False African Violet, Cape Primrose
Streptocarpella 'Concord Blue'

Family: Gesneriaceae (ges-ner-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Streptocarpella (strep-toh-kar-PEL-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Concord Blue

Leesville, South Carolina

Prosperity, South Carolina

Petersburg, Virginia

On Jun 16, 2010, PammiePi from Green Cove Springs, FL wrote:

I have this plant in a hanging basket on my front porch which gets morning sun only, shade the rest of the day. This plant is a favorite of the local nursery woman, who talked me into trying it. So far, so good. Blooms constantly & doesn't seem to mind the high heat & humidity of Florida. I water it moderately & it seems to be more tolerant than my other hanging baskets which I seem to be watering constantly. A relative of the African Violet, it looks delicate, but it is easy to grow.

On Nov 8, 2007, ltalent from New York, NY wrote:

Always on the lookout for a flowering shade plant, we bought this beauty on a whim without any idea what it was. It struggled until we moved it from a partial shade to a spot underneath some bamboo but where there is no direct light but some decent ambient light. It's been blooming happily ever since. Blue flowers look lovely out there in the last days of fall. Textured foliage not unlike but softer than african violets make it particularly appealing. Great addition to a shade garden. Do not over water.

We've brought it inside today on the recommendation of DG gardeners and are looking forward to seeing it back outside next spring.

On Oct 15, 2005, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I work in a nursery and have fully enjoyed thisplant. We did cuttings from a hanging basket and they all rootted well with just a little humidity. In a 6 inch pot these are great for gifts or on a patio table in our summers which are very hot. Indoors they do well in a partly sunny or part day sun window. Jusr remember to turn them to keep a fairly nice rounded shape. Bloomed very early from cuttings (may) and are still blooming now a bit more profusely after a bit of cooler weather. The leaves are fairly succulent feeling and have taking a bit of dry weather well (we went for almost two months with out any rain but just a moistening water has kept these beauties in check) I now have 3 and am delving into this world of streptos, I have found a few I am really interesting in trying (... read more

On Feb 14, 2005, EskieLeia from Leesville, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

Bought this plant about 2 years ago in a hanging basket. Very easy to grow and overwinter indoors. Prefers partial shade outdoors - can't tolerate the hot sun in my zone. Easy to root from cuttings. No pest problems that I have found. Beautiful foliage with violet flowers that bloom year round.

On Aug 29, 2003, Happenstance from Northern California, CA wrote:

S. 'Concord Blue' is one of the stemmed ("caulescent") streptocarpus, a member of the subgenus streptocarpella

On Apr 7, 2003, rrizzi28 from Knoxville, TN wrote:

I absolutely loved the streptocarpella hybrid "concord blue" that I purchased last year. It bloomed without fail for me from late April (when I purchased it) to October, when I brought it indoors, and it was gorgeous. And yes, it survived full, blazing Tennessee sun with less-than-perfect watering. It was a trooper.

Sadly, I killed it once I brought it inside. I didn't know about Dave's Plants database then. I thought "gee, it looks really pot-bound. I should break it up and replant it in a bigger pot." So I did. I didn't have it in a sunny enough location. I didn't keep it moist. It died quickly.

I will buy another this year, and will make cuttings for friends! Thanks, Dave, for your database. Now I know how to take care of a great plant.