PlantFiles: Chihuahua Flower
Tacitus bellus

Family: Crassulaceae (krass-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Tacitus (TA-sit-us) (Info)
Species: bellus (BEL-lus) (Info)

Synonym:Graptopetalum bellum

Thumbnail #6 of Tacitus bellus by cactus_lover

By palmbob
Thumbnail #7 of Tacitus bellus by palmbob

Positive unhappykat On Jun 18, 2010, unhappykat from Stockton, CA wrote:

Tacitus bellus is a small frost sensitive succulent from Mexico, best grown in an unheated greenhouse with evenly moist soil and bright diffuse light or outdoors in a frost free lightly shaded area. It grows best with regular watering and feeding schedules but can survive a period of drought as long as ambient temperatures are not unreasonably warm. It blooms from late spring to mid summer, blooms last from 2 - 8 weeks depending on the conditions under which the plant is grown. I have had the plant for nearly 4 years and I have yet to come across any difficulties in cultivating it besides the vigorous growth habit which can necessitate frequent dividing and repotting, if the plant is grown in a container.

Neutral gooley On Dec 23, 2009, gooley from Hawthorne, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I grew this from seed about 25 years ago. Germination was easy for me, but the plant is fussy about drainage, and I killed quite a few by keeping their feet too wet. Propagation from "leaves" of a rosette was fairly reliable. I did not know about a chilling requirement to get this plant to bloom, and it never bloomed for me; eventually I gave away my surviving plants when I moved.

Positive Samarkand On May 18, 2005, Samarkand from Santa Barbara, CA wrote:

Tacitus bellus does not, I repeat does not like full sun. A
much better exposure is shade to light shade. I have been growing it for about 18 years. I understand that it is native
to steep terrain eg. cliffs of Chihuahua, Mexico. These cliffs face such that very little sun hits directly. If you grow it in shade which is open to the south, the flower spikes will all
lean in that direction requiring frequent turning of the container. A better choice is in full but bright shade. I live in
frost free Santa Barbara.

Positive jaffrey On Jan 24, 2004, jaffrey from Shortsville, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

I've grown this plant for abut 15 years. It overwinters well under grow lights in my basement in Ohio. I enjoy the surprise when this little somewhat nondescript plant produces pretty pink star-shaped flowers. It will not flower unless it is overwintered for at least a month at 59 degrees F or less. I keep mine from freezing, but it has tolerated in the mid 30's fine. I have propagated it from offsets, individual leaves and seed.

Neutral htop On Sep 4, 2003, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

San Antinio, TX
A native West Mexico perennial, succulent, herb, Tacitus
bellus requires full sun. It produces beautiful 5 petalled dark pink blooms that have dark pink/red stamens tipped with white emerging from a pink/red center. Although it needs a soil that is gritty and porous with good drainage, the soil must be able to hold moisture. The ideal soil should contain equal parts of loam and sand with small gravel added. The plant can rot at the root in soggy soil. Wait until the soil is completely dry again between waterings. A clay pot is recommended if growing as a container plant. Fertilizer at the recommended rate on the label should be applied only once during the growing season. From October to March, water very infrequently with just using enough water to keep the leaves from shriveling up. It can be propagated by the division of offshoots rooted in moist sand. I have not grown this plant myself so I gave it a neutral rating.

Chandler, Arizona