PlantFiles: Red Mulberry Tree
Morus rubra

Family: Moraceae (mor-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Morus (MOR-russ) (Info)
Species: rubra (ROO-bruh) (Info)

Synonym:Morus rubra var. rubra

Edible Fruits and Nuts

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Chartreuse (Yellow-Green)

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Thumbnail #1 of Morus rubra by Thaumaturgist

Thumbnail #2 of Morus rubra by Thaumaturgist

Thumbnail #3 of Morus rubra by Thaumaturgist

Thumbnail #4 of Morus rubra by Thaumaturgist

Thumbnail #5 of Morus rubra by Thaumaturgist

Thumbnail #6 of Morus rubra by Thaumaturgist

Thumbnail #7 of Morus rubra by Thaumaturgist

Positive Rickwebb On Oct 30, 2014, Rickwebb from Downingtown, PA wrote:

At Morton Arboretum in Lisle, Illinois, they have a young specimen in their Rare Illinois Native Plant Collection on the East side. The leaves are of a rough texture on top and should have some soft hairiness below. The so called White Mulberry was introduced from China and it has taken over everywhere, and some trees do have white fruit, but most trees bear edible, purple fruit of this introduced species or at least a hybrid. The native Red grows in rich, moist soils and is a taller tree more open with a more irregular habit, and bears edible, purple fruit.

Positive AmyMorie On Aug 28, 2010, AmyMorie from Green Cove Springs, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Yummy Yummy Yummy. Great little tree; fast growing fill in the landscape. Messy when berries are falling, so plant away from paving and entrances. Makes good syrup, pie, jam, etc

Positive CheekyTikiGirl On Apr 30, 2008, CheekyTikiGirl from Van Nuys, CA wrote:

I inherited a huge red mulberry tree when I purchased my home. The shade it provides, in the So. Cal. heat, as well as the lovely chattering of birds every morning, is well worth the purple paw prints my dog leaves in my laundry room and kitchen. Messy, but beautiful.

Neutral angelam On Jul 2, 2005, angelam from melbourne
Australia wrote:

I bought a red mulberry by mistake, intending to buy a black one, of which I have good memories. I have found the tree tough and incredibly vigorous, but a mad tangle of branches.Having tried to thin them into a more regular shape I then read that pruning should be kept to a minimum as it will stimulate another bout of vigorous growth. This is true.
However possums have now discovered the tree and are doing it serious damage. They systematically eat out each bud along branches that will take their weight in Winter, and have taken to stripping the bark off large areas of branches.Iassume there is a protective outer layer that they are eating as, contrary to my expectations, the branches haven't died, although the stripped areas have gone black in colour.
The berries are pleasant enough, and make good preserves, but I prefer the black ones even with their potential for staining which extends to the dropping of birds that have been eating them.

Positive winter_unfazed On Oct 9, 2004, winter_unfazed from Rural Webster County, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

The tree is the first around here to change color in fall.

Positive lxndrtg On Sep 18, 2004, lxndrtg from Haymarket, VA wrote:

I bought three and they are doing very well here in Haymarket, VA.

Positive trois On Jul 11, 2004, trois from Santa Fe, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

When we lived in Houston we had a large Mulberry tree that was a heavy producer. We dug up a couple of it's offspring and brought them with us when we moved to Santa Fe, texas.

The largest tree is now about 20 feet tall and had many thousands of berries. At the first sign of pink, the berries were gone. We never saw a ripe one or one on the ground. The birds and squirrels really love them.

Neutral melody On Jul 7, 2004, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

The only native Mulberry and widespread in ther eastern half of the country. Similar to the White Mulberry (which is native to Asia) but the leaves are sandpapery feeling and hairy beneath.

Very attractive to wildlife, the berries are somewhat bland. As stated above, plant away from high traffic areas....these trees can be a mess when the fruit ripens.

Positive chandacat On May 21, 2004, chandacat from Roxboro, NC wrote:

My husband & I just moved into a house with an adjoining back lot that used to be a plant nursery. This is our first spring, and we are still trying to keep track of all of the different plants and trees. There is a lovely mulberry tree that is growing out by the back patio, about 8 feet tall, and is just now producing berries.

Positive paradis On Jan 1, 2004, paradis from herndon, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

My sister-in-law had one of these in her yard in the Baltimore, MD for years and her daughter loves the berries. Unfortunately, the tree was destroyed by hurricane Isabel and we're having problems finding a replacement :(

Positive Larkie On Dec 2, 2003, Larkie from Camilla, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

We have a tree here on our farm that has been here 40 years or more.. We love to eat them, and so do the birds and my pet goats, so we all enjoy it, LOL..Next to Mayhaw jelly the mulberry comes in a very close second with me..They are ready here in southwest GA in late April, early May..
Larkie

Positive Yardmender On Nov 30, 2003, Yardmender from Galt, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Hi, I've had this Mulberry in my yard for about 30 yrs. It's always loaded with fruit. I also have the white fruit variety, but I don't know the name of it. They both produce really sweet berries, and they make great jelly, but I warn anyone who plants them to make sure they're way away from the house! I was too dumb to think of that when I planted them, and believe me I've cleaned lots of purple juice stains out of my carpet!! They get tracked everywhere! LOL The birds also love them, and when the berries are ready, I can see all kinds of very different types of birds! Plant one, and get your binoculars ready! Enjoy! Yardmender

Fayetteville, Arkansas
Huntington, Arkansas
Morrilton, Arkansas
Galt, California
Van Nuys, California
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Lake City, Florida (2 reports)
Merritt Island, Florida