PlantFiles: Creeping Wire Vine, Maidenhair Vine, Mattress Vine
Muehlenbeckia axillaris 'Nana'

Family: Polygonaceae
Genus: Muehlenbeckia (mew-len-BEK-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: axillaris (ax-ILL-ar-iss) (Info)
Cultivar: Nana

Thumbnail #5 of Muehlenbeckia axillaris by blumz

Thumbnail #6 of Muehlenbeckia axillaris by blumz

Thumbnail #7 of Muehlenbeckia axillaris by blumz

Positive coriaceous On Sep 19, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

A neighbor grows this plant in part sun, with no irrigation. It's formed a patch about a yard across, next to some thyme which it doesn't seem to want to invade. I find it attractive, and it doesn't seem to want to spread inordinately. It's hardy but tardily deciduous here (Boston Z6a).

Positive Sitebeautician On Jun 23, 2014, Sitebeautician from Atlanta, GA wrote:

Planted one 4" pot last fall in heavy clay, on south facing slope and without irrigation. Plant has spread approximately 12" and seems promising as a substitute for workhorse ground covers here I the South. Clay soil may limit rapid expansion experienced in areas with loamy or sandy soils.

Positive carolynsuetoo On Mar 16, 2014, carolynsuetoo from Porterville, CA wrote:

A friend gave me this plant as a small topiary. It grew and I set it outside in a fairly shaded area moist area. It grew out of its pot with beautiful cascading vines in multi-directions. I pruned it one day, thought I had ruined it, but it filled back in. I can start new plants easily from trimmings and planting in similar locations. I live in Porterville, CA, zone 9, so frosty for weeks in winter and a scorching 105+ days for weeks in the summer. It loves a semi-shaded area with plenty of moisture. It is the most attractive plant in my yard. I love this little plant with its thriving disposition!

Positive mdmetcalf On Oct 7, 2012, mdmetcalf from Salt Lake City, UT wrote:

I'm in Salt Lake City, Utah, zone 6. It hasn't been invasive, I was afraid it wouldn't come back, but it did. It was on the north side of my house, not much water, no sun in the winter and it did very well until the ducks started picking at it. So I planted some in the sun in July, full sun, 100 degrees, dumb time to plant it, it barely survived, but did.
I wish it stayed green all winter.

Negative vinobarolo On Jun 12, 2012, vinobarolo from San Francisco, CA wrote:

I have experienced the serious invasive habit of this plant. It has taken over several neighbors' yards - all elderly folk who do little if any maintenance in their yards - and I constantly fight it's entrance into my back yard. It travels through and under fences, climbs trees and bushes and suffocates them. It is extremely difficult to remove as the runners travel quite deep, and the vine itself is very wiry and difficult to cut.

Positive woodenshoe62 On Apr 21, 2012, woodenshoe62 from Ogdensburg, WI (Zone 4a) wrote:

We live in zone 4 and I could not let this beautiful plant freeze. So I brought it in and set it on a bench in our entrance on the north side of the house. It got quite cool out there at times and only bright light, no sunshine, but looks like the day I brought it in. Now I want to transplant it in something larger and put it outside when the weather warms.What kind of soil should I plant it in?

Positive pacactusfan On Feb 4, 2011, pacactusfan from Altoona, PA wrote:

I have tried this plant as an experimental in my garden. It has not spread as much as those have reported in warmer climates, but it does return faithfully year after year. The spot it is growing in receives very bright light, but not direct sun. I also grow it in pots which I over winter in my greenhouse. It does just fine in the greenhouse.

Positive mytopiary On Sep 30, 2010, mytopiary from Lynnwood, WA wrote:

One small plant has spread to 30" x 48" in an area with only three or four hours afternoon sun daily. It's been a moderate grower....took three years to achieve this size. Frost and prolonged freezing in the teens turn the leaves black but the plant fully rebounds in the spring. Be patient. It's also done well and grown rapidly in pots with premium soil in full sun. Needs plenty of water.

Positive killdawabbit On Jan 26, 2010, killdawabbit from Christiana, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

Until I read the description of Muehlenbeckia axillaris I thought that's what I had. It was labeled that way. It must be 'nana' though because it is a very small, low creeper. It's beautiful. It has survived two winters here in zone 6b so far.

Positive sueroderus On Nov 18, 2009, sueroderus from Bluffton, SC wrote:

(zone 8b) This plant has not been invasive for me although it does spread. It has done well in shaded areas in my clay soil, but has not done well in sun. It's light airy texture has been a good addition to my garden and great addition to planters.

Negative flaflwrgrl On Jul 21, 2009, flaflwrgrl from North Central , FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I had to vote negative to let people know this plant can be your worst invasive nightmare. I got 2 little 4" pots of this, planted them in the driest place in my yard (in sand), full sun for 8-10 hours a day. I pretty much ignored them, that is to say that after the 1st 2 weeks I didn't water them or anything & we were in horrible drought conditions. In 1 1/2 years they had covered an area approx. 14' x 16' & I had been trying to keep them trimmed back so they wouldn't crawl into everything else. They crawled over & under & through everything in their path rooting their thin stems all along the way. They were a BEAST to get rid of. I had to spray them but where they went into my juniper I had to pull & pull & pull & still have to keep a close watch for pop ups. That is what this plant can do in my zone. On a positive note: it could replace turf grass if all you want is a green yard with nothing else in it.

Positive moonmoth On Jan 10, 2009, moonmoth from Scio, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

Maidenhair Vine is lovely in a large pot on a stand, which allows the vines to grow down the sides of the pot and lower.
I cut off stems, (woody) and stuck them in moist soil; even without hormone powder and the stems survived.
Maidenhair Vine is cold hardy, and seems to be evergreen as the leaves are still on my plant.
I would highly recommend it as a plant which adds interest and
texture in a porch setting.

Positive gymcorridor On May 19, 2007, gymcorridor from Orlando, FL wrote: