Smoothshell Macadamia Nut Tree, Queensland Nut

Macadamia integrifolia

Family: Proteaceae (pro-tee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Macadamia (mak-uh-DAY-mee-a) (Info)
Species: integrifolia (in-teg-ree-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Macadamia ternifolia

Edible Fruits and Nuts

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

By air layering

Port Charlotte, Florida

Sanford, Florida

Satellite Beach, Florida

On Mar 14, 2013, guygee from Satellite Beach, FL wrote:

I am entering the third year of growing a small grove of Macadamia trees on the north side of my house. I have three different cultivars, mostly Beaumont but one Arkin Papershell and one Dana White, the grafted trees being between 4-5 years old. This year all except the Dana White flowered, but there are only a few nuts left hanging on. The problem seemed to be a lack of pollinators this year. I spent time observing the flowers at least once or twice a day and saw only a couple of insects visiting the flowers. This winter was very warm and especially dry, so maybe next year will be better for the insects ... or I may have to take up beekeeping.

The trees are doing fine, growing quickly underneath the light shade provided by Moringa oleifera trees that are proving to be a go... read more

On Jul 12, 2010, pixilated from Hazel Green, AL (Zone 7a) wrote:

We had two of these trees when we lived in Claremont, CA, zone 8a the nuts can be variable as stated. We had one in the front yard that was delicious, but the one in the back yard was bland. (We took that one out.)

The trees are extremely hearty and even after losing 3/4 of its top in the wind it quickly filled in and we had nuts in no time! Well worth planting, but be sure to pick a known and delicious variety.

On Nov 10, 2009, Macau from Tucuman
Argentina wrote:

I Import and grow Macadamias in Tucuman Argentina, they grow easily if planded on their side, about 2cms deep in 20cms of river sand. Only half of them germinate and it takes one month. I put them in 4 litre plastic nursary bags when they're 7cms high. The East coast of Australia near Brisbane (where Maca's come from) enjoys 1.2 metres of rain per year, most of this is in the summer months. They need both water and drainage to thrive, but in Australia Ive seen them growing in clay with 40cms or rain and choked with weeds. I tell people here (you cant kill'em with a shotgun)

On Sep 9, 2009, billowen from Port Charlotte, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

I planted my tree about five years ago, it grew very fast, but only produced nuts on one occasion. I recently added sulfur to the soil. I understand these trees need acid soil, thats not common in south Florida. I would like to hear from folks through your D-Mail who have had good luck in this area. I am also wondering how many different varieties exist.

On Dec 7, 2007, katiebear from mulege
Mexico wrote:

I am in a subtropical climate in Mexico. I bought some small macadamia nut trees and they are growing well. I planted a large lot of seeds (nuts) about a month ago and they are now sprouting. The new leaves are purple-tinged, very pretty. This plant seems very tough. The leaves look like holly. The roots are long relative to the size of the plant so they are probably quite drought-tolerant and good for erosion control.

On Oct 24, 2007, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have not grown this plant.

It may be propagated also by softwood cuttings, grafting and seed. Seed propagated trees may take 8 to 12 years to bear a crop with the quality of the nuts being variable.

On Feb 16, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Very attractive and relatively common landscape tree here in Southern California. New leaf growth is especially nice. Usually only good crop of nuts near the coast. inland less so. Very tolerant of high and low water situations.

On Nov 11, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

This isnt a common plant in Rio de Janeiro either, though the climate here is apropriate to grow this. The nuts (fried, cooked, or covered with sugar) are delicious and nutricious. Not to mention that this is a lovely plant with a beautiful foliage.

On Sep 2, 2003, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

We can't grow them in Tennessee, but this Australian native (imported to Hawaii in the late 1800s) is a nice tropical ornamental tree prized for its delicious nuts.