Cabbage Palm, Cabbage Tree, Ti Kouka, Torbay Palm, Dracaena Spike
Cordyline australis 'Red Star'

Family: Agavaceae (ah-gav-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cordyline (kor-di-LY-nee) (Info)
Species: australis (aw-STRAL-iss) (Info)
Cultivar: Red Star

Kent, Washington

White Center, Washington

On Apr 22, 2015, LauraJoy from Glasgow
United Kingdom wrote:

New to this site. Hope it's ok to ask for advice... I'm very novice.

I used to keep my Red Star in a pot in the garden but my new flat has absolutely no outdoor space. I can't keep him on a window ledge either because he's too large.

He seems to be getting sick. The outer leaves started to go brown but I just cut them off. But now ones closer to the middle are getting small cream patches and it seems a bit like they're rotting. The tiny ones in the middle that are coming up are fine.

I do know I should have replanted him in a bigger pot by now and I suspect he's not getting enough sunlight.

Any advice? I was wondering about cutting him right back to the tiny healthy leaves...? Should I take him to the local community garden w... read more

On Nov 26, 2012, scvcampdavis from Kiawah Island, SC wrote:

Doing great, but hasn't gotten any height, yet. I think it needs more sun. I'll relocate in the spring.

On Nov 13, 2010, hoitider from Emerald Isle, NC wrote:

Really like thid plant one of the very few dark leaved specimem plants tha comes back here in zone 8,ill take about 6 of them in for the winter and put them back out in spring and they really grow nicely, the ones left in the ground come back but dont have the vigor that the others have ,this is a must have if you do container gardening

On Apr 7, 2010, purplesun from Krapets
Bulgaria (Zone 8a) wrote:

This plant was annihilated after -3 degrees F, snow cover notwithstanding. Krapets, Bulgaria, zone 8a.

On Dec 13, 2009, kdfisher from Ellijay, GA (Zone 7a) wrote:

Started and growing in hanging baskets since May of this year. Purchased at Lowes, I am surprised it has survived this long outdoors with a half dozen morning temps in the mid to upper 20's. Made it through some 20 degree mornings as well. Probably two or three heavy frosts and it still remains strong. Only time will tell.

On Mar 3, 2007, weatherguesser from Salinas, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Beautiful plant and basically takes no maintenance. Just pull off the dead leaves from time to time. Ours has grown about two feet in the year and a half we've been in our house -- it's now around 10 feet tall. It had no trouble with the recent frost in California (we had six nights in a row of temperatures in the twenties), unlike a lot of our plants.

On Dec 18, 2006, DebinSC from Georgetown, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

This plant was beautiful out side in nearly full sun all summer and fall. I've brought in in for winter and it's done great but the foliage has gone a bit greener with the lower light. Sheila965, I'll be interested to hear how yours did over the winter as it sounds like you're trying it outside?

On Aug 2, 2006, Sheila965 from Rincon, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

They had these at Home Depot here in Georgia and I purchased two of them. I live in Zone 8b. I hope they make it. Good to see not to water it too much. I'll keep that in mind!

On Mar 12, 2005, SOCALBOY122162 from Venice, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

This cultivar is easily grown in Southern California and and in Florda. Be careful not to overwater--let it dry out.

On Sep 13, 2003, Happenstance from Northern California, CA wrote:

Great color on this form of Cordyline, more cold tolerant than its green relatives. Looks best when leaves are cut at the base in an even pattern. Trimming it up also promotes faster growth to attain height and trunk strength.

Very suceptible to pocket gopher damage. Can be toppled overnight as these creatures eat away the soft underground trunk and root structure.