PlantFiles: Lotus Vine, Parrot's Beak
Lotus maculatus 'Amazon Sunset'

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lotus (LO-tus) (Info)
Species: maculatus (mak-yuh-LAH-tus) (Info)
Cultivar: Amazon Sunset

Thumbnail #6 of Lotus maculatus by momcat

By Calif_Sue
Thumbnail #7 of Lotus maculatus by Calif_Sue

Positive nonis_gargen On May 21, 2012, nonis_gargen from Aloha, OR wrote:

I have been using this plant as an accent in my hanging baskets and large planting urns since the early 90's. I have had nothing but positive comments on my basket and urns From time to time is has been difficult to find. For those in NW Oregon Bobz nursery has a large healthy selection of Lotus Vine.

Positive SwimmingJewel On Jul 5, 2010, SwimmingJewel from Southold, NY (Zone 7b) wrote:

ms_peteshill, I am growing it here in Southold this year. Found it at Agway in Riverhead, but can also buy it at Colorful Gardens in Jamesport and also Peconic River herb Farm in Riverhead/Calverton. Just rescued another one off the $1 'death row' rack at Agway in Riverhead. Wonder if the Agway in Southold has it too?

It seems happiest in full sun and kept a little on the dry side. Have to squirt it once in a while with Deer Out (Available at Ornamental Plantings in Southold) to keep the deer from munching it. It is NOT deer resistant.

Positive ms_peteshill On May 21, 2010, ms_peteshill from Orient, NY wrote:

I grew this plant for the first time in Summer 2009 in Orient, NY (NE Long Island). It did extremely well into Autumn, but did not overwinter. I found it a beautiful, healthy plant; but have been unable to find more for Summer 2010.

Positive koipondgardener On Oct 13, 2007, koipondgardener from Quincy, WA (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plant has been my favorite in pots for years now and it is not until just this year that I found out what it is really called.
I love the foliage and the flowers are amazing. I have one in a wine barrel half (with some other annuals) and it has taken over, it is enormous. It doesn't bother me one bit though I love this plant! Maybe next year I will put it in the ground next to my koi pond for it to cascade down the side.I bet it will get huge! I love this plant.

Neutral mjfulgham On Jun 27, 2006, mjfulgham from Madison, MS wrote:

This plant is beautiful and a very vigorous grower. I planted one tiny plant from the nursery in my 18" container and it has taken over! I am having to cut out parts of it because it is smothering my million bells. It started out just beautiful and under control and then end of spring just went wild. Here in MS the nights don't get cool enough for this to bloom, but I'm hoping that the foliage will last until frost so that that I can enjoy the blooms that everyone talks about. I tried to propagate this and it lived but hasn't grown - strange?!?

Positive hanna1 On May 20, 2005, hanna1 from Castro Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

It is a hybrid Lotus vine from Proven Winners (r), proven as a Proven Selection (r). Is a cross between L Berthelottii 'Red Flash' & L. Maculata seedling. Does not need 40F to bloom. Will bloom with temps. up to 55-60F. Has more dense habit. Soft orange flowers are more numerous. Flowering period is longer. Flowers are reminiscent of Lobster claws. Silver fine texture foliage. Great in hanging baskets, containers & window boxes. Watering should be regular, medium.
I love the flowers on it, so bright.

Positive rwc_gardener On May 3, 2005, rwc_gardener from Fresno, CA wrote:

Wonderful plant. Best in partial sun. Gives a nice tropical look to any garden, hanging basket or pot. Keep damp during hot months. Long blooming period.

Positive JuBabe On Jun 3, 2004, JuBabe from Midland, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

Absolutely beautiful in a hanging basket or cascading down the side of any type of container. It must be watered everyday in the West Texas summer heat. Doesn't tolerate our extremely hot full sun, but does well in the partial sun on the patio. Foliage stayed with me right up until frost!

Positive palmbob On Sep 8, 2003, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Great plant for hanging baskets and groundcover... curious flowers with nice, ferny-soft foliage that blankets the ground. However, it is frost tender, and it not very drought tolerant, either... if I let my soil dry out more than just a couple days in mid summer, the whole plant was toast. Seems to be pretty water needy. In a pot, drying out is similarly a problem- recommend watering daily in pot in hot weather. Seems to look like a full sun plant.

Positive Happenstance On Aug 31, 2003, Happenstance from Northern California, CA wrote:

Grown mainly for the foliage which is gray-green, needs WELL drained soil, great with a rock wall or border.

Albertville, Alabama