PlantFiles: Golden Creeping Jenny, Gold Moneywort
Lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea'

Family: Primulaceae
Genus: Lysimachia (ly-si-MAK-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: nummularia (num-ew-LAH-ree-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Aurea

By Happenstance
Thumbnail #6 of Lysimachia nummularia by Happenstance

By BUFFY690
Thumbnail #7 of Lysimachia nummularia by BUFFY690

Positive debylutz On Jun 29, 2014, debylutz from San Diego, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

What a beautiful golden-green color and exquisite round leaves opposite on the stem. I use it in container plantings as the "spiller". It drapes down the sides of a tall container most gracefully, lending a tropical feel to the planting. It grows vigorously here in San Diego during the warm months, so I do not think I would plant it in the open ground due to its invasiveness.

Negative coriaceous On Feb 3, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Before it was prohibited here (Massachusetts), I bought two plants for use in containers. The client planted them in the beds without telling me, and it took only a few months to become an ineradicable weed, both in the borders and also in the lawn. (This is a no-herbicide garden.)

This plant creeps quickly along the ground and roots at every node. In our heavy soil, the roots are stronger than the stems, and if I pull, the stem snaps above the nearest rooted node. That makes it as hard to remove from the lawn as ground ivy (Glechoma hederacea), which has a similar habit and is also a problem in this garden.

I find that plantings of gold-leafed cultivars need to be monitored for green reversions/seedlings.

This species is native to Europe and widely naturalized throughout the US. There is widespread concern about its invasion of natural habitat, especially in sensitive wetlands.

It can be controlled with 2% glyphosate herbicide.

Positive DracoVolans On Sep 8, 2013, DracoVolans from Crestline, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Like the "learn as you go" fool that I am, I almost killed mine. :-p Just because I live in zone 8b doesn't mean that drought conditions don't happen. Summers are DRY here. And HOT. The listing says sun to partial shade, but I personally keep mine in partial shade just to keep it from frying. I've learned my lesson after losing one plant to gophers and dry weather: keep her damp and in a planter.

Obviously, invasiveness isn't a problem here with the summers being so dry. It just dies if you don't baby it. Otherwise, it's a keeper and easy to grow.

I have an attractive, heavy clay planter I bought at a garage sale with a hand-bent wicker handle on it and I have the Creeping Jenny spilling out of it with some Purple Shamrock growing out the top. It's the first thing you see when you come to my door other than our big dragon who guards our walk. :-) The contrast of the chartreuse and purple colours look sweet together. :-)

Positive rgoddard13 On May 2, 2012, rgoddard13 from Tega Cay, SC wrote:

Great when contained by a brick border and a concrete pathway. This is dark green in the shade and yellow in the sun. The part I have in the sun needs a LOT more water or else it burns out. Looks great with my hostas and hydrangea.

Negative Biker1 On Oct 23, 2011, Biker1 from McLean, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

Very effective groundcover. Good in moist areas. But, it is way too aggressive to be desirable in McLean, VA. I consider it a weed.

Positive pjoid123 On Jun 29, 2011, pjoid123 from Spotsylvania, VA wrote:

I have this plant in containers for accent and also in the ground as a ground cover. It grows quickly in both sunny and under almost full shade conditions. Great for erosion control. I planted Moneywort from a 3" pot last summer and now the plant covers a 4' x4' area. I found a local nursery where I can get Moneywort in 3" pots for a little over a $1.

Negative Amoena On Oct 11, 2010, Amoena from Nashville, TN wrote:

Maybe this is an OK ground cover in some climates, but in my area, it is a NOXIOUS WEED! I originally planted two small plants in a partly-shaded woodland garden. After a few months, it was well on it's way to covering the entire garden: aprox 4 X 20 feet. Beginning the next spring, it had swallowed up the garden and was intruding about 2 feet into the lawn. My efforts to remove it were entierly unsucessful, as even a tiny fragment of stem will resume it's conquest.
Perhaps this plant is not such a thug in dry, sunny areas, but I wouldn't chance it. Unless you want to grow nothing else, not even grass....

Positive BJames1 On May 23, 2010, BJames1 from Elizabeth City, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

My favorite gold groundcover! Versatile, enduring, colorful, exciting, easy, fast! What more can I say? 'Aurea' goes great with purples and other bright yellows (such as the Jasminum officinalis 'Frojas'--another very exciting plant!) I simply love the combination of 'Frojas' and purple wandering jew I have near my greenhouse--absolutely stunning! The brighter the light, the greater yellow 'Aurea' will be. Golden Creeping Jenny is a brilliant--in color and in staying power--garden performer!

Neutral Kerni On Apr 24, 2010, Kerni from Deerfield, WI wrote:

This moneywort does fill in the bare spots quickly but...it also is growing into my perennials. This week I have been cleaning up the gardens and found one of my hostas totally covered by the moneywort. I only was able to locate it because it had a marker. Should I be concerned? Will the moneywort overtake and snuff out my other plants? It also allows grass to grow in between so weeding is still necessary and more difficult. On the plus side...the yellow is bright and helps show off the other plants. (Much better than mulch.) Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Positive Oberon46 On Oct 21, 2009, Oberon46 from (Mary) Anchorage, AK (Zone 5b) wrote:

I am in a micro-climate in Alaska. I wanted something that would grow in the rocks around my pond but was worried it would 'take over'. It was very well behaved. Put the little pot right in the water snugged into some rocks and it was happy as a clam. It began to spread over the water for several inches which was okay. I have taken it indoors now that the pond is freezing, but am wondering if I should have moved the pot into the dirt and left it outside.

Positive catcollins On Jan 17, 2009, catcollins from West Friendship, MD (Zone 6b) wrote:

This is one of my "magic plants" - goes anywhere, anytime. This was a hand-me-down from the previous owners of my home. They made a lot of mistakes in the yard that needed correcting when we moved in, but this was not one of them! Spreads steadily in full sun or part shade and never tries to smother anything (except maybe the creeping phlox). Just pulls out when it goes too far. No problem with volunteers in this area. Cuts and roots easily. Evergreen here - edges turn bronze in winter and green back out in spring. Tolerates light foot traffic.

I gave some of these to a co-worker for her awkward "garden" that refused to grow anything. Four months later, she said it had spread like crazy but "I keep having to feed it because it's still yellow." I reminded her that this is "yellow creeping jenny" and is supposed to be that way, please stop feeding it!

Positive Angsoden On Jun 12, 2008, Angsoden from Minneapolis, MN wrote:

I have had great success with this plant. It is planted in an area with pine bark chips and that seems to control its invasiveness. It is slowly spreading and easily to pull. Mine is in the sun and it is bright yellow in color, but when it was in partial shade it had a very bronze color that was also pretty.

Positive Gabrielle On May 2, 2008, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

Grows a bit fast, but as yet, is easy to pull out. Especially nice next to bronze or maroon foliage plants.

Positive WaterCan2 On Oct 11, 2007, WaterCan2 from Eastern Long Island, NY (Zone 7a) wrote:

Many see this plant and run the other way! Feared by many as invasive, it is... if not managed or planted carelessly. Takes full sun but in moderate doses. Always like it moist but can survive with it dry for a small, infrequent time. Withstood the snow to come back another season, both in an outside pot and on the ground. I keep some around my rose bushes, (they help keep the moisture in).

Positive Bainbridge On Sep 24, 2007, Bainbridge from Bainbridge Island, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

The cultivar 'Aurea' is a valued ground cover here in the Puget Sound area, especially in areas of moist bright shade.

We have found the standard green type, however, to be an unmitigated invasive pest that is best avoided.

Negative sjbgarden On May 16, 2007, sjbgarden from Hingham, MA wrote:

Though I do love to look of creeping Jenny, it has been placed on the "do not plant" list in our area Massachusetts). Some of the wholesalers have been told to pull it off the shelves because of it's invasive nature. I will attest to the fact that it has spread in areas I didn't even plant it due to the reseeding- and I am now pulling it out from all kinds of places. It will not be contained in a container as it will reseed in the walkway, or anywhere else the wind blows!

Positive Wifeygirl On Apr 1, 2007, Wifeygirl from (Caitlin) Fresno, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I really like this plant, but have a few false starts with it. I first planted it in a "tipped over" pot in the ground, but I've found that slugs really like to eat it. I then planted it in a hanging basket, but it didn't like the lack of constantly moist soil. Now I have it in a pot up off the ground, and I water it almost every day, and it seems happier.

