PlantFiles: Ornamental Oregano
Origanum rotundifolium 'Kent Beauty'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Origanum (or-RI-ga-num) (Info)
Species: rotundifolium (ro-tun-dih-FOH-lee-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Kent Beauty

Thumbnail #5 of Origanum rotundifolium by Happenstance

Thumbnail #6 of Origanum rotundifolium by Happenstance

Thumbnail #7 of Origanum rotundifolium by Happenstance

Positive gzodik On Jul 3, 2012, gzodik from Fort Collins, CO wrote:

Gorgeous, isn't it? I stuck one in a protected corner of my patio (little if any direct sun) a couple of years ago, and it's doing quite well here in northern Colorado. Oh,a "volunteer" came up 4 feet from the parent, so apparently it does set viable seed.

Positive plongwell On Jun 8, 2012, plongwell from Olympia, WA wrote:

I love these plants! I found my first one at a local Safeway in Olympia WA. They grow very well all summer and fall in the NW. But they did not overwinter in pots in my greenhouse. I was so disappointed but found a local nursery who carries them. I'm also glad to find out the seeds are sterile. I've been saving and trying to sprout them. Thanks for such a helpful site. I have 3 plants this year year I will prize dearly.

Positive ericabelle On Jun 14, 2010, ericabelle from West Plains, MO (Zone 6b) wrote:

This is my third year with this plant - the first year I had it in a raised bed, it was in very dry soil. It didn't grow much, but it did bloom. What a tough plant! Last year, I moved it to a new raised bed with fairly moist but well drained soil. It is now in full sun, but it is shaded in the morning and evening by tall plants on either side of it. And we have very high humidity here. It did great, but didn't bloom much at all. This year it has come back and is growing like crazy, but no blooms yet. I love the foliage and will keep it even if it doesn't bloom well this year.

Positive pgt On Apr 13, 2010, pgt from Chalfont, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Ordered my 3 Kent Beauty's from Wayside Gardens and planted them May of 2009. They did great and bloomed that summer. It's now April 2010, and they survived our zone 6b winter in a raised bed, and look great. I love this plant!

Positive Shibainu On Nov 11, 2009, Shibainu from Lodi, CA wrote:

Kent Beauty grows easily but not rampantly in my Central CA, zone 9 garden.

I dry sprigs of its flowers in a small vase for a spring-like arrangement all year long. The color darkens ever so slightly as it dries, but remails soft and fresh for months if kept out of direct sun. The bracts do not shrivel and are delicate and papery.

Positive dougf4 On Nov 9, 2009, dougf4 from Hayden, ID wrote:

We have several of these in our perennial garden here in Northern Idaho and they do very well.

This Spring, I separated one and planted it on the edge of our fish pond and it just exploded in size.

This is a very lovely and hardy plant.

Doug

Neutral GardenDetectives On Nov 9, 2009, GardenDetectives from Saint Peters, MO wrote:

Regions with high humidity can treat it as a spring annual which will put on a gorgeous show as a container plant. Combine with hot summer blooming plants to cover it's scraggily summer appearance but do not remove and it is a beauty again in the fall. Makes a nice cool weather plant if you live in a region with high humidity and also combines nicely with nasturtiums and pansies.

Neutral zone5dirt On Nov 9, 2009, zone5dirt from Crystal Lake, IL wrote:

This plant was featured in a garden magazine a few years ago, and I had watched for its arrival in our local nurseries ever since, but nothing. Much to my surprise, this year it showed itself at our local Home Depot centers, after I had already potted my summer planters. However, I did buy one for myself and one for a friend who also was watching for it. When I did some further research, I was happily surprised to read that it was possible to grow as a perennial here, so into the ground it went! I'm so anxious to see if it survives this winter, although I recognize I didn't give it a very fair chance: I planted it in an area that will likely be wet with piled up winter snow. It shows new growth at the base, so I'm hopeful it has enough drainage to make it.

Negative man1410 On Oct 5, 2009, man1410 from Atlanta, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

My plant didnt last even a year in Atlanta, GA. I guess the heat and rain in Atlanta was too much for it.

