PlantFiles: Para Cress, Toothache Plant, Eyeball Plant
Acmella oleracea 'Peek-A-Boo'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Acmella (ak-MEL-uh) (Info)
Species: oleracea (awl-lur-RAY-see-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Peek-A-Boo

By PurplePansies
Thumbnail #7 of Acmella oleracea by PurplePansies

Positive MAB123 On Oct 28, 2011, MAB123 from Reisterstown
United States wrote:

This plant is an absolute blessing when you are wearing braces! I have only had them on for a couple of weeks and without the leaves and flowers I would be miserable. I use the flowers on the sides of my mouth at night to keep the braces from hurting me so wax isn't on them constantly. The leaves sit next to them during the day.

I have frozen them so I will have them this winter and they are just as effective.

MAB123

Positive slatwood On Sep 6, 2008, slatwood from Sun City, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

Spilanthes needs at least filtered shade in PM in Phoenix area. It self-seeds readily, and foliage rebounds wonderfully even if allowed to dry out. The reference to it as a "culinary herb" truly surprised me. Apparently, cooking heat inactivates the enzyme which gives the plant its common name - Toothache Plant: chewing the leaves will deaden your entire mouth - teeth, tongue, gums, lips. If overdone, it can pose problems swallowing.

But as a Sun City plant, it's perfect: it is absolutely Rabbit-Proof!

Positive htop On Mar 31, 2005, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

The eyeball plant I had last summer was in a container where it received filtered shade from an oak tree. Its seeds fell in 2 containers and surprised me by sprouting in them while they were in my greenhouse. I didn't know what the 2 plants were until the blooms appeared in March. I will sprinkle the seeds as they ripen in different areas of my yard and hope that they will germinate. All of my visitors love the unusual blooms.

Positive Valiche On Dec 1, 2004, Valiche from Roselle, NJ (Zone 6b) wrote:

This was a cute plant. I didn't think it would grow as large as it did but what a nice suprise. Some of the seed heads fell into the soil. We'll see how good it is at self sowing for next season.

Positive WillowWasp On Aug 14, 2004, WillowWasp from Jones Creek, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is my first year to grow this plant and I love it. It is a very bright and cheery bloom. It also keeps quite sometime as a cut flower. I will plant it again next year but alot more of it.

Positive patp On Aug 14, 2004, patp from Summerville, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is a fun plant to own. When I gave one to an ill friend and said I was going to keep 'my eye' on him to cheer him up, he chuckled. When the plant needs water, it looks like boiled spinach but perks up after watering. It's very easy to start new plants - just squeeze the eyeball over soil and bunches of new plants will grow.

Positive Happenstance On Aug 30, 2003, Happenstance from Northern California, CA wrote:

Good border plant, needs afternoon shade in 9b, native to Brazil where it is a culinary herb (leaves & flowerheads).
Adds spots of color to a shaded location.

Arley, Alabama
Phoenix, Arizona (2 reports)
Sun City, Arizona