Caucasian Wingnut

Pterocarya fraxinifolia

Family: Juglandaceae (joo-glan-DAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Pterocarya (ter-oh-KAIR-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: fraxinifolia (fraks-in-ee-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Pale Yellow

Pale Green

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

Copenhagen, California

Georgetown, Kentucky

Louisville, Kentucky

Roslindale, Massachusetts

Moyock, North Carolina

On Jan 9, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This makes an excellent large shade tree for parks, schools, golf courses and other large areas. "A much better shade tree than ashes, honeylocusts, and weak-wooded maples..."---Dirr---not to mention little-leaf linden...

Urban foresters have been seeking to expand the species diversity of our city trees ever since Dutch Elm Disease took out the American elms. Here's one overlooked species. The root system may be too aggressive for residential or street tree use, but for larger landscapes...

Best growth is in full sun on deep moist well-drained soil. Can grow 2' per year. Can reach over 100' tall. No significant pests or diseases, tolerates wind and drought once well established, adaptable about soil and pH. No significant fall color, but who's perfect?

On Mar 13, 2006, Gustichock from Tandil
Argentina (Zone 10b) wrote:

I don't really find anything atractive on this tree! I mean, it's alright but... there's nothing that can capture my attention on it!
Perhaps, the best thing I can mention about it is its trunk! Looks solid and its wood seems to be hard (although it's not).
Its seeds are very easy to germinate! Sow them in a mixture of sand, compost and sphagnus. I sowed them in Autumn, inside my little green house and in less than a week the little seedlings were emerging out of the mixture I've mentioned above!

On Sep 3, 2003, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Native to Asia, this tree's cascading flowers give it an exotic look, but it's actually fairly hardy, due no doubt to the fact it is related to the Caryas ("Walnuts")