Positive gardenhippie On Jul 23, 2009, gardenhippie from Stroudsburg, PA wrote:

I have planted this for 2 years in pots in the Pocono Mts, Pa. I have not tried to winter it over yet and will try this year. It has been beautiful both years despite 2 different weather years. This is a gorgeous plant that needs to have a spot to hang a bit. This year I planted 2 pots, one that was in the open and one that was protected by an overhang. The one in the open got bigger leaves and matured much quicker from the natural rain, the one under the underhang was in a shallow pot and had to be watched for water but was not left go to dry and it was smaller and weaker looking in comparison, but still nice.

Positive schifferle On May 24, 2009, schifferle from Lansing, KS wrote:

It came back extremely well for me in my zone 5b garden. I did nothing to protect it. The flowers are like the Dittany of Crete variety, but hardier. I'm glad to have this beautiful plant as a perennial instead of an annual.

Positive anelson77 On May 13, 2009, anelson77 from Seattle, WA wrote:

I have it in a couple of places, dangling over a wall in full sun and well drained soil. Both have come back after our hard winter. It is strikingly pretty, in a delicate looking way, but is a tough plant that needs nothing but sun.

Positive kentstar On Apr 25, 2009, kentstar from Ravenna, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

What a beauty! And very fragrant too! Last year I got a couple by mistake from Wayside Gardens (they were supposed to send me my miscanthus) and when I called the company they said to just keep them, and they'll send the miscanthus. They did send the miscanthus btw.
What a surprising treat for me to discover this lovely "annual !" It is everchanging here, and beautiful. Not your usual annual. I call it annual, but I will try overwintering and bringing some in the house for the winter. I was so amazed at this plant that I bought more this year!

Positive LJeske On Apr 21, 2009, LJeske from Spangle, WA wrote:

Plant over-winters well in zone 5a/5b (Spangle, WA) inside a un-heated greenhouse. This past winter, record snow fall prevented me from lightly watering plant so plant completely dried out and doesn't appear to be coming back. However...I discovered seeds!! There are seedlings (similar to lavender seed) that sprouted next to the dead plant and several seeds were still on the plant. We are attempting to start the seeds in trays and hoping the starts come out as true Kent Beauty ornamental oregano.

Neutral dbadger5 On Mar 26, 2009, dbadger5 from Stone Mountain, GA wrote:

I am neutral right now. This is my second attempt at this plant. The first one didn't survive. I am near the north Georgia Mountains. I bought several plants last year on line and planted some outside and potted some to take inside. I wanted to see if it would survive this last attempt. So far, those I planted outside are coming back. I see no sign of the plants I put in the clay pot and took inside when it got really cold. More later as it progresses.

I love the beauty of the plant is the reason I have tried again.

Neutral Bellafleur On Sep 4, 2008, Bellafleur from Holland, MA (Zone 5a) wrote:

It is a Beauty!! Though i never had luck growing it. I guess its just one of those personal "Impossible" plants for me. You know the ones everyone else can grow but me. lol. I sure wish i could! Ive tried one every year for the last 5 years, all in different places. I had to add some sand and potting soil in a large hole as i have clay soil. It still didnt work. Ive admired it so much! Im jealous of those who can grow it. I live in zone 5/6 in MA.

Positive pajaritomt On Sep 29, 2007, pajaritomt from Los Alamos, NM (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is an absolutely lovely plant with delicate greens, creams and lavenders. It overwintered very nicely in my 5a garden last year.

Positive vic9 On May 12, 2006, vic9 from Kenosha, WI (Zone 4a) wrote:

We love this plant although it is difficult to find in this area-
Kenosha, Wisconsin. It is a great container plant and thrives
in sun to semi-shade areas. Be prepared to be surprised at
what a nice complimentary plant this will be in your containers.

Positive Jnette On Aug 31, 2005, Jnette from Northeast, WA (Zone 5a) wrote:

Love this plant. It is gorgeous. I just acquired it this spring so will have to come back and finish this after trying it this winter.

Jeanette

Positive saya On Apr 12, 2004, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

In my zone 8B it survives without any problem...even our extreme cold winter 2002/2003. Temps went down to -20C ! It has a sheltered place..but it 's still a little tough one.

Positive Happenstance On Aug 31, 2003, Happenstance from Northern California, CA wrote:

Ornamental oregano, trailing habit, slow growing, needs VERY well drained soil.

Flagstaff, Arizona
Lexington, Virginia
Orlean, Virginia
Bellevue, Washington
Port Townsend, Washington
Seattle, Washington (3 reports)
Spangle, Washington