plants). Another comm... read more

On Jun 27, 2010, momjade from Buenos Aires
Argentina (Zone 9b) wrote:

- This plant grows well potted alone or in a garden with regular soil in full sunlight which brings out lovely purple specks on its leaves.
- In the southern hemisphere, it is also known as the wart plant. Direct contact of its milky sap on a human or canine wart will dry it up and remove it in as little as three days. Contact with any other skin area is highly irritant producing redness and fever.
- In southern hemisphere winters (like our Canadian autumn but without the frost) where daytime temperatures hover below 20C and fall below 10C at night, the plant goes dormant, losing all its leaves.

This plant was originally given to me by my seamstress who had plenty growing in her garden in Buenos Aires, Argentina and I've successfully grown it in pots for many... read more