Positive agebhart On Mar 31, 2007, agebhart from Wichita, KS (Zone 6a) wrote:

I love this ground cover. It can creep into other plants but it is easy to maintain. It adds some bright color to darker plants or areas.

Positive meacatmom On Sep 29, 2006, meacatmom from mississauga

Planted in a 90% shade location with some hostas and grasses. It has flourished and is creeping slowly within the bed, adding a nice dash of bright green in a darker corner. Should overwinter here in Southern Ontario, but this is it's first so we'll see.

Positive tomzeke On Sep 2, 2006, tomzeke from Atlanta, GA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have had excellent results growing this plant in a hanging basket in semi-shade. Some morning sun seems to maintain the chartreuse color. No flowering as yet. I do not know if this plant would do well indoors.

Positive Jaimee On Jul 24, 2006, Jaimee from Farmington, MI wrote:

After reading that this plant was "invasive", I planted it in a test area in a remote part of our back yard. I figured if it got out of control I could spray Round Up over the entired area and kill it.

After 3 years of total neglect, the Moneywort was thriving and had only invaded the grass by perhaps 3 inches.

It has now become one of my favorite ground covers.

I divided the original plant and it's growing like wildfire, covering the bare spots in our new home. I just love this plant! It's lush and low maintenance.

Neutral darylmitchell On Sep 12, 2005, darylmitchell from Saskatoon, SK (Zone 3a) wrote:

Don't grow this in full sun! I was given some bad information from a local greenhouse worker, who assured me it would do fine in a container located in a windy, southern exposure. It was fine at first, but gradually two-thirds of it dried up and died. I would try it in a shady spot again, as it was attractive before it burned to a crisp.

Positive smiln32 On Nov 9, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Great groundcover, indeed. I had some growing in my yard in AL a couple of years ago and fell in love with it, even though I never did see it bloom. Each plant can spread up to 18" and probably beyond as each trailing stem grows its own roots. I had it planted alongside the green moneywort and the contrast was wonderful.

Positive jhyshark On Jun 30, 2004, jhyshark from Scottville, MI (Zone 4b) wrote:

This little plant has actually agreed to grow in my dry rock garden, filling in around a dwarf goatsbeard. It's been alive for years now, in my 4b zone

Positive ZANDALEE On Oct 4, 2003, ZANDALEE from Tulsa, OK wrote:

This plant provides beautiful contrast next to just about any other darker leaved plant. It can be pretty invasive but to my experience it at least has the decency to stay off the sidewalk. It grows rapidly & fills in any little (or big) bare spots you might have in your garden quite nicely. Very lush looking & eye catching. It overwintered well & had no problem holding up on the East side of my home in a dry, scorching Oklahoma summer with fairly regular watering. It never even looked thirsty but I'm sure it would have been a different story had it been planted in a Western or Southern location with full afternoon sun. It will lose it's chartreuse glow in full shade.

Positive Toxicodendron On Sep 5, 2003, Toxicodendron from Piedmont, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

This plant is winter hardy here in zone 6. It is good for a groundcover, but very shallowly rooted, so it must be kept watered. I like to use it as a trailing plant in containers, too. In full shade it loses a lot of it's chartreuse color and becomes more lime green. Morning sun is best, if you can supply it, or dappled shade.

Positive Happenstance On Aug 29, 2003, Happenstance from Northern California, CA wrote:

Chartreuse/yellow version of common Moneywort. Can be used in ponds, watergardens, marginal areas, needs water consistantly, sun to part shade.

Can become invasive, good under roses or any other bare spot that needs brightening up. Doesn't like full shade and may burn out in full sun in hot zones.

Dothan, Alabama
Hammond, Illinois
Winfield, Illinois
Cicero, Indiana
Greenville, Indiana
Indianapolis, Indiana (2 reports)
Jeffersonville, Indiana
Farmington, Michigan
Franklin, Michigan
Livonia, Michigan
Scottville, Michigan
Minneapolis, Minnesota (2 reports)
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
Cleveland, Ohio
Columbus, Ohio
Dayton, Ohio
Grove City, Ohio
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (2 reports)
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Mill City, Oregon
Philomath, Oregon
Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
New Freedom, Pennsylvania
Norristown, Pennsylvania
Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania (2 reports)
Fort Mill, South Carolina