Flamingo Flower
Anthurium 'Red Hot'

Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Anthurium (an-THUR-ee-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Red Hot
Additional cultivar information:(PP9355, aka 75-10)
Hybridized by Henny

Lilburn, Georgia

Pearland, Texas

negative

On Oct 8, 2005, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

I have read it can be grown outdoors in the Bay Area. Have not tried that...yet. Indoors, a great almost all year bloomer.Red seems to be the most robust grower. Almost easy as a houseplant, unlike any other anthurium i have tried indoors.

On Jul 19, 2004, foodiesleuth from Honomu, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

Anthuriums need to grow in shade or partial shade. Especially during the hotter mid day hours. The roots are quite shallow and can be damaged easily when exposed to hours of full sun. Otherwise they are very hardy plants and will survive moving from place to place without any adverse results...

I don't think their not being able to grow in full sun merits a negative comment though...it is just the nature of the plant......

In Hawaii the commercial growers grow them in shade houses. Outside, they are grown under the protection of other trees and tree ferns and will do very well in deep shade.

We have some growing in partial morning sun and some in deep shade.....They all do quite well for us.

On Jul 18, 2004, gberman from Boca Raton, FL wrote:

I live in southern Florida.

I had a good experience growing anthurium in pots on my terrace in semi-shade. Then, I planted a large bed in direct sun. The plants burned badly. The flowers turned a sickly pale orange, and the leaves developed spreading brown spots.

I've moved them to another bed, and I give them a good watering every night, but to no avail. My conclusion is that they cannot tolerate several hours of full sun.

On Sep 4, 2003, Toxicodendron from Piedmont, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

I purchased a very small specimen of this Anthurium at Walmart several years ago. It really likes our hot humid summers here in the midwest (outside), but quits blooming during the low light and cooler temps of winter (inside). I have some orchid mix added to the potting soil to provide good drainage. The plant continually makes offsets in an upward direction, so I occasionally remove the bottom old roots and soil and repot it a little deeper in a new pot.